Helix: Love it or Hate it? (Awards Given)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Dont you wonder how this shit makes it to the air? Didnt at least SOMEBODY who watched this at the studio say something like "You know, this show kinda drags. Too much drama and not enough about the virus. Perhaps you guys could turn the lights up a bit too?"

I think the world is now run by "Yes men" who are too cowardly to say anything for fear of losing the gig that's paying their ridiculously high mortgage. For them it's easier to blow smoke up their boss's ass than it is for them to stick their scrawny, pencil necks out to give an honest opinion. A perfect example of this is the world that George Lucas lives in. The surrounding population in GL's world all go out of their way to feed his ego. No one says no to King George. This is why we got those horrible prequels, because Lucas is surrounded by nothing but "Yes men".

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If I recall correctly in one of the Plinkett reviews of the prequels that idea was posited also - that no one around Lucas had the guts to tell him that what he was writing was crud.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think the world is now run by "Yes men" who are too cowardly to say anything for fear of losing the gig that's paying their ridiculously high mortgage. For them it's easier to blow smoke up their boss's ass than it is for them to stick their scrawny, pencil necks out to give an honest opinion. A perfect example of this is the world that George Lucas lives in. The surrounding population in GL's world all go out of their way to feed his ego. No one says no to King George. This is why we got those horrible prequels, because Lucas is surrounded by nothing but "Yes men".

That has to be something along the lines of what is going on, because these same insipid soap operas set in various nouveau locales keep showing up. And they keep getting cancelled too.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If I recall correctly in one of the Plinkett reviews of the prequels that idea was posited also - that no one around Lucas had the guts to tell him that what he was writing was crud.

That's exactly where I remember seeing "King George" holding court, the Plinkett reviews. It was very telling and explained why the prequels were so incredibly bad. Lucas lost perspective and there wasn't one single person in his retinue with enough integrity to speak up and rein him in. Now we all suffer because of this. :moody:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's exactly where I remember seeing "King George" holding court, the Plinkett reviews. It was very telling and explained why the prequels were so incredibly bad. Lucas lost perspective and there wasn't one single person in his retinue with enough integrity to speak up and rein him in. Now we all suffer because of this. :moody:

Disney uses it's guillotines much more regularly and more often than Lucasfilm could ever do. If Abrams messes up Star Wars, Disney will fire him.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Things like that are part of why all the Plinkett reviews are good despite the sophomoric nature of some of the humor. They do deep digs into why a film works or does not work and you can tell from the content that the people behind them (Mike and Jay) have actual schooling in drama and writing.

B

Backstep

129145746821069568.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hate this stupid show. The casting in this is horrible beyond belief. :facepalm: Billy Campbell as the lead is a fail. The young female Ph.D. played by Jordan Hayes is ridiculous. Every single minute of this dumb show is focused on interpersonal relationships and building some sort of tension around the virus. But the viewer doesn't care because the initial scenes of the virus and it's effects were done in the first two episodes. Episode 4 (the one I just watched) doesn't even connect you with those events at all.

This stupid show spends too much time away from the virus and science and concentrates on drama. Its worse than SGU.

The acting is horrible, the writing is horrible, and the visuals are boring and bland. They didnt even play any of the cutesy 1970s era road music. :( This stinker is sure to be canceled. I cant even see the dummies in the mainstream liking this.

B

Backstep

I hate this stupid show. The casting in this is horrible beyond belief. :facepalm: Billy Campbell as the lead is a fail. The young female Ph.D. played by Jordan Hayes is ridiculous. Every single minute of this dumb show is focused on interpersonal relationships and building some sort of tension around the virus. But the viewer doesn't care because the initial scenes of the virus and it's effects were done in the first two episodes. Episode 4 (the one I just watched) doesn't even connect you with those events at all.

This stupid show spends too much time away from the virus and science and concentrates on drama. Its worse than SGU.

The acting is horrible, the writing is horrible, and the visuals are boring and bland. They didnt even play any of the cutesy 1970s era road music. :( This stinker is sure to be canceled. I cant even see the dummies in the mainstream liking this.

Time for a new globe?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Time for a new globe?

Perhaps! But who here is watching the show? We could predict the ratings...I think this show will die after this season, unless they got a two year deal. Got any idea what the ratings are?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
NOTE TO THREAD STARTER:

Can I rename this thread to Helix Sucks? :) If not, I can just start a new thread with that name and move the related posts to it. For those who are watching (brave souls), this request will make sense. For those who have not seen it, dont bother.

B

Backstep

02/07/14

HELIX SYFY 10:00 PM 1331 0.5

01/27/14

HELIX SYFY 10:00 PM 1337 0.4

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
02/07/14

HELIX SYFY 10:00 PM 1331 0.5

01/27/14

HELIX SYFY 10:00 PM 1337 0.4

How to read that? What does "1331" mean? What is the 0.5?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
How to read that? What does "1331" mean? What is the 0.5?
they are tens of thousands,
1331 is 1.331 million viewers, the 0.5 is the percentage of male viewers in the 18-25 demographic who are watching TV at the time, the people who they assume have the most disposable income.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
they are tens of thousands,
1331 is 1.331 million viewers, the 0.5 is the percentage of male viewers in the 18-25 demographic who are watching TV at the time, the people who they assume have the most disposable income.

LOL! Those ratings are horrible! Anybody know what the premiere numbers were? These ratings are worse than Caprica and SGU. With numbers like that, cancellation at the end of this season is a done deal (unless they have a two year deal).

B

Backstep

This sucks :sour:

TNT has canceled period drama Mob City from Frank Darabont who developed and then was ousted from AMC's The Walking Dead.

"Mob City was created as a three-week television event and we are incredibly proud of the six hours we presented of this remarkable drama. Although the ratings of the limited series haven't warranted more hours we are eager to work with Frank Darabont again and were delighted to bring the vibrant world of Mob City to life," a Turner rep said in a statement.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ampaign=Feed:+Tvbythenumbers+(TVbytheNumbers)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
LOL! Those ratings are horrible! Anybody know what the premiere numbers were? These ratings are worse than Caprica and SGU. With numbers like that, cancellation at the end of this season is a done deal (unless they have a two year deal).
Dude, 65% of TV shows get the axe.