Minimalist living - The Luxury of Less, the Logic of Smaller

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For those of us who own homes, this thread might not be very useful unless you want to use some of the smaller home ideas in your larger home. For those of us who rent or have a more flexible living space (even within another home) can make use of so many minimalist ideas. I think the best of these ideas can be found in the Tiny Homes community, which is where I have borrowed many of my ideas.

Each person's space is different, so hopefully those who participate in this thread will give details on measurements, perhaps some pics. I will do that myself. So let's go!

Well I no longer do any gardening so that has freed me up a lot. I even got tired of planting flowers every spring in my porch pot so I got a perennial last year and now I don't have to do anything but watch it grow. And my other plant is in a pot that I shove in the garage each winter. I will pull it out in late March and then let it do its thing. Easy peasy.

*Don't get me wrong, I love gardening but it takes up too much of my time and effort each year. Growing veggies requires a lot of hard work and to be honest I can simply buy them at the store.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have scaled back my living space to a studio apartment that is only about 600sqft. Surprisingly, it is more than enough space when thoughtfully used and organized. It has a nice sized full kitchen with new appliances, dishwasher and built in Microwave and pro sinks and quartz counters and laminate floors, but it is a modest neighborhood and only a 12 unit building, and the area is in the process of gentrification, which means the rent is reasonable. I would never have moved into a place based on usability and NEEDED space before. I did want to be near the water so I am 4 blocks away. I have a nice little deck which I have finished and use as outdoor living space. I am also using a loft bed so I have a large bed and an office underneath. I recently built a stairstep bookcase and put steps on the top of the shelves so my cat Siete can climb up to the loft and sleep there with me or hang out by himself. Overall, I think this may be the smallest place I have lived in, but it is also definitely the most comfortable and complete space I have lived in. I use every space and area with no waste. For my "right now" life with me and my cat, it's perfect.

My idea was to move into a space where I could use some tiny house magic and give myself all the luxuries without the cost. I had to sacrifice the garage I had in my previous place, but the area is safe for cars.

I want to post some pictures of some of the minimalist touches. For me, it's my new personal Feng Shui. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
we too buy veg and herbs in the winter. butt his ear will cut that back a bit and started with one 16" diameter pot, about 12" high, in it we are growing one multi stalked celery (grown from a store bought stump), multiple green onions and shallots

we have rosemary and chives growing in a much smaller pot on the kitchen window

all this can easily be done in a very small space--say 4ft sq, maybe even less

also, in the spring/summer, a container garden--usually a rectangular or square pot about 36" perimeter and about 16" deep can be used to easily grow multiple veg plants in one spot

use high quality compost -which you could make in or just outside on a porch in the right container-- i have seen ppl grow a determined tomato , a small pepper, lettuce and one or two stalks of corn in one pot. pinch and prune for second growths

I have scaled back my living space to a studio apartment that is only about 600sqft. Surprisingly, it is more than enough space when thoughtfully used and organized. It has a nice sized full kitchen with new appliances, dishwasher and built in Microwave and pro sinks and quartz counters and laminate floors, but it is a modest neighborhood and only a 12 unit building, and the area is in the process of gentrification, which means the rent is reasonable. I would never have moved into a place based on usability and NEEDED space before. I did want to be near the water so I am 4 blocks away. I have a nice little deck which I have finished and use as outdoor living space. I am also using a loft bed so I have a large bed and an office underneath. I recently built a stairstep bookcase and put steps on the top of the shelves so my cat Siete can climb up to the loft and sleep there with me or hang out by himself. Overall, I think this may be the smallest place I have lived in, but it is also definitely the most comfortable and complete space I have lived in. I use every space and area with no waste. For my "right now" life with me and my cat, it's perfect.

My idea was to move into a space where I could use some tiny house magic and give myself all the luxuries without the cost. I had to sacrifice the garage I had in my previous place, but the area is safe for cars.

