Omni's 3D thread vol1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Everything ive shown in this thread is scratch built by me using screen caps and concepts as refference ;)

and no not physicaly but digitaly/virtualy ;) using a 3D software. or in this case 2.

Wow man, that's freaking cool! Not to start another "Grrr" match, but I hope this is what you want to do for a living, because they are awesome! Happiest people I know are the ones that truly love thier work.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
great job omni!
Hay Rac! waves* fancy seeing you in here :)
glad you like it :)
Wow man, that's freaking cool! Not to start another "Grrr" match, but I hope this is what you want to do for a living, because they are awesome! Happiest people I know are the ones that truly love thier work.
Thanks! and np this is def what id like to do for a living currently i have made a teeny tiny bit of money off some commissions but not much, hoefully i can get my foot in the industri here in swe somehow..

OMNI

something quick i did mainly as a stenciling excercise over about 3h in total, didnt turn out to bad i think.. note that i was to lazy to correctly position the glyphs.

mw_stargate_by_alxshipyards-d39pwo4.jpg

OMNI

now then i made the SGA gate aswell here are the final renders of both gate types.
milkyway_gate_final_by_alxshipyards-d39s7v9.png

pegasus_gate_final_by_alxshipyards-d39s7xh.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BLOWN AWAY....its beautiful!

oh here is the second rebuilt mesh since my HD meltdown

atlantis_rebuild_texture_by_alxshipyards-d39m66i.jpg

How much detail is in that model? Have you modeled any of the interiors of that city? I would LOVE to see a walkthrough done of one or more of those towers. Looks like we wont get that from a movie, so what the hell?

AWESOME WORK!

OMNI

Sweet new place is up N running

i think ima like it here.
first artwork on the new board.
atlantis_scene_wip_by_alxshipyards-d39y4io.jpg

as you can see ive made some improvemnets on my atlantis. mainly texture, lighting and render.
It's very close to being Ready for animation purposes.
stay tuned.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
oh here is the second rebuilt mesh since my HD meltdown

atlantis_rebuild_texture_by_alxshipyards-d39m66i.jpg

i think ima like it here.
first artwork on the new board.
atlantis_scene_wip_by_alxshipyards-d39y4io.jpg

as you can see ive made some improvemnets on my atlantis. mainly texture, lighting and render.
It's very close to being Ready for animation purposes.
stay tuned.

The level of detail on those renderings is incredible! :eek:

Nice work :beckettu:

tetrion

GateFans Noob
Well done Omni

I, like yourself am fiddling with 3D, but due to my job restraints and studies, I haven't had the time to practice my modelling skills. I've played around with lightwave, now I'm currently taking the plunge with maya. I agree, it's a steep learning curve, and time and patience is needed.

Got any tips on tutorials? I'm currently working through Digital Tutors video tutorials. I find that although complex, I find the format sticks better than purely text instructions. I work through them when I've got some free time (not much).

The best advice I could give about getting into the industry (from game designers though), is get as much experience in multiple 3d software, as most companies use a combination of commercial and custom software. You could also create a few game mods, and present those to the game companies as a way to get your foot in the door. Games and movies/tv seem to be merging, and one could be used as a stepping stone to another.

Anyway, keep going Omni, you've got some real talent that's only going to get better.

OMNI

The level of detail on those renderings is incredible! :eek:

Nice work :beckettu:
Thank you! im glad the fall to your liking :)

I, like yourself am fiddling with 3D, but due to my job restraints and studies, I haven't had the time to practice my modelling skills. I've played around with lightwave, now I'm currently taking the plunge with maya. I agree, it's a steep learning curve, and time and patience is needed.

Got any tips on tutorials? I'm currently working through Digital Tutors video tutorials. I find that although complex, I find the format sticks better than purely text instructions. I work through them when I've got some free time (not much).

The best advice I could give about getting into the industry (from game designers though), is get as much experience in multiple 3d software, as most companies use a combination of commercial and custom software. You could also create a few game mods, and present those to the game companies as a way to get your foot in the door. Games and movies/tv seem to be merging, and one could be used as a stepping stone to another.

Anyway, keep going Omni, you've got some real talent that's only going to get better.
Well i considder myself to be doing more then fiddling really as id really like to make this a career but i have way to go still.

and lightwave you say? its def my program of choice for texture animation and rigging but i havnt really had an easy time understanding the modeler UI so i went with modo for that instead and toghether LW and modo are borderline unbeatable.

and yes thats the tip i have gotten from my mentor Especially to learn maya as maya is the industri standard across the world.

anyway since i had a rescent HD failure and lost everything ive been slowy recreating an building up a model library again and i will use those models to make a good demo/showreel that ill then begin shopping around and hoping for takers.

as for tutorials i dont really have any spesific ones but as you said video tutorials are the way to go as they give one more then then text and pictures ever could, and so far most of my learning over the past 2 years is all trial and error and slowly building a sense of what does what and how such and such effects this and that so im just tipping over the point were i m starting to feel comfertable and actually know what the heck im doing :)

and rest asured i wont give up and youll see much more from me soner or later :)
i also wish you luck with your modeling endeavours and id like to see you share some of your creations with us :)

OMNI

the view from the central tower balcony on my atlantis mesh.
shows of my texture updates in higher rez as well as my new improved water.

balcony_view_by_alxshipyards-d3a3wik.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am just amazed at your Q powers!!!!

balcony_view_by_alxshipyards-d3a3wik.jpg

It makes you feel like it really exists. What an AWESOME photo! I walways wanted to see what the city looked like with people in those streets and going in and out of buildings. This makes me want more Atlantis. :(

tetrion

GateFans Noob
Awesome Omni! It makes you wonder how many Lanteans stood on that balcony, dropping loogies on the passers by... LOL.

