Omni's 3D thread vol1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
well here is my current 3d project ie the destiny and i know most of us have an unquestionable dislike for the show but myself the one thing i do like is the ship and design of it.

anyway here is what i have sofar after 2 weeks of casual modeling.

Feel free to hate or love makes no diff to me :P

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 924
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 913
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 878
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 998
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 865

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
sweeeeet.

And yes, For anyone questioning why, Alx does indeed have a dislike of SGU :P But he wubs Destiny! :D So much he's made what? 3-4 different models? :P

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
lol yeah i do like the ship desing but i havnt made 4 version BC that the reason for all those models is my excessive need for perfection :P and i think im happy with it for once ;)

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
Omni's 3D and VFX thread

Hello my name is Alex (omnipotent) and during the last 10 months i have been learning experimenting and having fun with 3D and effects and as i have a passion for Stargate most of my work so far has included Stargate ships and effects.

ive had great feedback on my work over the last few months and ive gotten somewhat of a small following of people viewing and commenting my work so as i despice SGU and i like to vent and swear or just say what i want when i want without censourship i came to SGU's and i decided to show my artwork here aswell.

ill be showcasing my 3d projects and animations possibly complain or praise the SGU cgi and share any knowledge or answer any questions you might have about CG and VFX.

ok so enough of an intro rant and on with some pics and animations of stargate stuff! sound good?

well lets start with these animations!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_KQq2IwbaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_ABqdWT5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNR6iLUl5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WjdOBCacgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_VK_uxqt3s

Commercial for aragon101's Fanfiction.
[video=youtube;Mu-QbZSUfvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-QbZSUfvE

And here are some pics

First up my most rescent model Destiny updated version as ive mad 4 models of this previous but using crapware as modeling software
this is modeled with MODO 401 and rendered with Lightwave 3d

Destiny_4_0_Modo401_Texture_1_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

Destiny_4_0_Modo401_Texturing_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

And we all know what this is....
my fave city of all time ..Atlantis.

Haze_of_day__by_AlxShipyards.jpg

BC-304 Deadalus

some_texture____by_AlxShipyards.jpg

And here is something that shows a diffrent skillset of mine
Ironman modeled this when IM2 came out.

Redman_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

I_am_Ironman____by_AlxShipyards.jpg

Enjoy!

dont be afraid to post crit bash or flame i love all the feedback regardles ;)

Update soon.

Deity59

GateFans Noob
Holly shit, you have only been doing this for 10 months? You should be doing this as a job.

Having said that, any chance of you doing spaceships that don't look like they are flying through atmosphere? You know, like in reality! Always drives me nuts when I see space fighters swooping around like they are jet fighters.

Great work.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
This isn't even counting all teh stuff Alx/Omni has done for Dark Frontier, my fanfic series. I really should get about making a thread for that LOL

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
This isn't even counting all teh stuff Alx/Omni has done for Dark Frontier, my fanfic series. I really should get about making a thread for that LOL
LOL well most of that stuff is ancient (pun intended) compared to my rescent stuff but indeed there is alot of work there aswell.
then make one :P

Holly shit, you have only been doing this for 10 months? You should be doing this as a job.

Having said that, any chance of you doing spaceships that don't look like they are flying through atmosphere? You know, like in reality! Always drives me nuts when I see space fighters swooping around like they are jet fighters.

Great work.

Indeed 10 months and counting, and yeah i hope that ill be allowed to work with this in the future ;)

well ive been trying to duplicate the look we allways see on tv and personally i prefer the unrelistic look as it gives a more visually pleasing feeling ;)

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------

Ok folks.. dont know if there is any REAL intrest for this here but ill post anyways

"Lost in time"

http://www.deviantart.com/download/174240013/LOST_IN_TIME_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/download/174312673/SOLITUDE_2_0_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

Made with Vue 8.5 xStream

also first pic is now my new sig and avatar :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMG...how long does it take to make these models?

LOL well most of that stuff is ancient (pun intended) compared to my rescent stuff but indeed there is alot of work there aswell.
then make one :P

Indeed 10 months and counting, and yeah i hope that ill be allowed to work with this in the future ;)

well ive been trying to duplicate the look we allways see on tv and personally i prefer the unrelistic look as it gives a more visually pleasing feeling ;)

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------

Ok folks.. dont know if there is any REAL intrest for this here but ill post anyways

"Lost in time"

http://www.deviantart.com/download/174240013/LOST_IN_TIME_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/download/174312673/SOLITUDE_2_0_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

Made with Vue 8.5 xStream

also first pic is now my new sig and avatar :D

This is so impressive to me...its like having god-powers to create CGI models (to me). It means you can create entire worlds, ships to travel between them, aliens, etc. I know a guy who does cinematics for games and watching what can be done with a relatively simple setup is very impressive. I remember the days when entire buildings were dedicated to creating blue-screen sets for models, Today, an individual with a decent quad core machine and the right software can make an entire movie in CGI! Complete with soundtrack!!!!

Of particular interest is your Destiny model...

What program(s) are you using to create these models? What is your computer setup?

:)

According yo YOUR data, if scaled to human size dimensions, what would be the approximate dimensions of Destiny? Length, height, width, etc? Given the scale suggested by the observation window which we see from the inside (on the set) and the outside (of the model). That should give you a Rosetta point to work with. How many decks would you say the ship has?

Oh, and one more thing...

Could you please render a nice exploding Destiny for us? It would be such a satisfying thing for me to see. :ori:

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
This is so impressive to me...its like having god-powers to create CGI models (to me). It means you can create entire worlds, ships to travel between them, aliens, etc. I know a guy who does cinematics for games and watching what can be done with a relatively simple setup is very impressive. I remember the days when entire buildings were dedicated to creating blue-screen sets for models, Today, an individual with a decent quad core machine and the right software can make an entire movie in CGI! Complete with soundtrack!!!!

Lol indeed way back when i started last year i saw the other CG people posting on the web as gods aswell and even s far back as final fantasy 7 i was in awe of the CG cutscenes, and yes given enough time (and patience) you could create an entire universe or a movie.
and yeah i remember those days (well i was a kid but still :P) like the 3 original SW movies all REAL models shot in a huge studio set, ive seen some of the models THEY ARE HUGE about the size of 3 people and ways about the same :P.

Of particular interest is your Destiny model...

What program(s) are you using to create these models? What is your computer setup?

:)

well i started out by experimanting with Google sketchup which is freeware and very basic but it can make ok-ish models i stuck to sketchup for about 6 months before i made the dredding switch to Luxologys MODO 401 which imo is the BEST modeling software out there examples of modo made models are Atlantis s2-s5 and the show destiny which was also made using Modo.

but for animation scene setup and Special effects ive been using Lightwave 3d which alongside Maya (another awesome cgi software) have been the main animators/renderers used in stargate and almost all other movies and series that require CG.

but a few days ago i got ahold of Vue 8.5 which is a damned expensive and good 3d program for relistic scenery such as planet surfaces forrest, deserts, mountains etc and imo it has one of the cleanest renderers of all the softwares ive tried (and ive tried em all).

My current computer setup is a Dell inspiron 6400 laptop with dual 1.8GHZ and 4GB of ram so its nothing fancy and i reached the limits of what this computer can take several months ago.

currently i can render ca 2.8 million polygons (untextured) which has forced me to create some inovative detail layering meaning that on this destiny when the bottom is showing all the top greebledge and detail are hidden therby reducing the overall poly count so i can render.
a wise man once said "CGI is all about cheating when and whereever you can and getting away with it" ;)

According yo YOUR data, if scaled to human size dimensions, what would be the approximate dimensions of Destiny? Length, height, width, etc? Given the scale suggested by the observation window which we see from the inside (on the set) and the outside (of the model). That should give you a Rosetta point to work with. How many decks would you say the ship has?

well Stargate shipscaling is a sensitive topic as imo it isnt scalable as the people who has made the CGI scenes havnt had a specific set scale for any of the models we've seen and this is changed depending on what those retarded Powers that be want for a specific scene something thats bugged me for a while but thats what you get when you cheap out on the VFX.

(prime exaple of cheap cheaty CG in SGU is those smurf aliens, did you notice their movements? thats an ancient reused Mocap (motioncapture) and if you look at an asgard walking around i think youl recognise the movements)

as for destiny scale, imo logically it cant be more then 1000 meters in lenght dont know about height or width as i havnt scaled mine (i see no reason to as its in a virtual enviroment and if it looks the part im happy so noo need to go into the fine print ;))

as for how destiny is built up and scaled on screen its been one epic stupid thing after another, the obdeck for one a human inside the obdeck scaled next to one of the pyramid windows takes up 2 floors vertically on the pyramid, the same human next to one of the windows on the base is een worse as those windows become so tiny its not even funny,

and as we've seen people running around on the hull of destiny i took a REAL good look at the scaling they choose for the people and its just as bad as everything else maybe even worse as the people on the hull is 3-4 stories tall compared to the actual scale destiny should be.

this whole scaling shit is just another thing TPTB dont give a flying fuck about along with everything else, and imo it just serves to prove they dont give a shit about the story or the franchiese they just want a steady paycheck.
Oh, and one more thing...

Could you please render a nice exploding Destiny for us? It would be such a satisfying thing for me to see. :ori:
From the moment i started modeling destiny the goal has allways been to blow it up ;) so rest asured i will do it :P

and i was thinking that i might incorporate it into your youtube Commercial contest maybe make a vid of destiny have it explode and have SGUSUCKS emerge from the flames or somthing... we'll see :P

/Rant ;)

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Alx recently made me a picture for Dark Frontier, 2 actually, i'd post them but i'm on my cell phone and can't be arsed :P Alx! post the strawberry fields! :P those pictures are hot! :D

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
Very nice! It looks great!

I also like your Atlantis pictures. The one in the water and also those two pictures with Atlantis in the sand.

The other pictures look great, too, I am just more of a SGA fan! :D

47038.gif

Thank you!
and yes i much prefer SGA aswell but the design of the destiny taught me loads when i built it ;)

Alx recently made me a picture for Dark Frontier, 2 actually, i'd post them but i'm on my cell phone and can't be arsed :P Alx! post the strawberry fields! :P those pictures are hot! :D
You post em :P but write that damn chapter first :P

Wow Omnipotent!!!

You are truly skilled at this. Of course, my favorite was the City of Atlantis, but the Iron Man & Daedalus stuff was tremendously AWESOME too!!!

Can't wait to see the exploding Destiny!!! :D
thanks man! im glad you like what you see :D
stay tuned i'll be posting more scenery regularly ;)

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
New stuff!

some pics from an animation currently rendering.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/175583406/Daedalus_update_5_Animtest_by_AlxShipyards.jpg
http://www.deviantart.com/download/175585600/Daedalus_update_5_Anim_closeup_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

and some animation tests with the ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wY_ntOmp3U

The ship has now been tweaked and remodeled to some extent aswell as retextured and the lighting rig is heavily updated.

anyway i am chasing the realistic "show" look if you will and imo im pretty close atm what do you think?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just WOW

some pics from an animation currently rendering.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/175583406/Daedalus_update_5_Animtest_by_AlxShipyards.jpg
http://www.deviantart.com/download/175585600/Daedalus_update_5_Anim_closeup_by_AlxShipyards.jpg

and some animation tests with the ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wY_ntOmp3U

The ship has now been tweaked and remodeled to some extent aswell as retextured and the lighting rig is heavily updated.

anyway i am chasing the realistic "show" look if you will and imo im pretty close atm what do you think?

To me, its like magic. The same computers I network and set up for businesses can be used by an artist to literally create entire ships, worlds, life forms...its like being a Q!

BTW:

I fixed the video tags of your first post which the video animations in them. They work now! :icon_e_wink:

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Thank you!

Lol it is magic :P
and yes indeed these puter can surely do some awesome stuff. i wishi had a better one tho so i wouldnt be stuck on this laptop that tends to throw hissifits with HD CG models :( i NEED Power!! lol i need to save up some cash and get a mothership desktop.
and thanks im glad ya like it ;)
and thanks for fixing the links (i didnt even notice that they were broken) ;)
Dude, i know you don't believe in God, but you better start praying i get this computer job i just interviewed for! For someone without their A+ yet to get a potential 40k job will be an ACT OF GOD :D

And that means yes, i'd slip you some cash so you could upgrade :D I may even send you this beautiul ASUS Laptop i just messed around with that makes my Desktop look like a toy :| It's 1600$CA though so maybe not :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You do this work on a LAPTOP?!???

Thank you!

Lol it is magic :P
and yes indeed these puter can surely do some awesome stuff. i wishi had a better one tho so i wouldnt be stuck on this laptop that tends to throw hissifits with HD CG models :( i NEED Power!! lol i need to save up some cash and get a mothership desktop.
and thanks im glad ya like it ;)
and thanks for fixing the links (i didnt even notice that they were broken) ;)

WOW...I am floored. You do this sort of stuff on a laptop? The footage of Daedalus going into hyperspace is almost on par with the actual production footage!

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
Dude, i know you don't believe in God, but you better start praying i get this computer job i just interviewed for! For someone without their A+ yet to get a potential 40k job will be an ACT OF GOD :D

And that means yes, i'd slip you some cash so you could upgrade :D I may even send you this beautiul ASUS Laptop i just messed around with that makes my Desktop look like a toy :| It's 1600$CA though so maybe not :P
lol ill keep my fingers crossed then ;)

WOW...I am floored. You do this sort of stuff on a laptop? The footage of Daedalus going into hyperspace is almost on par with the actual production footage!
Indeed doing these on a dual 1.8 4gb ram dell inspiron laptop so i really need to update to something better sooner rather then later.

and thanks but the animation i have rendering atm will be more on par with the production footage then that one.
but its taking sooo long as now during the close up sequence im currently rendering at a speed of 46/min per frame so my 300 frame animation is taking its sweet ass time to finish, been rendering for 56h now and i still have 24h left before the sequence is finished. show quality comes with a price :P

anyone care to donate me a renderfarm? LMAO jk.

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
and here is something old i made for aragons fanfic
just to have something to look at while you browse this thread :P

[video=youtube;AhrhQjn-LRw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhrhQjn-LRw

Status
Not open for further replies.