General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 06 - "Trial & Error"

Starman

GateFans Noob
(don't worry, I can watch and never participate in ratings... not allowed!)

I can now write an episode of SGU.

Kobayashi Maru meets Window Of Opportunity meets Destiny.

Episode over. Now where the hell are my royalty checks?

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Discussion? Who cares about the discussion? Bring on the ratings! 0.xxx :beckettu:

psyphi

GateFans Noob
Absolute shit. Well the ship action at the start was good, impossible not to like that since it wasn't just random red dots moving off the ship this time. They actually did that right this time. The rest was just drama, and drinking, and drama, and it sucked as expected.

Edit: It's freaking pathetic that people over at gateworld are wetting themselves at the prospect of a slight ratings increase when nothing else is on to watch.

Starman

GateFans Noob
Absolute shit. Well the ship action at the start was good, impossible not to like that since it wasn't just random red dots moving off the ship this time. They actually did that right this time. The rest was just drama, and drinking, and drama, and it sucked as expected.

Edit: It's freaking pathetic that people over at gateworld are wetting themselves at the prospect of a slight ratings increase when nothing else is on to watch.

The OMG ITS SO COOL tweets are particularly nauseating this week. Orgasms followed the perceived firing of a weapon.

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
Again, no Stargate whatsover in this episode. All the 'good' parts happened in Young's head, the rest was on the ship drama that I am sick of. Snorefest

Found out my girlfriend was watching it when she sent me a text reading "Why does Stargate Universe suck so much?"
She even likened it to a soap opera, which is funny since that seems to be the go-to phrase on the internet. This is after we had watched season 1 of SG-1, so maybe I spoiled her

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
Eh, let's see, um...TJ gets crapped on by Young yet again and he does everything short of literally kicking her in the crotch. I half expected him to scream at her that her job was to serve drinks and clean up around the ship and not to speak unless spoken to. It's one thing for Young to act like a total ass to TJ at the start of the episode but in order for us to feel any sympathy (empathy) for the character he needed to make amends with TJ (on some level) at the end. Instead of course we were left with the impression that Young is a misogynist piece of crap that has a potato where his heart should be. Nice.

Chloe is changing, blah blah blah. Eli got his first kiss, blah blah blah. Dream sequence with exploding ship, meh. Young combs his hair, blah blah blah. The whole episode was one big yawn. The reruns of SNG that sandwiched SGU were way more interesting -- and I've seen them countless times before, go figure.

Please, can this turd of a show just die already and stop insulting us with its presence. Please SGU, just die.

Rating

GateFans Noob
Best part of this episode was when I saw Scott getting sucked out into space, and destiny blowing up!

The rest was just the usual crap. I guess Brad Wright was full of shit as per usual in his latest interview.
NOT WORTH WATCHING.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
How many hallucination episodes does this make now? Sheesh, I wish this entire show was a hallucination. I swear, I'll never touch those shrooms again...

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
How many hallucination episodes does this make now?
I know! And we already had 2 episodes about trying over and over to prevent a bad thing from happening in SG1 - The Gamekeeper and Avatar. This felt just like those, only Daniel, Jack, and Teal'c are way hotter.

I know sci fi shows are running out of ideas when the eps start to happen in the characters' heads. And this is only ep 26 of the series!

I hate that Eli immediately reacted to Ginn as a chick, acting all nervous, inviting her to have a seat, etc. Daniel and Rodney would've treated her professionally, which is what a man in 2010 should do.

Why was Scott not infected? Because the plot didn't call for it?

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
So once again, all of the interesting stuff wasn't actually happening and nothing actually gets in motion, just an episode of stagnation, as the whore said to the midget's ideal fantasy, this will be a short plot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im getting it now!

Best part of this episode was when I saw Scott getting sucked out into space, and destiny blowing up!

The rest was just the usual crap. I guess Brad Wright was full of shit as per usual in his latest interview.
NOT WORTH WATCHING.

