Mr Mallozzi, PLEASE WAKE UP and stop telling people "those angry Atlantis fans" are the problem.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
It's probably just that it's sort of old news and he didn't want to go into it again. There is evidence JM dislikes/hates JF. I can't remember all the examples, but in S4 or so JM stopped mentioning JF in his blog and admitted JF asked him to stop posting pics he was taking on set. I think that pissed him off. JM started making references to difficult actors, workplace dramas, etc. In the MGM farewell video JM did, he mentioned all the main cast except for JF. It was very obvious. Then after the show, someone asked him what would be on Sheppard's dog tags, and JM said "I'm Number 1". Sometime in the last 6 months, someone asked JM if JF's criticism of SGU is one reason JM hasn't fought for an SGA movie, and he the way he answered seemed like it was a reason.

There's more examples but that's the idea of it.

Okay, understood. But there is LOTS of circumstantial evidence that Mallozzi is holding a grudge against JF, and as was mentioned by SGUblows, it has been covered in these forums many times. You asked what my OP had to do with JM vs JF, and my answer was that the purpose of the thread was not to discuss JF vs JM, but to determine why Mallozzi is dumping on Atlantis fans. The issue he has with JF is merely one facet of the whole picture. If you have been following the chain of events following the cancellation of Atlantis, you would know about the various snubs that JM has shown JF in his blogs and there is even a video example on one of these threads. I didnt mean to sound like I was trying to slam you. :). I have answered your question, havent I?

BINGO! :)
I heard all of this concerning the tense of their relations.I've never understood why pics reason was the origin of all this.
When I learnt the SGA cancellation I had some worries thinking the issue between the 2 both ones could be one of reasons of this cancellation not the only one BW RC preferred to choose sgu when Syfy has greenlighted the new show.If SyFy didn't have given his aggreement for sgu BW would have produced the 6th season.According to him he thought SGA would have this season but Syfy agreeing sgu and the issues between the cast and their excecutive producer JM gave him an another good reason to cancel it.This 6th season would have given him the opportunity to work more on his new idea.So like they rushed the end of SGA they had to rush the preproduction of sgu.And the both have lost their job.
In addition I heard too someone of the production would have accuse him to be responsible of the cancellation not in direct words.I can see here another evidence of the dislike between them.
I know I interpret some worries I had.

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
When I learnt the SGA cancellation I had some worries thinking the issue between the 2 both ones could be one of reasons of this cancellation not the only one BW RC preferred to choose sgu when Syfy has greenlighted the new show.
Well, there are plenty of examples of producers and actors not getting along on shows, and it doesn't lead to cancellation. If there's money to be made, the show continues even if everyone hates each other. I do think BW preferred SGU though, and that is the reason SGA got canceled. If that was because he wanted to do something new, or he didn't like JF, we might never know. I bet he made big ratings promises to Syfy, lol.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
Well, there are plenty of examples of producers and actors not getting along on shows, and it doesn't lead to cancellation. If there's money to be made, the show continues even if everyone hates each other. I do think BW preferred SGU though, and that is the reason SGA got canceled. If that was because he wanted to do something new, or he didn't like JF, we might never know. I bet he made big ratings promises to Syfy, lol.
I know this of course I only stress one of my worries at this time and one more reason given to BW.Look at JM who was executive producer is only consultant by now.In addition despite the tense between the 2 men I think the 2 last seasons were better and gained in maturity maybe more cos cast work than JM's but I must admit I liked scripts he wrote and ratings seem to prove this.
BTW I don't know if BW doesn't like JoeF I've never heard that but more the tense between JM and JoeF.This relation could give one more reason BW to cancel the show like teacher must separate 2 childs who fight in schoolyard exept the thing JoeF has obviously maturity adult behavior and professional attitude than JM's.
Like I said before I read somewhere one of the production (I see JM having such behavior) accused him being the one who was responsible of the cancellation.No proof of it only rumors

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Joe Flanigan fans seem to be disliking SGU the most. For example, last time when BJS got into a fit over a few JF fans.

Fizz

GateFans Noob
I doubt actor problems were part of the big reasons SGA was cancelled, but they might have had an effect on "well we really don't want to run two shows at the same time" thing that they had going on. The fact that they cast mostly youngish unknown actors who all toe the party line absolutely and play the scenes utterly straight, it seems they really were concerned about actors not becoming bigger than the writing and developing cults of personality by themselves, which is what seems to have happened on SGA. I mean compare what JF was saying even early on before an all out war errupted with JM. Then you have them saying "it's always us who are wrong, never the writers" in interviews. Of course I also get a lot more sincerely appriciating the show dispite problems from all the SGA cast, whereas every time BJS opens his mouth to talk about the show being Shakespeare in Space, I certainly get the feeling he thinks he's too good for this crap and if he thinks of it as sci-fi he'll cry.

And as an on topic side note, that I know has already been covered: 1st) Atlantis fans were a tiny minority that couldn't even keep their show on the air, new people who've never seen SG will flock to this show. 2nd) Spoil sport SGA fans whining about SGU are meanies who are driving everyone away. Yeah..........

I bet he made big ratings promises to Syfy, lol.

I'm sure he did but I'll never understand why or why the network went for it. BSG never got spectacular ratings and probably only lasted as long due to critical worship, and Caprica sure doesn't. Even on HBO, The Wire, the actual darkest, grittiest, edgiest show on TV was one of their lowest rated shows and was always on the bubble. The longest running sci-fi shows? SG-1 and Smallville. The highest rated Syfy shows? W13 and Eureka, not dreary space operas.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly.

Don't forget that SGA still has the highest rated premiere for the network's history. And, that was the highest rated episode until the W13 episode featuring non other than Joe Flanigan did a bit better. So, SGA had loads of ratings potential--they just squandered it with lots of sub-par writing...

Im sure that TPTB havent forgotten. They are chasing those numbers now, and they cant even come halfway close. If Stargate Universe managed to go over 2 million viewers for any episode, that will be the day that Gateworld will change their site wallpaper to fireworks and the squeedrones will all be posting in size 7 type how their show just broke new ratings records (for SGU only, of course). Atlantis had LOADS of potential. They could have done so much...they had an entire CITY to work with, which could fly from one galaxy or planet to another, had a working database for all things Ancient, and a great cast and characters. They squandered all of that because the writers were bored. Why didnt they just let them go and get new writers with fresh ideas? Why are these dried up writers so entrenched in Stargate? The only thing wrong with the later seasons of Atlantis, were the writers who could no longer write interesting stories for the show.

BTW, Im loving your new avatars! That one of Amanda in Sanctuary is awesome. Im in love with that show now. :)

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
I'm going to have a little stab at the writers here for a moment. Now I believe it happens when the writers conjure up their ideas, they simply don't follow them through. The main problems I've always seen in both SG1 and SGA is that they have what I call 'layered writing' meaning they add one idea, don't think it through and then add another to balance it out (for example the Asgard they were way to powerful, there was actually no real reason to add the replicators into the game, but again because they made the Gou'uld so pathetic, so easily defeated and unable to evolve to meet new threats you get the idea). Same applies to the Wraith, now if you pathetic these bad guys are the best you have. They use lame excuses like 'superior numbers' and completely lacking in any tactical sense (Atero device for example, since it destroys stargates, then why didn't the ancients simply upload a macro into the gate system shutting down every single gate within the network? Oh right, the writers didn't think of that did that). The writers simply don't know how to plan ahead, they've never had a great idea in their lives, and them simply getting bored of writing for a show which has so much viewer potential to me means that the writers need to find new professions.

Edit, I am currently in rant mode, so a little more cynical than usual.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
They could have done so much...they had an entire CITY to work with, which could fly from one galaxy or planet to another, had a working database for all things Ancient, and a great cast and characters. They squandered all of that because the writers were bored. Why didnt they just let them go and get new writers with fresh ideas? Why are these dried up writers so entrenched in Stargate? The only thing wrong with the later seasons of Atlantis, were the writers who could no longer write interesting stories for the show.

Great point. I would only add that there is at least one tired, bored writer *cough* *cough* that has been carried over to SGU. If these geniuses couldn't make use of the endless possibilities in SGA why oh why were they brought over to SGU??? If anything the writing on SGU shows that a "new" premise (read: hackneyed, stolen, derivative) hasn't done anything to "freshen" their writing chops or relieve their boredom with the Stargate franchise. If anything, the writing is worse, much worse and we all know it, too bad they don't.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
Im sure that TPTB havent forgotten. They are chasing those numbers now, and they cant even come halfway close. If Stargate Universe managed to go over 2 million viewers for any episode, that will be the day that Gateworld will change their site wallpaper to fireworks and the squeedrones will all be posting in size 7 type how their show just broke new ratings records (for SGU only, of course). Atlantis had LOADS of potential. They could have done so much...they had an entire CITY to work with, which could fly from one galaxy or planet to another, had a working database for all things Ancient, and a great cast and characters. They squandered all of that because the writers were bored. Why didnt they just let them go and get new writers with fresh ideas? Why are these dried up writers so entrenched in Stargate? The only thing wrong with the later seasons of Atlantis, were the writers who could no longer write interesting stories for the show.

