iPhone 6 has been announced

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
5 Guys is better than In N Out?

Oh my yes....way WAY better. But you cannot really compare them because Five Guys cant make you a burger in less than 10 minutes. You have to order and then wait 15-20 min for them to make the burger, toast the buns and fry your fries, as well as fry any bacon you might have ordered on the burger (they do not prepare them in advance). All In N Outs are drive throughs, and you can have your excellent (but fast food) Double Double in 10 minutes, as well as the fries which may be an hour old (at most). But that In N Out burger with the fries will cost you about 5 bucks, where the Five Guys basic burger without cheese STARTS at $6.09. The medium fries at Five Guys cost as much as a Double Double.

http://fiveguys.com/

Prices: http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/five-guys-prices/

They are even Zagat rated. :) They are in most states, but not in Florida. :( http://fiveguys.com/locations/store-list-by-state.aspx

Next time I go there, I will do a video like I did for In N Out. :)

Here is what Five Guys burger and fries looks like:

ficeguys.jpeg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Coming back to the thread topic, I got to play with a 4.7 inch iPhone 6 today (I was on the road and at a tech meeting):

Pros:

Feels good in the hand. High build quality (aluminum casing and glass crystal display. Everything feels nice and tight and solid with no flex or creaking. Display looks really good - I gather they worked through their prior issues with color registration because now it looks perfect (in the specs it speaks of using a new RGB scheme). Supports a/c WiFi, WiFi telephony, VoLTE, in fact covers all LTE bands now. Raw processor speed is high as well.

What is also interesting is the phone did not feel really "big". It seems they got to 4.7 by getting a bit taller and a bit wider so this screen felt more natural instead of excessively narrow - also all the apps I opened just automatically resized to the screen properly. It also has a function where you can tap (not click) the bottom button twice to rescale everything automatically for one handed use.

Completely De-Googled just like OS X Yosemite. Sends no data to Google.

Cons:

From what I can see the browser still does not support reflow. Kind of pricey to me.

Me, I think I'd still stick to an Android that I have wiped and refreshed with a ROM that has no Google Apps or bits in it. So far Cyanogenmod seems to fill that bill, as I have zero interest in sending Google everything I do on my phone.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Coming back to the thread topic, I got to play with a 4.7 inch iPhone 6 today (I was on the road and at a tech meeting):

Pros:

Feels good in the hand. High build quality (aluminum casing and glass crystal display. Everything feels nice and tight and solid with no flex or creaking. Display looks really good - I gather they worked through their prior issues with color registration because now it looks perfect (in the specs it speaks of using a new RGB scheme). Supports a/c WiFi, WiFi telephony, VoLTE, in fact covers all LTE bands now. Raw processor speed is high as well.

What is also interesting is the phone did not feel really "big". It seems they got to 4.7 by getting a bit taller and a bit wider so this screen felt more natural instead of excessively narrow - also all the apps I opened just automatically resized to the screen properly. It also has a function where you can tap (not click) the bottom button twice to rescale everything automatically for one handed use.

Completely De-Googled just like OS X Yosemite. Sends no data to Google.

Cons:

From what I can see the browser still does not support reflow. Kind of pricey to me.

Me, I think I'd still stick to an Android that I have wiped and refreshed with a ROM that has no Google Apps or bits in it. So far Cyanogenmod seems to fill that bill, as I have zero interest in sending Google everything I do on my phone.

I will find out first hand in about a week myself (one has been ordered for testing). But as great as it is to be coming to Apple, everything Im seeing has been in premium Android phones for years. Apple has nothing to compare even to the relatively tepid Galaxy S5. But the new HTC and Sony phones (particularly the Sony) have those aluminum cases, crystal displays with higher resolution than iPhone, better cameras, and more power. A lot more. Yet the Apple will cost the most. Just LOL!

Im with you, Im sticking with Android...for now. When Ubuntu Phone is released this year, things WILL change very rapidly in the smartphone world. What they are going to do with it will be a first, and it's introduction will be a "shock and awe" event. It will be the first phone that, when connected to a monitor via HDMI (or screen casting), will automatically reconfigure the UI as a desktop version of Ubuntu, complete with mouse and keyboard connectivity via Bluetooth. :)

Game changer. The specs on it even blow Samsung away.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Remember the Ubuntu Edge is not a mass market device but rather just a limited run concept phone.

On the other phones, actually right just now only the iPhone 6 will be sporting this level of LTE connectivity, VoLTE and ac wifi. Of course, it's because they got the newest Qualcomm LTE and Wifi chips before anyone else so I imagine other OEMs will be rolling out similar tech in the near future.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Remember the Ubuntu Edge is not a mass market device but rather just a limited run concept phone.

On the other phones, actually right just now only the iPhone 6 will be sporting this level of LTE connectivity, VoLTE and ac wifi. Of course, it's because they got the newest Qualcomm LTE and Wifi chips before anyone else so I imagine other OEMs will be rolling out similar tech in the near future.

:) Please provide the source of that information? I happen to know that the Samsung Galaxy S5 already has the latest Qualcomm FSM90xx and they came out with it first. Apple has not come out with anything first in a long long time. Everything Apple is rolling out in the iPhone 6 has been rolled out months (or years) ago by Android and the manufacturers who build the phones it runs on. There is nothing Apple has that is Best in Class as far as smartphones go. At least not objectively. Things like "User experience", and asthetics are subjective things.

However, if you can present evidence that Apple has a newer Qualcomm LTE and better wifi chip...:) These specs are not impressive:

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-6378.php

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not defending the iPhone or putting down the Samsungs. I'm simply noting that the iPhone 6 is sporting 20 LTE channels which is indeed more than any other smartphone. The ac WiFi comes from the Qualcomm modem chip which it does seem the S5 has the same one (for some reason I had the wrong part number on the iPhone 6 modem - I had 9635 not 9625). So I imagine the S5 will have some level of VoLTE capability.

Remember I'm not an Apple fanboy - nothing they announced is really all that earthshaking in hardware terms and mostly it brings the iPhone into line with other smartphones in strict hardware specs. The display tech is new but not earthshaking as it is a riff on HD LED.

CPUs aren't really comparable as the Apple A8 is pretty much its own processor family (Apple is an ARM licensee and largely designs its own CPU that is ARM compliant). Plus the OS is written very closely to the hardware on an iPhone so again it's difficult to compare.

So, we'll have to wait and see how it does.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not defending the iPhone or putting down the Samsungs. I'm simply noting that the iPhone 6 is sporting 20 LTE channels which is indeed more than any other smartphone. The ac WiFi comes from the Qualcomm modem chip which it does seem the S5 has the same one (for some reason I had the wrong part number on the iPhone 6 modem - I had 9635 not 9625). So I imagine the S5 will have some level of VoLTE capability.

I know you are not a fanboy, I was just wanting the information to be correct. :) As far as I am aware, the latest Qualcomm LTE chips are the same in the phone, but that the iPhone 6 modem is only half as powerful, which will directly affect maximum data throughput from the carrier (150mbps vs 300mbps). The number of LTE channels is less relevant than the maximum data throughput relative to streaming an data upload.

Remember I'm not an Apple fanboy - nothing they announced is really all that earthshaking in hardware terms and mostly it brings the iPhone into line with other smartphones in strict hardware specs. The display tech is new but not earthshaking as it is a riff on HD LED.

I know you are not an Apple fanboy. :) The snarky attitude I have towards Apple comes from looking at the device strictly in terms of capabilities and hardware. The top of the line Apple iPhone is significantly under the bar. Offerings from HTC, LG, Nokia, Motorola and Samsung all best the best specs of the iPhone6 and it has not yet been released yet. When it does, it will be sporting features that are already commonplace. I think that the Apple Watch is the sleeper device they are wanting to sell. By shutting out the iPhone 4 and 4S from the Apple Watch garden, the company will force upgrades (or switchovers) to those who feel that the Apple Watch is a "must have" accessory.

CPUs aren't really comparable as the Apple A8 is pretty much its own processor family (Apple is an ARM licensee and largely designs its own CPU that is ARM compliant). Plus the OS is written very closely to the hardware on an iPhone so again it's difficult to compare.

So, we'll have to wait and see how it does.

That is true. But the A8 is only a dual core processor. An impressive dual core, but a dual core nonetheless. And it is much cheaper to make. Seeing the advertising copy from Apple touting "8x faster!" means nothing unless you qualify it by noting that they were referring the A8 being 8x faster than the A7, not the quad core processors in other smartphones.

When you add up all of the real specs of the iPhone 6, the cost of the hardware and the performance of the device, it is still not compelling to most premium Android users, yourself included. :). It is a nice phone, no dobt about it. It is premium looking and priced, and it has cachet...it's an Apple product. They will sell a lot of them. But it is not the next big thing. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Oh my yes....way WAY better. But you cannot really compare them because Five Guys cant make you a burger in less than 10 minutes. You have to order and then wait 15-20 min for them to make the burger, toast the buns and fry your fries, as well as fry any bacon you might have ordered on the burger (they do not prepare them in advance). All In N Outs are drive throughs, and you can have your excellent (but fast food) Double Double in 10 minutes, as well as the fries which may be an hour old (at most). But that In N Out burger with the fries will cost you about 5 bucks, where the Five Guys basic burger without cheese STARTS at $6.09. The medium fries at Five Guys cost as much as a Double Double.

http://fiveguys.com/

Prices: http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/five-guys-prices/

They are even Zagat rated. :) They are in most states, but not in Florida. :( http://fiveguys.com/locations/store-list-by-state.aspx

Yeah, there are 3 of them just within a few blocks of where I am in Miami, including one at the Aventura Mall. :icon_lol:

5 Guys are everywhere in South Florida.

http://www.fiveguys.com/locations/store-list-by-state.aspx#FL

They're even in Montreal but, up here, they're too expensive to be worth it.

The food is fresh, I admit, but it doesn't take them 20 minutes to prepare a burger and fries, especially during peak hours. The one at the mall has a dozen people constantly preparing orders at lunch. From cash to tray, roughly 10 minutes for a burger and fries.

Bluce Ree

More...

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-iphone-6-vs-galaxy-s5-and-htc-one-m8/

View attachment 30320

Not looking good on Prom Night. The iPhone 6 will have the older MDM9625 modem which is only capable of 150mbps (not 300mbps), and it cannot support Cat6 LTE like the Galaxy S5 can. Here is more:

http://www.dailytech.com/Numerous Leaks Detail 47 iPhone 6 Processor RAM Cellular and NFC Capabilities/article36479c.htm

Im pretty sure you are mistaken about the information you gave about the Qualcomm and the Wifi chips.

You know, Apple is hilarious. They quote battery life in terms of 3G despite having LTE capability in an almost all-LTE world. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, there are 3 of them just within a few blocks of where I am in Miami, including one at the Aventura Mall. :icon_lol:

5 Guys are everywhere in South Florida.

http://www.fiveguys.com/locations/store-list-by-state.aspx#FL

They're even in Montreal but, up here, they're too expensive to be worth it.

The food is fresh, I admit, but it doesn't take them 20 minutes to prepare a burger and fries, especially during peak hours. The one at the mall has a dozen people constantly preparing orders at lunch. From cash to tray, roughly 10 minutes for a burger and fries.

During lunch hour, the Five Guys in El Segundo can crank them out in about 15 minutes, but if you get the bacon burger with other than "all the way" toppings, it can take up to 20 min with the fries and shake. I just thought they were not in Florida because those are not listed on their website. :) How do you like them?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Bluce Ree

During lunch hour, the Five Guys in El Segundo can crank them out in about 15 minutes, but if you get the bacon burger with other than "all the way" toppings, it can take up to 20 min with the fries and shake. I just thought they were not in Florida because those are not listed on their website. :) How do you like them?

Click the link I pasted. You'll be overwhelmed with Florida locations right on their website.

I like 5 Guys. I've posted in the past that I wish there was a 5 Guys open when I get my rare midnight junk cravings and, instead, I end up at McDonalds. :icon_lol:

The only time I've had 5 Guys take anywhere longer than 15 minutes is when I was the only customer in there and nothing was on the grill. They don't make the fries "on order" but they don't keep them there long, either.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Click the link I pasted. You'll be overwhelmed with Florida locations right on their website.

I like 5 Guys. I've posted in the past that I wish there was a 5 Guys open when I get my rare midnight junk cravings and, instead, I end up at McDonalds. :icon_lol:

The only time I've had 5 Guys take anywhere longer than 15 minutes is when I was the only customer in there and nothing was on the grill. They don't make the fries "on order" but they don't keep them there long, either.

Out this way, they have to make those fries because Five Guys is always packed from opening to closing. There are only three of them in the South Bay.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That reminds me.,..Apple iPhones only have 1gb of RAM, and that includes the new iPhone 6. Most premium smartphones have at least 2gb of RAM and some have 3gb. Anyway, it still comes down to putting lipstick on the pig. They are still using old technology to create "new" products.

Actually it's not completely fair to say it is all old technology because not all of it is. The CPU is new for example.

The RAM thing is interesting. I have never seen an iPhone freeze up or stutter in any way and they always seem to run fast. That is probably the result of a combination of their multitasking model and VERY strict application programming requirements as they seem to be running under the RAM limit and without resorting to storage swapping. It would be interesting to find something definitive on how this works in iOS.

Android phones pack more RAM because they need it. The apps use more RAM on average to run, the VM is also a RAM consumer and the multitasking model has apps running more or less full in the background. More RAM allows this model and packing a bigger battery allows the phone to pay the increased energy bill without killing battery life.

Windows Phones use a multitasking model more akin to iOS, and notably they also tend to come with less RAM.

So which multitasking model is better? Each serves its own purpose - the Android model allows things like widgets and also flipping from app to app and having them all fully "in the moment". This is more like what a power user likes who treats the smartphone more like a baby PC. So it has its benefits.

The iOS/WP model works more for users who treat their smartphone more like a Blackberry - they want their email coming in with no delay, their calendar always up to date, texting and telephone to work and messenger services to be live. The rest they don't care as much about. For them a model which treats apps not doing one of these functions as a "suspend" when not in active use works for them. Their phone needs less RAM as a result and uses less power overall leading to long battery life.

What I would like to see is a phone (WP or iOS) that combines the power saving concepts with a bigger battery a la Android. THAT would be cool as it would go for a week or more on a single charge.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually it's not completely fair to say it is all old technology because not all of it is. The CPU is new for example.

The RAM thing is interesting. I have never seen an iPhone freeze up or stutter in any way and they always seem to run fast. That is probably the result of a combination of their multitasking model and VERY strict application programming requirements as they seem to be running under the RAM limit and without resorting to storage swapping. It would be interesting to find something definitive on how this works in iOS.

I agree about iPhones not freezing. But most premium Android phones do not freeze either (mine doesnt). But then again, every premium Android phone is driving a more powerful display, a faster more powerful processor, a more powerful camera and they have had true multitasking since day one. That just came to Apple last year with iOS7. As far as functionality, no iPhone can match a premium Android phone from Samsung or HTC or Nokia or LG. There are things that simply cannot be done on an iPhone that yopu can do on most Androids. THAT is what is sacrificed to create the "user experience" Apple has dictated it's users will have.

The A8 is a dual core processor. Even if it should break 2.0ghz clock speed, it will still have less processing power than the quad core processors in Samsung and HTC phones running only at 1.6 or 1.7ghz. I think it is a huge ripoff to foist this inferior processor on buyers when most every other premium smartphone on the market is sporting quad core processors and more dense displays (with regard to PPSI).

Android phones pack more RAM because they need it. The apps use more RAM on average to run, the VM is also a RAM consumer and the multitasking model has apps running more or less full in the background. More RAM allows this model and packing a bigger battery allows the phone to pay the increased energy bill without killing battery life.

Yep. :)

Windows Phones use a multitasking model more akin to iOS, and notably they also tend to come with less RAM.

Yep, also quite right.

So which multitasking model is better? Each serves its own purpose - the Android model allows things like widgets and also flipping from app to app and having them all fully "in the moment". This is more like what a power user likes who treats the smartphone more like a baby PC. So it has its benefits.

Yep, and that capability is the next big thing IMO. The Ubuntu Phone will set the trend, but they will be outrun when the other competitors in the premium market jump into the pool. The Ubuntu phones will be able to be docked into a cradle which will connect it to a full sized monitor with a mouse. The phone UI will automagically transform into desktop mode, and act like a full sized PC. Phone functions are windowed so that if you get a call, you can answer it much like any Skype or MagicJack call. Apple's iOS is nowhere near this sort of functionality, but Windows 8 is. It may turn out that Metro/Desktop W8 was the right thing at the wrong time and at the wrong price point.

The iOS/WP model works more for users who treat their smartphone more like a Blackberry - they want their email coming in with no delay, their calendar always up to date, texting and telephone to work and messenger services to be live. The rest they don't care as much about. For them a model which treats apps not doing one of these functions as a "suspend" when not in active use works for them. Their phone needs less RAM as a result and uses less power overall leading to long battery life.

I do not see power users with iPhones much. The executives I know might have an iPad, but they have mostly Android phones. The majority of iPhone users I see are youngish, working adults who are not executives or in technical professions. These are the same people who could work just fine on a Mac, as long as that Mac was standing alone and not on an enterprise level network with shared resources and a need for standardized business programs to allow collaboration with other departments (or other companies).

What I would like to see is a phone (WP or iOS) that combines the power saving concepts with a bigger battery a la Android. THAT would be cool as it would go for a week or more on a single charge.

That would be cool. :) I want to see new players out there. Im done with Microsoft on so many levels...they can never win back my love, even though they are responsible for most every IT milestone in my career. I have gone over to Linux/Unix now. But not the proprietary distros. :)

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

My Lumia Icon has 2GB of RAM and a Quad-core 2.2 GHz processor.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My Lumia Icon has 2GB of RAM and a Quad-core 2.2 GHz processor.

Your Lumia Icon is a better phone than the iPhone 6. It has a larger screen, higher resolution and a 20mp camera with dual flash...in addition to having a much faster processor than either of the two iPhones coming out.