Okay, bolded is the reason I am going to download this episode. Just to get the footage Scott being sucked into space! If I add that footage to Rush getting punched out by Young, Chloe getting eaten out by the slug in Time, "Bald psycho dude" from Air committing suicide, and a few other choice scenes, I can then end it up by showing Destiny exploding and roll the credits. FIN!

Tomm

GateFans Noob
Young channeling Heath Ledger's Joker

I found it funny when Scott started pushing Young in his room and Young suddenly started acting like the Joker screaming "Hit me! Hit me!" for no real reason.

also in the dream sequence when Scott actually did hit him Young started rolling on the floor laughing like the Joker.

WTF was that

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Absolute dreck.

The episode opens with what...a close up of one of those DAMNED communications stones. TJ whining and obviously wanting to get with Young now that his wife has dumped him...pathetic. Scott TRYING to come off as a command-grade officer, and giving orders to the others was laughable. I wanted SO BAD for one of those other solders to come up to him and backhand him in front of everyone. And now the ship can just read people's minds and decide who is going to command her? The story was so convoluted...what exactly was this episode supposed to be ABOUT? Yeah, we saw lots of character interaction and drama and listened to a lot of theories being created by the crew, but what really happened? NOTHING. But they want us to watch this shit live when NCIS:LA is on, or there is paint to watch drying or clothes to be washed? :roll:

Sub million again.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So they only started the romance between Eli and Ginn now, only to kill her off in two episodes. :roll:
That romance is a complete waste of time and only there to create additional drama in two episodes, when Eli will lose his girlfriend. As if Rush losing his girlfriend isn't enough! :rolleyes: They could have at least started with the romance thing between Eli and Ginn a few episodes earlier, so it wouldn't be such a drama stunt.

This is all building up to the romance between Eli and Rush...

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
What I liked:
-Seeing Scott getting blown out into space, even if it wasn't real.
-Young losing it towards the end of the third simulation.
-Ronald Greer, Love Guru. The Eli/Greer bond should've had a bit more build up, but it worked well regardless.
-Eli getting the girl. Given how SGU shits on intellectuals in the show, it's a nice change of pace despite being pretty rushed. Shame she won't live long.
-People recognizing that Young is a failure of a leader.
-The little briefing where Park was going over what the civvies were doing. Nice to know they actually do something, even if its offscreen.
-No montage!

What I didn't like:
-Using dreams right after a hallucination episode. The writers are using this as such a massive crutch this season that it makes even the most formulaic SG-1 and SGA episodes look like masterpieces.
-Destiny being able to fuck with people's brains. How come this 50+ million year old piece of crap can do this and Atlantis couldn't?
-Scott's speech to Young. All of it falls flat when you remember that this a guy who caused his adoptive dad to drink himself to death after knocking up a girl, then got into a relationship with a fellow officer then callously ditched her for Chloe.
-Again, nothing interesting actually happens in the parts that matter aside from Eli getting the girl.
-Why the hell is Destiny running this simulation now? Why didn't it do something back in the Blue Fish Galaxy?
-Can we get some real fucking answers about Franklin please? It's obvious from this episode that he's a projection from the Destiny, but what is his purpose besides pointing out things Rush doesn't notice?

Lilith

GateFans Noob
The episode opens with what...a close up of one of those DAMNED communications stones. TJ whining and obviously wanting to get with Young now that his wife has dumped him...pathetic. Scott TRYING to come off as a command-grade officer, and giving orders to the others was laughable. I wanted SO BAD for one of those other solders to come up to him and backhand him in front of everyone. And now the ship can just read people's minds and decide who is going to command her? The story was so convoluted...what exactly was this episode supposed to be ABOUT? Yeah, we saw lots of character interaction and drama and listened to a lot of theories being created by the crew, but what really happened? NOTHING. But they want us to watch this shit live when NCIS:LA is on, or there is paint to watch drying or clothes to be washed? :roll:

Sub million again.

You forgot about vaccumming out your pockets or washing your hair.

deco

GateFans Noob
Odyssey get drunk before you whacht so you can enjoy the episode if that is possivel