I have cut the cord. How liberating! Now 100% wireless.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, now Im impressed with stuff big time. :) I am very happy I migrated all of my online assets to the "Cloud", using cloud services. About two years ago on SGUS, I mentioned how I hated the ominous presence of the cloud and was speaking out against it, but it has truly liberated me. Let me explain. 5 days ago, I experienced yet ANOTHER protracted outage from Verizon FiOS. Two days. In that two days, I got my bill from Verizon which was for $1500.00! Billing mistake? You bet. But it wasnt the first time they have done this. I have been locked into Verizon's monopoly "service area" trap since living in my zip code. No way around them for many years, until now.

Before, if one wanted a phone line, they needed their "local carrier" which was basically ONE choice from a small club of big players like AT&T, Verizon, Bell, etc. Now, most everyone has a cellphone. So, can you replace your home line with a cellphone? absolutely you can. You might have to do some minor tweaking to insure you get a string signal everywhere in your home where you might use your cellphone, like buying a repeater or something, but most places have great coverage. You can even buy phones like this...:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B0043D2IBE

...which will allow you to connect your cellphone to your home system so you can use a home handset (and satellites) but be using your cellular plan. You can even get a second line on your family plan to use just for that purpose. But the best new tech option of all came with 4G/3G networks. I have a Samsung Epic4G from Sprint, which is a high end smartphone. There are several high end Droids out there packing some power. But even the most modest of them can give you what they call "hotspot" capability. You can find apps to root your software and turn on the hotspot, but it is not reliable. I decided to pay Sprint the extra $29.00/mo to have the legit hotspot, and WOW! It is flawless every time. You activate the hotspot, and then your devices see it like they would any other wireless network. You connect and surf away. What about speed?

Even 3G is fast. 4G is VERY fast. Approaching wired speeds. :). What does this mean? It means that by simply connecting a wireless adapter to your computer(s), you can use your cellphone's hotspot IN PLACE OF your DSL or FiOS internet, and cut the cord! I decided not to keep my Verizon phone or FiOS. I dont need it anymore. I can watch Netflix on my computer, take phone calls. have a download going and it is all happening using my cellphone and no wires! Takes some getting used to, in terms of remembering to activate the hotspot when I get home, but the savings is over $200.00/mo in my case. That is at least $2500.00 in a year.

Sprint's hotspot is great if you have their Simply Everything plan (unlimited everything), and add the hotspot for $29.00. If you are using a smartphone, they add $10.00/mo, so the whole plan with unlimited everything plus the hotspot is about $150.00 which is a huge BARGAIN in my book. With my tablet now being used significanly more and my laptop being used significantly less, this cordless metamorphosis feels right. Access to everything on every device, and no more padded fee-laden Verizon bills. They are just waiting for me to pay them the extortionist bills, and I dont need them anymore. Just LOL!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Get a cordless phone set with bluetooth connectivity. Here's one example from VTech:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=KIZoT_OJIcb30gGMn-X0CA&ved=0CH8Q8wIwAQ

When I get home, it connects to my VTech via bluetooth and I make/take calls using my cordless. You can leave your cell phone on its charger wherever it gets the best signal in your home. The DECT 6.0 spec has excellent range. I can take my cordless downstairs from the 11th floor and it's still connected. Some cordless models also have the ability to use features on your cell phone, like SMS.

Watch for throttling on the wireless carriers' "unlimited" data plans. They all have a throttling policy for high throughput users, including Sprint.

http://phandroid.com/2012/01/05/sprint-throttling-top-1-of-data-munchers-only-if-youre-roaming/

It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep some form of inexpensive home-based broadband over DSL or cable.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
UPDATE: This is working out quite well.

Okay Bluce, I went out and bought an AT&T Bluetooth wireless phone (included one satellite handset) which is paired with my cellphone now. AWESOME! I can put the phone on its charger, mute the ringer and turn on the hotspot. With Bluetooth connected, the cellphone is silent, but the base and the satellite ring and I can answer it AND it downloaded my contacts from the phone so I can ID them or make calls from the directory. :) All that, plus the 4G wireless is very fast. I think Verizon is very unhappy. :biggrin:

Capture.PNG

About the throttling, Sprint does NOT throttle. :). You pay a $10.00 premium to get the 4G speed, and you cannot get more than 4G so it is manageable. Land based communications can range from modem speed (56K) to T3 speeds or optics. We don't yet have that for wireless.

Bluce Ree

Okay Bluce, I went out and bought an AT&T Bluetooth wireless phone (included one satellite handset) which is paired with my cellphone now. AWESOME! I can put the phone on its charger, mute the ringer and turn on the hotspot. With Bluetooth connected, the cellphone is silent, but the base and the satellite ring and I can answer it AND it downloaded my contacts from the phone so I can ID them or make calls from the directory. :) All that, plus the 4G wireless is very fast. I think Verizon is very unhappy. :biggrin:

View attachment 6980

About the throttling, Sprint does NOT throttle. :). You pay a $10.00 premium to get the 4G speed, and you cannot get more than 4G so it is manageable. Land based communications can range from modem speed (56K) to T3 speeds or optics. We don't yet have that for wireless.

Seems you're right:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/05...-no-truly-unlimited-data-for-us-iphone-users/

I'll probably get myself a hot spot with Sprint for use when I'm mobile.

Tropicana

Council Member
Okay, now Im impressed with stuff big time. :) I am very happy I migrated all of my online assets to the "Cloud", using cloud services. About two years ago on SGUS, I mentioned how I hated the ominous presence of the cloud and was speaking out against it, but it has truly liberated me. Let me explain. 5 days ago, I experienced yet ANOTHER protracted outage from Verizon FiOS. Two days. In that two days, I got my bill from Verizon which was for $1500.00! Billing mistake? You bet. But it wasnt the first time they have done this. I have been locked into Verizon's monopoly "service area" trap since living in my zip code. No way around them for many years, until now.

Before, if one wanted a phone line, they needed their "local carrier" which was basically ONE choice from a small club of big players like AT&T, Verizon, Bell, etc. Now, most everyone has a cellphone. So, can you replace your home line with a cellphone? absolutely you can. You might have to do some minor tweaking to insure you get a string signal everywhere in your home where you might use your cellphone, like buying a repeater or something, but most places have great coverage. You can even buy phones like this...:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B0043D2IBE

...which will allow you to connect your cellphone to your home system so you can use a home handset (and satellites) but be using your cellular plan. You can even get a second line on your family plan to use just for that purpose. But the best new tech option of all came with 4G/3G networks. I have a Samsung Epic4G from Sprint, which is a high end smartphone. There are several high end Droids out there packing some power. But even the most modest of them can give you what they call "hotspot" capability. You can find apps to root your software and turn on the hotspot, but it is not reliable. I decided to pay Sprint the extra $29.00/mo to have the legit hotspot, and WOW! It is flawless every time. You activate the hotspot, and then your devices see it like they would any other wireless network. You connect and surf away. What about speed?

Even 3G is fast. 4G is VERY fast. Approaching wired speeds. :). What does this mean? It means that by simply connecting a wireless adapter to your computer(s), you can use your cellphone's hotspot IN PLACE OF your DSL or FiOS internet, and cut the cord! I decided not to keep my Verizon phone or FiOS. I dont need it anymore. I can watch Netflix on my computer, take phone calls. have a download going and it is all happening using my cellphone and no wires! Takes some getting used to, in terms of remembering to activate the hotspot when I get home, but the savings is over $200.00/mo in my case. That is at least $2500.00 in a year.

Sprint's hotspot is great if you have their Simply Everything plan (unlimited everything), and add the hotspot for $29.00. If you are using a smartphone, they add $10.00/mo, so the whole plan with unlimited everything plus the hotspot is about $150.00 which is a huge BARGAIN in my book. With my tablet now being used significanly more and my laptop being used significantly less, this cordless metamorphosis feels right. Access to everything on every device, and no more padded fee-laden Verizon bills. They are just waiting for me to pay them the extortionist bills, and I dont need them anymore. Just LOL!

As I maybe moving - the Internet speeds aren't great at the place I'm thinking of moving to (currently getting 60Mb unlimited fibre-optic Broadband, the new place 0.3Mb unlimited ADSL Broadband), so planning to get what we folks here call a "Mi-Fi". Basically a portable wireless hotspot from "3". Good plan is 15Gb/mth which costs around £18.99 (US$30) per month. So planning that, still awaiting for 4G to be implemented within these ancient shores that is the UK though, gotta settle with 3G for the moment. I wish we had unlimited mobile broadband but that isn't happening.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As I maybe moving - the Internet speeds aren't great at the place I'm thinking of moving to (currently getting 60Mb unlimited fibre-optic Broadband, the new place 0.3Mb unlimited ADSL Broadband), so planning to get what we folks here call a "Mi-Fi". Basically a portable wireless hotspot from "3". Good plan is 15Gb/mth which costs around £18.99 (US$30) per month. So planning that, still awaiting for 4G to be implemented within these ancient shores that is the UK though, gotta settle with 3G for the moment. I wish we had unlimited mobile broadband but that isn't happening.

I'm using a borrowed MiFi hotspot right now, wee!!!!! :monkey::topsy_turvy::tears_of_joy::icon_razz:

It's 4G but there are times it sucks donkey balls. It will freeze up and disconnect itself and basically throw tantrums. Supposedly you can have up to 5 people at once on this hotspot but I've had problems at times with just two people. It usually clears up though and/or needs a reboot to get going again.

Speeds are definitely not as fast as broadband but they aren't that horrible either to be honest.

Bluce Ree

Speaking of freezing, what is with ur mobile networks dropping calls?