I want to post some pictures of some of the minimalist touches. For me, it's my new personal Feng Shui. :)

That sounds really cool. I like that it's decorative yet functional.

I guess my path to minimalism has come in steps. Years ago I lost a lot of childhood mementos in a basement flood. I was upset about it for awhile but then like a year later I realized that stuff was in my basement where I never even looked at it. So did I really lose anything? Sure it would be nice to take that stuff out and look at it once every five or ten years, but really it was just filling space for no reason.

I started to lose my sentimentality over objects around that time. As the years went on I started to notice more and more how pointless it was to hold onto material possessions that were serving no purpose. One day I went through my closets and took out every piece of clothing that I hadn't worn in a year and I donated it all to Goodwill. That became my new rule: If it hasn't been worn (or used) in a years time it gets thrown out. It's actually a really good metric to apply to one's living space, especially in regards to clothes. Now I have a wardrobe that is comfortable (my first criteria) and very simple to deal with. I don't have to search endlessly for something to wear in a packed closet. And my laundry room isn't a confusing mess of piles of various clothes either. It's quite liberating now.

One area that I'm turning my attention to nowadays is home decor, particularly "knick knacks". Quite frankly, I hate them. I got a china cabinet full of crap that I have to dust and clean on a regular basis. It's not an easy task as every item has to be taken out and wiped down and then the shelves have to be wiped and I have to use both glass cleaner and wood cleaner, blah blah blah. I know it sounds trivial but it really is just an annoyance, especially since no one ever looks in the china cabinet anyway. (I found some decorative glassware in the china cabinet not too long ago from a wedding for a couple I've never met. That's the trouble of living with someone not on the same page when it comes to minimalism, they collect junk that is completely irrelevant to their (our) lives. Drives me crazy sometimes.)

There's more, always more.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I guess my path to minimalism has come in steps. Years ago I lost a lot of childhood mementos in a basement flood. I was upset about it for awhile but then like a year later I realized that stuff was in my basement where I never even looked at it. So did I really lose anything? Sure it would be nice to take that stuff out and look at it once every five or ten years, but really it was just filling space for no reason.

I started to lose my sentimentality over objects around that time. As the years went on I started to notice more and more how pointless it was to hold onto material possessions that were serving no purpose. One day I went through my closets and took out every piece of clothing that I hadn't worn in a year and I donated it all to Goodwill. That became my new rule: If it hasn't been worn (or used) in a years time it gets thrown out. It's actually a really good metric to apply to one's living space, especially in regards to clothes. Now I have a wardrobe that is comfortable (my first criteria) and very simple to deal with. I don't have to search endlessly for something to wear in a packed closet. And my laundry room isn't a confusing mess of piles of various clothes either. It's quite liberating now.

One area that I'm turning my attention to nowadays is home decor, particularly "knick knacks". Quite frankly, I hate them. I got a china cabinet full of crap that I have to dust and clean on a regular basis. It's not an easy task as every item has to be taken out and wiped down and then the shelves have to be wiped and I have to use both glass cleaner and wood cleaner, blah blah blah. I know it sounds trivial but it really is just an annoyance, especially since no one ever looks in the china cabinet anyway. (I found some decorative glassware in the china cabinet not too long ago from a wedding for a couple I've never met. That's the trouble of living with someone not on the same page when it comes to minimalism, they collect junk that is completely irrelevant to their (our) lives. Drives me crazy sometimes.)

There's more, always more.

You and I appear to be on the same journey, just different scenery! :) In 1988, our family home burned almost all the way to the ground. I was already moved out into my own place, but I had all sorts of stuff stored in the basement like old toys, magazines, TWO complete encyclopedia sets, a couple of bikes and who knows what else. I whined and cried but hey...those things were stored away and I really do not miss them. I overdid my first apartment by buying everything much bigger than I needed. Giant King bed, 8-place dining set and yes, knick knacks! I learned after moving to a different place that having a bunch of huge pieces of furniture makes no sense unless there is a reason for getting a huge version over a more efficient one.