BTW, have you posted on spacebattles? If not, I suggest you do, as there are some amazing modellers there that could give you a few pointers.

I haven't really got anything I consider good enough to post yet, other than very rudimentary models. Like yourself my main modelling rig is out of action, as the motherboard has been sent off OS. I'm currently working on my study laptop, which is very limited.

I'll see what I can do though...

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede

http://www.deviantart.com/download/198376796/balcony_view_by_alxshipyards-d3a3wik.jpg[G][/QUOTE]

That is some fantastic work, man! :eek:

OMNI

It makes you feel like it really exists. What an AWESOME photo! I walways wanted to see what the city looked like with people in those streets and going in and out of buildings. This makes me want more Atlantis. :(
thank you! and well there arnt really any streets just flatness huge large flatness...
and from what weve seen in the show all the walkways etc are inside the piers and frankly that makes sence imo as considdering the size of the city and that it sits in the middle of a HUGE ocean i would think the winds would be rather extreeme on the flat part of the piers.

Awesome Omni! It makes you wonder how many Lanteans stood on that balcony, dropping loogies on the passers by... LOL.

BTW, have you posted on spacebattles? If not, I suggest you do, as there are some amazing modellers there that could give you a few pointers.

I haven't really got anything I consider good enough to post yet, other than very rudimentary models. Like yourself my main modelling rig is out of action, as the motherboard has been sent off OS. I'm currently working on my study laptop, which is very limited.

I'll see what I can do though...
Lol with an 850m tall central tower im sure those loogies would kill on impact :P
and yes i have a thread on spacebattles a thread on lightspeed art a thread on Scifimeshes a thread here and a well visited Deviant art account (link to it in my sig has more pics then this thread does.)

and i feel ya ive been there myself i still posted tho something i regret today as my old creations are embarassing now :P

well myself i am on a dual core 1,6GHZ 4gbRAM laptop myself and i can handle just about 3 million polygons before it refuses to render due to memory shortage.

btw which version of lightwave were you using before?
if its an older one i recomend you check out the latest one LW10 as the improvements in it are quite good.

That is some fantastic work, man! :eek:
Thanks man :)

OMNI

ok guys and gals. since ive started being a more active member on the boards ill now start showing work in progress renders asell instead of just final stuff.
so without further ado i give you bumblebee W.I.P one

bumblebee_wip1_by_alxshipyards-d3akrkh.jpg

this is sofar just his foot but it will soon grow into more.

Enjoy!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
ok guys and gals. since ive started being a more active member on the boards ill now start showing work in progress renders asell instead of just final stuff.
so without further ado i give you bumblebee W.I.P one

bumblebee_wip1_by_alxshipyards-d3akrkh.jpg

this is sofar just his foot but it will soon grow into more.

Enjoy!

WOW! And I assume you create all the moving parts in the model too? You are AMAZING!

OMNI

WOW! And I assume you create all the moving parts in the model too? You are AMAZING!
yes i intend to make the whole model but there arnt really any mechanical moving parts as we know them its more like a mish mash of random mechanical looking parts jumbled into something that looks like a robot.

check out the concepts of the original movie BB here http://www.benprocter.com/storage/oldersites/sitev2/html/PROJPAGE_Trans_04.html
and youll notice what i just said.

and last but not least here's an alternate angle of the foot.
bumblebee_wip1_alternate_by_alxshipyards-d3amng5.jpg

tetrion

GateFans Noob
thank you! and well there arnt really any streets just flatness huge large flatness...
and from what weve seen in the show all the walkways etc are inside the piers and frankly that makes sence imo as considdering the size of the city and that it sits in the middle of a HUGE ocean i would think the winds would be rather extreeme on the flat part of the piers.

Lol with an 850m tall central tower im sure those loogies would kill on impact :P
and yes i have a thread on spacebattles a thread on lightspeed art a thread on Scifimeshes a thread here and a well visited Deviant art account (link to it in my sig has more pics then this thread does.)

and i feel ya ive been there myself i still posted tho something i regret today as my old creations are embarassing now :P

well myself i am on a dual core 1,6GHZ 4gbRAM laptop myself and i can handle just about 3 million polygons before it refuses to render due to memory shortage.

btw which version of lightwave were you using before?
if its an older one i recomend you check out the latest one LW10 as the improvements in it are quite good.

Thanks man :)

It was something like version 6 or 7, I can't remember what. I will check out lightwave soon, but my studies have started, so I have devote most of my time to that, plus I'm getting into the guts of Maya at the moment, and my feeble brain is feeling a little overloaded...

Status
Not open for further replies.