Ass-backwards technology. They don't care to invest cutting-edge in the infrastructure because they're all too busy trying to monopolize customers by trashing the "other" network, which seems to work better than actually updating their networks the way they should.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Ass-backwards technology. They don't care to invest cutting-edge in the infrastructure because they're all too busy trying to monopolize customers by trashing the "other" network, which seems to work better than actually updating their networks the way they should.
sounds an awful lot like what politics does :D

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Don't know why but I kinda prefer low-tech things for some reason these days, which is ironic considering my fields of interest. Getting sick of watching people have staring contests with their latest *technobabble* phone. It's interesting to see how things function though, the thought process behind a lot of the technology.

Bluce Ree

Don't know why but I kinda prefer low-tech things for some reason these days, which is ironic considering my fields of interest. Getting sick of watching people have staring contests with their latest *technobabble* phone. It's interesting to see how things function though, the thought process behind a lot of the technology.

I'm not as concerned with nifty, shiny gadget phones as I am with dropped calls and shitty voice quality across over-compressed networks.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's the thing.

I have been on AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon over the years. I keep coming back to Verizon because on the others I get dropped calls and bad voice quality while on Verizon I have always had good voice and no dropped calls (even when I am in places like rural Pennsylvania and Michigan). Some people like to get on them about their pricing (which if you are not getting a company discount is a touch high) but they seem to be the only major US carrier that actually does sink a lot of money into their network on a consistent basis.

On the other hand, all four carriers are starting to ramp into modernizing their networks (rolling out LTE and such) so who knows what the future holds?

Bluce Ree

That's the thing.

I have been on AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon over the years. I keep coming back to Verizon because on the others I get dropped calls and bad voice quality while on Verizon I have always had good voice and no dropped calls (even when I am in places like rural Pennsylvania and Michigan). Some people like to get on them about their pricing (which if you are not getting a company discount is a touch high) but they seem to be the only major US carrier that actually does sink a lot of money into their network on a consistent basis.

On the other hand, all four carriers are starting to ramp into modernizing their networks (rolling out LTE and such) so who knows what the future holds?

Agreed regarding Verizon. They're the only ones who have consistently invested in their network technologies and reliability. I wish Verizon would have had the foresight to invest in more globally-compatible networks rather than sticking with the bad idea known as CDMA. Qualcomm talked a big game at the beginning of the wireless race but, IMO, they relied a little too heavily on the US's economic dominance to influence the rest of the planet's choice in wireless network technologies.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed regarding Verizon. They're the only ones who have consistently invested in their network technologies and reliability. I wish Verizon would have had the foresight to invest in more globally-compatible networks rather than sticking with the bad idea known as CDMA. Qualcomm talked a big game at the beginning of the wireless race but, IMO, they relied a little too heavily on the US's economic dominance to influence the rest of the planet's choice in wireless network technologies.

I have a feeling that Verizon is gearing up to move off of CDMA in the future to VLTE (Voice over LTE). That could be part of their obsession with blanketing the entire nation with LTE. Well, that and the attraction to customers of getting ridiculous fast network speeds (I get 26 Mbps down and 21 up pretty consistently) even in the middle of the proverbial cornfield.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have a feeling that Verizon is gearing up to move off of CDMA in the future to VLTE (Voice over LTE). That could be part of their obsession with blanketing the entire nation with LTE. Well, that and the attraction to customers of getting ridiculous fast network speeds (I get 26 Mbps down and 21 up pretty consistently) even in the middle of the proverbial cornfield.

I am seriously thinking of moving to Verizon myself. But they do throttle data speeds after a certain threshold. Sprint is the only carrier at the moment which does not throttle.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am seriously thinking of moving to Verizon myself. But they do throttle data speeds after a certain threshold. Sprint is the only carrier at the moment which does not throttle.

I would check that specifically with Verizon themselves. I know that there have been isolated users making the claim but in virtually every case it turned out not to be true - at least so far.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would check that specifically with Verizon themselves. I know that there have been isolated users making the claim but in virtually every case it turned out not to be true - at least so far.

The company I am working for has all Verizon cell service. Verizon DOES throttle. When you hit 5GB, the data speeds are throttled. This applies to all Verizon users in the US, and is not at all isolated. Verizon calls this "optimization" but it is data throttling. I was told by a Verizon representative himself while at the Verizon store. Here is the official policy:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

Sprint is the only carrier at the moment which does not throttle at all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More...

This comes from the link I provided:

Is this the same as throttling?
No, this is not throttling.

How is this different than throttling?
The difference between our Network Optimization practices and throttling is network intelligence. With throttling, your wireless data speed is reduced for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization is based on the theory that all customers should have the best network possible, and if you’re not causing congestion for others, even if you are using a high amount of data, your connection speed should be as good as possible. So, if you’re in the top 5% of data users, your speed is reduced only when you are connected to a congested cell site. Once you are no longer connected to a congested site, your speed will return to normal. This could mean a matter of seconds or hours, depending on your location and time of day.

GFbitchplease.gif

Bullshit. All of those words still amount to throttling. You cannot "reduce" somebody's data speed and it not be throttling. Many users in large cities will ALWAYS be using a "congested cell site", and will be at normal speed until they hit a certain level of data usage and then they will be throttled. Sprint does not throttle at all, no matter if you are using "congested cell sites" or not.