Clothes are a big one. I also have gotten rid of those clothes I don't wear anymore. That includes "lucky t-shirts", socks I wore in competitions, any sort of items which are only being kept for emotional, illogical reasons. I have my three ranges of clothes, and only the current size is what gets hung up. The fat size and skinny size are in their own storage baskets on the shelf of the closet. I use a three tier shoe rack in my closet to take them up off the floor. With the space all organized, I was able to create a decent sized "living room" area in the apartment complete with large sheepskin rug, my wood coffee table and the fireplace. Everything matches colors, which gives the impression of cohesion and planning. Nothing looks "accidental".

Why go minimalist? Because it grows PEACE, and reduces stress to insignificant levels. It allows you to not worry as much, and to organize your thoughts. Stress has as much negative influence on health as sugar and carbs do!

Last edited:
A little over a year ago I realized I had several drawers packed with underwear and socks. It made no sense because I found I was always wearing the newer ones but just kept tossing them back into the bureau with the older ones. So I tossed all of them and bought a small amount of new ones. Then I got two small canvas baskets and put the clean, new underwear and socks in them and put them on a small shelf in my closet. It actually saves space and is super easy to deal with now. And most importantly I have never had to go without clean socks or underwear since I made the change. Why I had a billion socks I'll never know. It was a palpable relief once they were gone.

I still have to deal with my mass o' ties though. I rarely wear ties anymore but have a ton of them from when it was required at an old job I haven't had in years. Despite not wearing ties much the pile of them has grown. I've got that on my list to purge next and will only keep a select few of my favorites.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A little over a year ago I realized I had several drawers packed with underwear and socks. It made no sense because I found I was always wearing the newer ones but just kept tossing them back into the bureau with the older ones. So I tossed all of them and bought a small amount of new ones. Then I got two small canvas baskets and put the clean, new underwear and socks in them and put them on a small shelf in my closet. It actually saves space and is super easy to deal with now. And most importantly I have never had to go without clean socks or underwear since I made the change. Why I had a billion socks I'll never know. It was a palpable relief once they were gone.

I still have to deal with my mass o' ties though. I rarely wear ties anymore but have a ton of them from when it was required at an old job I haven't had in years. Despite not wearing ties much the pile of them has grown. I've got that on my list to purge next and will only keep a select few of my favorites.

the 'complications' of our micro lives is fascinating when you take time to contemplate, or read about what others say about theirs

hey, you just always ditch all of your boxers and go without....that would clear out some drawer space :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the 'complications' of our micro lives is fascinating when you take time to contemplate, or read about what others say about theirs

hey, you just always ditch all of your boxers and go without....that would clear out some drawer space :)

I ditch boxers and socks and t-shirts that get holes or are otherwise not perfect in every way. :) But I was infamous for keeping certain polo shirts or t-shirts or socks when they were attached to special occasions. Stupidest. Thing. Ever. I don't do that anymore. And magazines and newspapers are probably the most pointless materials to buy, let alone collect.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
certain polo shirts or t-shirts or socks when they were attached to special occasions.

dude, that is like psych counseling level... :)

personal note, the only items of military uniform i have kept--and I had A LOT after 20 yrs-- is my dress uniform jacket with the awards and citations on it, under plastic cover

I also kept a poncho liner, just because they are so damned indestructible, warm and comfy :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This sounds so much like me right now! I did that too with my underwear (and sock) drawer. I have been started going through my dress shirts and getting rid of any shirts with the wider collar circa 2000. I just threw out one of my favorite sweaters because it had a tiny hole in it in the front. Why do we keep things like that even when we never use them anymore?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
an aside- in korea -maybe elsewhere-when a family member dies it is a strong tradition to burn all of their clothes and shoes. no hand me downs or emotional attachments there

