Is it possible to build a really cheap, basic computer?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
From one of the comments:

Cons:

Not upgrade friendly: There's no easy way to access the RAM, HDD, or even the battery. Although I really didn't have any intention of upgrading it so it's not a huge deal. This laptop is what it is and the slow-ish processor with low-end integrated graphics will always be this computer's bottleneck. If I need a faster laptop I'd rather just save the upgrade money to buy a new laptop.

:apathy:

If this thing is running Windows 8, then it is already powerful enough to run Mint very very well. My visual crawler found this notebook model to be this:

Asus D550MA-DS01

• Intel Celeron N2815 (1.86GHz) Turbo 2.13GHz
    • 4GB Memory 500GB HDD
    • Intel HD Graphics
    • 1366 x 768
    • Windows 8 64-bit
    • DL DVD+/-RW / CD-RW
That means the BIOS will allow disabling of Secure Boot and also legacy BIOS.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I maintain skepticism about Linux being the "answer". Having used several distros my universal experience has been that it needs to be kept out of I/O as much as possible especially on slow hard drives. Hence my advising going to the other laptop he posted which can be upgraded on RAM.

Keep in mind I maintain skepticism about OSX and Windows as well. To me the "answer OS" is not here yet. That said, I had good luck with FreeBSD using Gnome desktop and it may be my next experiment on my Mac.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I maintain skepticism about Linux being the "answer". Having used several distros my universal experience has been that it needs to be kept out of I/O as much as possible especially on slow hard drives. Hence my advising going to the other laptop he posted which can be upgraded on RAM.

Keep in mind I maintain skepticism about OSX and Windows as well. To me the "answer OS" is not here yet. That said, I had good luck with FreeBSD using Gnome desktop and it may be my next experiment on my Mac.

I was not trying to be obtuse, I am just talking about the reality of things. :) Both OS X and Windows, with their closed source bloated systems, are simply less efficient and less hardware friendly than Linux. I agree that the "answer OS" is not out there yet, but I do know that when it arrives it will be a *nix variant and not anything from Microsoft or Apple. Linux is the next big thing. It's almost ready. When the Linux phone comes out, it will be Android most affected by it, not iPhone users who have a different motivation for buying their phones. These new Ubuntu Touch phones are not going to be cheap. They will debut at around $700.00 but the OS will be 100% compatible across all devices using Ubuntu because it IS Ubuntu. The groundwork and connectivity is already included in Ubuntu 14, and is ready for the phone.

The overall theme here is FREEDOM and SECURITY. Closed source systems of every type (not just information technology) are just so 20th century that they are being rejected. This goes for cable, broadcast media, landlines, food sources, electricity, just about everything. Apple and Microsoft will both shrink severely in the 21st century.

This is why I advocate and enable as many as are interested when it comes to technology. I would never suggest that somebody attach themselves willingly to a closed system like Apple or Microsoft when I know about Linux. Even Android is not really open source, and neither is the new Tizen OS coming out on Samsung. Samsung will shoot itself in the foot if it copies Apple's model.

I just took a job at a very large global company as a Linux Systems Administrator. I am managing almost 200 machines (95% Linux) and some Windows Servers, but I can tell you that Linux is already a big footprint. Roku runs Linux. 98% of the websites on the internet are running on Linux servers, as are most mail servers. Most smart TVs are using a Linux kernel. The International Space Station dumped Microsoft for Linux.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You probably should not speculate without first hand experience. I think shaved is looking for basic instructions and a painless experience. Upgrading RAM on a notebook is not easy or pleasant, especially if you dont have the tools for it.

This would be a better choice: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...qid=1407037308&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=notebool

Linux is less demanding on RAM and CPU than Windows or Apple (any flavor). There is no need for more than 4gb of RAM unless you are going to run virtual machines or games. The OP describes the use of this machine.

So you like this one better than the other one I linked?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So you like this one better than the other one I linked?

Yes, I think so. The processor is more OS friendly as far as Linux goes, and it will be easier to install without tweaks. The Celeron is a mature design which has been almost perfected for it's CPU class. for Linux, this is going to be more than adequate and is not that much more than the one you picked out. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Something important....neither of these two choices includes an optical drive (DVD/CD RW). This will not be a problem if you have a USB drive/stick with at least 2GB on it. You can install Linux from a USB drive after downloading the files you need. Just boot into it. :)

Or alternately, you can get yourself a USB optical to use externally. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Okay, if I buy a PC and wipe the pre-installed MS junk from it, then install Linux, will it run faster than it would if I just left it stock?

Unless you're buying it used, you'll be paying for that preinstalled MS junk. Try to find a computer shop that sells PCs with no operating system, if that's the way you wanna go. You will save anywhere from $100 to $200 in most cases.

Bluce Ree

THAT would be an interesting machine to run Linux on as it is an Intel ATOM. However that also means it is a System on a Chip and has advanced UEFI which according to a number of internet postings completely blocks Linux at this time. I think if your plan is Linux here your best bet is likely to get the low end Celeron or Pentium and stick additional RAM in it to get to 8GB.

The latest kernels support UEFI. I wiped Windows off this Vaio I just picked up and am happily running Linux Mint 17 on it.

http://www.zdnet.com/linux-mint-17-hands-on-with-uefi-secure-boot-7000030092/

Bluce Ree

Overmind, there are threads out there about not being able to get Linux booting on Baytrail. It is the UEFI plus the CPU I think.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2224071

http://www.linuxine.com/story/asus-bay-trail-t100-not-linux-friendly

It sounds like it may need custom install and maybe a kernel revision.

You're looking at old articles.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_baytrail_fedora20&num=1

Latest kernels don't have an issue running on Baytrail and/or UEFI.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Unless you're buying it used, you'll be paying for that preinstalled MS junk. Try to find a computer shop that sells PCs with no operating system, if that's the way you wanna go. You will save anywhere from $100 to $200 in most cases.

This begs the question of where to find these "computer shops"? I've been looking online but things seemed to have changed over the years. Back in the day you could build your own computer by ordering the various parts but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. At any rate, give me more info on your suggestion as I'm eager to hear more. And no, you don't have to take your pants off. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Something important....neither of these two choices includes an optical drive (DVD/CD RW). This will not be a problem if you have a USB drive/stick with at least 2GB on it. You can install Linux from a USB drive after downloading the files you need. Just boot into it. :)

Or alternately, you can get yourself a USB optical to use externally. :)

I saw that they don't include DVD drives anymore, but I'm totally cool with that. I'd be using a USB stick for most things anyway.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This begs the question of where to find these "computer shops"? I've been looking online but things seemed to have changed over the years. Back in the day you could build your own computer by ordering the various parts but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. At any rate, give me more info on your suggestion as I'm eager to hear more. And no, you don't have to take your pants off. ;)

Its Sunday! I dont even put them on....just boxer shorts today. :) You could save even more and buy used.. But about buying parts, you still can do that but you have to order them online from places like NewEgg, CDW, even Amazon. Are you actually wanting a tower type PC? That might even be better than a laptop.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Its Sunday! I dont even put them on....just boxer shorts today. :) You could save even more and buy used.. But about buying parts, you still can do that but you have to order them online from places like NewEgg, CDW, even Amazon. Are you actually wanting a tower type PC? That might even be better than a laptop.

I'm so used to using a laptop/notebook that I completely forgot about desktop tower PC's. But yes, I could definitely go for a tower desktop PC. I realized I won't need to be mobile with this one as I'll be using it at a desk anyway, so if I can find a good deal on a desktop PC that would be cool. :encouragement:

I like Bluce's idea of finding one that's blank to begin with so any suggestions on how to do that would be appreciated.

B

Backstep

I'm so used to using a laptop/notebook that I completely forgot about desktop tower PC's. But yes, I could definitely go for a tower desktop PC. I realized I won't need to be mobile with this one as I'll be using it at a desk anyway, so if I can find a good deal on a desktop PC that would be cool. :encouragement:

I like Bluce's idea of finding one that's blank to begin with so any suggestions on how to do that would be appreciated.

You could do as my nephew did, when using the rescue and after the hard drive is wiped, click cancel or or stop. He had deleted the partition with the install (drive d?) to make room for new games, before he did the rescue.

Bluce Ree

Go for a refurb:

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Produ...0-503&ef_id=U@AEvgAAAUqBatBz:20140804223200:s

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Don't worry folks, I haven't forgotten about this thread. A buddy has a lead on getting me a cheap notebook that should fit my needs nicely, but it's not for sure yet and I'm still waiting to hear more details. It might be a refurb or I might have to refurb it myself quite possibly. Again, I'm short on details but I'll let everyone know what I find out eventually.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't worry folks, I haven't forgotten about this thread. A buddy has a lead on getting me a cheap notebook that should fit my needs nicely, but it's not for sure yet and I'm still waiting to hear more details. It might be a refurb or I might have to refurb it myself quite possibly. Again, I'm short on details but I'll let everyone know what I find out eventually.

Go at your own pace! :) Sometimes things take just that long to get the perfect deal at the right time.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Just found out that I might be back to square one again. That sucks because this one would have been free but that's how it goes sometimes. There's still a chance it might go thru but I have to wait a bit to find out.