BTW, Im loving your new avatars! That one of Amanda in Sanctuary is awesome. Im in love with that show now. :)
OK I get it.So why did they fire these writers and why did they hire some new?It was the only solution to improve SGA rather than cancelling it to another one with the same "bored" and non creative writers to create this bad spin off.
I wonder this each time I hear about sgu and its poor plots and scripts.I wonder this each time I compare the cast of SGA and sgu's one.In fact SGA is highly better than sgu's one.Why did they create new show with the same writers who squandered SGA before when there were so many possibities loaded of potential ideas and who showed such lack of creativity or imagination? They wasted all the concept and the cast.
So how can they imagine these same writers could create a "creative" show?:lol:
All of this is really pathetic.

iratecaller

GateFans Noob
OK I get it.So why did they fire these writers and why did they hire some new?It was the only solution to improve SGA rather than cancelling it to another one with the same "bored" and non creative writers to create this bad spin off.
I wonder this each time I hear about sgu and its poor plots and scripts.I wonder this each time I compare the cast of SGA and sgu's one.In fact SGA is highly better than sgu's one.Why did they create new show with the same writers who squandered SGA before when there were so many possibities loaded of potential ideas and who showed such lack of creativity or imagination? They wasted all the concept and the cast.

Yes and it beggs the direct question:

Can't anybody else write and produce Stargate?

I think that Chrisopher Judge and Amanda Tapping could be excellent Executive Producers.
A Stargate canon expert and Air Force consultant.
This takes care of the realism.
Next ... GUEST WRITERS. ALL THE TIME.

J. Michael Straczynski, Brannon Braga, LeVar Burton, Rene Auberjonois ...

Writers write the script, the experts validate the writing against the established canon it's perfect.

Alas, bad buisness decisions rules the day it seems when it comes to recent Stargate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They still are the problem!

Totally agree with this, but yet they arrogantly blamed the actors and just about everything else for their bad writing. They had an amazing cast in SGA and endless possibilities to delve into, but they stuck to their tired old formula of McKay and his love interest. They had a great leading man and they pretty much gave him nothing to do, so it's laughable that they expected SGU to do so much better considering that the writers were the problem all along.

And the writers are STILL the problem.

Last edited:

nakedwesley

GateFans Noob

The writers firmly believed it was their writing that brought in the fans and that it had nothing to do with our love for the cast and the characters. They told the SGA actors as much, which helped create an even bigger gulf between the two sides. That's why they believed we would follow them like sheep to the new show. Even when we tried to tell them otherwise, they couldn't see past their inflated egos to the truth.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WELCOME! And you are correct.

The writers firmly believed it was their writing that brought in the fans and that it had nothing to do with our love for the cast and the characters. They told the SGA actors as much, which helped create an even bigger gulf between the two sides. That's why they believed we would follow them like sheep to the new show. Even when we tried to tell them otherwise, they couldn't see past their inflated egos to the truth.

First, a BIG WELCOME to you!

:welcomewagon: :sgusucks:

Your message is EXACTLY what I feel. They they actually believe that THEY are Stargate, and without them, it cant be done. What arrogance! Funny, Gene Roddenberry passed many years ago, but we have a brand new Star Trek reboot which was wildly successful and with a bright future.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Hold it — we already have a Naked Wesley here.

(Don't bother trying to figure that one out.) ;)

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
I just went over to Mallozzi's blog. I have been three, maybe four times within the past couple years. I do know that when you write that much about food and nothing else he really should be a lot fatter than he is. I guess he has a fast metabolism. Or maybe the stress is getting to him causing his body to burn more calories. Either way his entire blog is almost exclusively dedicated to food. The only reason I went like the last two times was to see if this guy was interesting. I have watched him on the special features in the Atlantis dvd sets but we all now know those were just people acting. There are some serious problems with the people in command now. Joe you had your chance too bad you blew it. Science fiction entertainment requires science fiction not a blog full of flambet (I know I spelled that wrong but it doesn't matter. You ppl know what I am talking about).