--Also, many koreans, when changing through life stages, like college grad to work or changing jobs--will also burn all the clothing they used in the past stage, even if it is still useful to the new stage of life.

now the ext family i grew up with (mostly Italian) kept nearly EVERY item of clothing that belonged to dead family members

west vs east; huge differences in many micro areas

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
dude, that is like psych counseling level... :)

personal note, the only items of military uniform i have kept--and I had A LOT after 20 yrs-- is my dress uniform jacket with the awards and citations on it, under plastic cover

I also kept a poncho liner, just because they are so damned indestructible, warm and comfy :)

LMAO...then you must not have many friends who are sports fans! The majority of men have things they keep for sentimental reasons, and that uniform jacket counts no less or more than any of my lucky t-shirts. At least I don't still have the first condom I used!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Why do we keep things like that even when we never use them anymore?

does your brother do this too? did either of your parents grow up in financially difficult conditions where it was key to do the hand me down thing and to hold onto everything "just in case"?

if so, you got it from them by watching their actions

hey my adoptive mom-who grew up in the Depression-saved EVERYTHING. well not actual garbage...

if we went to a rest...she took all the salt and pepper packets, the crackers, ketchup packets, napkins ,everything cause "you never know honey...when I was young we kept everything because we always needed it"

I do not do this though...thankfully! besides, my wife would never allow me to :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
does your brother do this too? did either of your parents grow up in financially difficult conditions where it was key to do the hand me down thing and to hold onto everything "just in case"?

if so, you got it from them by watching their actions

Um, not even close. I actually grew up in a quite plentiful home, in an upper middle class environment. My dad grew up on a farm in Omaha Nebraska, and my mother grew up in Texas. Neither was exactly poor but neither of them kept sentimental clothing. My dad did keep magazines. Comic books, old Blue Chip catalogs, and sometimes brochures from places we would go to. He kept his Army Air Corps cap not not the uniform.

hey my adoptive mom-who grew up in the Depression-saved EVERYTHING. well not actual garbage...

if we went to a rest...she took all the salt and pepper packets, the crackers, ketchup packets, napkins ,everything cause "you never know honey...when I was young we kept everything because we always needed it"

I do not do this though...thankfully! besides, my wife would never allow me to :)

See, now THAT (bolded) to me is far and beyond. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i have not watched any sports ,except some Olympics now and then- since i was in HS

and I always try to buy clothes that have no writing or logos on them.

That is me since about 1995. Before that, if it DIDN'T have a designer logo on it I would not buy it. I was materialistic then, and making lots of money. America was different in 1995. Nowadays, I do not want any logos on my clothing or even my food. Brands mean ZERO to me now. Nutritional labels are now king in my life.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I've never wanted branding on my clothes. A little tag or logo, okay, if there is no way around it.

I've always been sentimental when it comes to objects. Still have a bunch of magazines from decades ago. They mean something to me and I wouldn't get rid of them, unless I decided to sell them. This is for a particular bunch of magazines I should add, not all of them. Got rid of those playboys. :D Also my DVD collection, I wouldn't easily get rid of that. But there is significant financial value in that as well in the sense that I spent quite a bit of money on it over the years, not that it would actually still be worth what I spent on it. I have learned to get rid of things over the years, but there are some things I don't want to get rid of.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
See, now THAT (bolded) to me is far and beyond

Indeed it was...I usually got up to use the bathroom when I knew it was "collection time"!

My dad did keep magazines. Comic books, old Blue Chip catalogs, and sometimes brochures from places we would go to. He kept his Army Air Corps cap not not the uniform.

just guessing with my "I know just enough to get someone arrested mental health degree" :) that if genetic, which is what you want it to be, then you inherited a trait for saving items of a particular niche--like clothes for you, printed material for your dad (my dad saved all of his organic gardening and mother earth news!)

One of the other possibilities stems from anxiety related issues. I would say from what I know of you, this isn't the issue...

that leaves..you just liked keeping shit! :biggrin: