It's time for Doctor Who to be cancelled and hibernate for a while

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I made a big mistake - I watched the Christmas Special. Now I need some kind of memory eraser because it was just awful. I thought nothing could be worse than NuTrek or Jodi Whittaker...I was wrong.

Where does one start? How about the "acting". Both Ncuti Gatwa and Millie Gibson were TERRIBLE. They both came off as phenomenally stupid and totally unrelatable. In fact, I would say that performances THIS bad call the directing into question big time.

Gatwa was completely unbelievable as the Doctor. He felt like a dancing goofball with no wisdom or intelligence and did not give the sense of a millenia old alien all his predecessors (even Whittaker to a small extent) managed to deliver. He also was totally unfocused the whole time.

Millie Gibson managed to be dumb and unlikeable at the same time. And there is a plotline about an infant that makes her look REALLY self absorbed. Which brings us to...

The story was incoherent nonsense to be polite. The tone was WAY off and felt like some kind of horror fairy tale at times and a riff on Goonies at others. The pacing was inconsistent too. And Russell T Davies wrote this nonsense.

Doctor Who needs a hiatus and not to come back until it can be under a showrunner with the guts to retcon all the garbage out and fix the huge problems.

Last edited:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I usually check the comments on social media before watching any shows nowadays especially if it's something like Doctor Who.

What else did you expect? He made torchwood in a horror tv show as well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
My long time Who fandom compelled me to try once.....no more.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds like the Cancellation Bear is out for NuWho after the disastrous Christmas Special. They have a contract through 2025 and that may be it.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
This iteration is way worse than Doctor 13. They have ripped the lore to shreds. 2025 might not offer them a way to repair the damage.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I knew about the lore being slaughtered. I really did not expect RTD of all people to get the characterizations so totally wrong. Honestly I have no idea if Gatwa and Gibson are good actors. The directing was so bad you can't tell. And the portrayal of the Doctor was as someone both unrelatable AND stupid. If anything Millie Gibson came off almost worse because of the baby episode. Add in the huge tonal issues and this was a disaster.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
What else did you expect he (RTD) hasn't been part of the show for the past 15 years? I didn't expect him to polish a turd and he left the show for a reason because his heart wasn't in it. So why did he return when his heart is clearly not here? My guess is that the $$$ must be running dry.

My guess they are going to make a who universe like a multiwhoverse or we may get a trans and gay doctor who lol

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What else did you expect he (RTD) hasn't been part of the show for the past 15 years? I didn't expect him to polish a turd and he left the show for a reason because his heart wasn't in it. So why did he return when his heart is clearly not here? My guess is that the $$$ must be running dry.

My guess they are going to make a who universe like a multiwhoverse or we may get a trans and gay doctor who lol
I expected it to be a difficult watch as the Whittaker era was preachy garbage that damaged the lore. So I expected the damaged lore and even nonsense like the gay Doctor. But having both him and his companion come off as unrelatable and stupid? That was worse than expected.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I expected it to be a difficult watch as the Whittaker era was preachy garbage that damaged the lore. So I expected the damaged lore and even nonsense like the gay Doctor. But having both him and his companion come off as unrelatable and stupid? That was worse than expected.
I did want to put in a complaint to the BBC but which one do I choose?

1705132247529.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Poor quality would be the top level but theoretically you could say the quality was so poor it was offensive...

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Poor quality would be the top level but theoretically you could say the quality was so poor it was offensive...
That's what I chose and I got a response from the BBC

Thank you for contacting us about Doctor Who.

As regular viewers of Doctor Who will be aware, the show has and will always continue to proudly celebrate diversity and reflect the world we live in. We are always mindful of the content within our episodes.

We'd like to thank you for taking the time to get in touch and rest assured your complaint has been included on our audience feedback report which is shared with the Doctor Who team and senior management each day.

These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback within the BBC and can help inform our ongoing work.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team

Bleh - PLUR!

Last edited: