General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 02 - "Aftermath"

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Seriously...I haven't seen the entire thread last time, but Intervention was a laughable episode, but at least it didn't make me go pissed.

I didn't read anything in this thread yet either (sriously it takes me a lot of time to do so)..I am gonna just post my thoughts.

This one, while watching it, wants me to have permanent braindamage or something. I can't stand Young and Rush blabbling nonsenses around, this is so cliched drama crap, it is like if they took a lot of fan predictations and threw them into this. To me this is one of the worst episodes, I am 12 minutes through and I just CAN'T STAND it. I need to take breaks. Seriously...this blabble with Rush and wife and that blabble with Young and Wray, that was the worst...

So Rush knew this all along? When did he find the bridge for first time? Nobody noticed that door? What the fuck is going on? It wasn't that far from that place....:facepalm:

If I was gonna replace the episode with KHAAAN screams, sparta remix, retarded batman, etc...it would be more fun to watch. golden star trek really........even at its worst it beats this.

SHUT THE FUCK UP I CAN'T STAND YOUR VOICES ARGHHH. (that's what I am thinking the entire ep btw)

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
So Rush knew this all along? When did he find the bridge for first time? Nobody noticed that door? What the fuck is going on? It wasn't that far from that place....:facepalm:
Actually, they just did a jump cut to indicate that Rush walked really far away into a section with differently designed corridors, but since it's so dark and the hint was so minuscule, you wouldn't notice unless you were watching in HD and paying more attention to the background instead of Robert Carlyle.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep

Actually, they just did a jump cut to indicate that Rush walked really far away into a section with differently designed corridors, but since it's so dark and the hint was so minuscule, you wouldn't notice unless you were watching in HD and paying more attention to the background instead of Robert Carlyle.

True. And if I hadnt watched it again, I might never have noticed that the bridge rises up out of the top of the pyramid on top of the ship. When we see what looks like Rush in the bridge watching "blast doors" lower in front of the windows on the bridge, we are actually watching the bridge rising up from a recess in the top of the pyramid. You can see it when the ship is shown from the outside. Wasted CGI!

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
True. And if I hadnt watched it again, I might never have noticed that the bridge rises up out of the top of the pyramid on top of the ship. When we see what looks like Rush in the bridge watching "blast doors" lower in front of the windows on the bridge, we are actually watching the bridge rising up from a recess in the top of the pyramid. You can see it when the ship is shown from the outside. Wasted CGI!
I wonder how the director of this episode would feel if he/she knew that no one spotted these things because of how little brightness and contrast there is in the final televised broadcast. I mean, what the fuck is the point of spending all this money on sets and CGI if no one is able to tell what's going on? Might as well ditch the CGI to save some money and redress the pre-existing sets as needed since no one can tell the difference between sets.

That said, thank god they actually gave the bridge some decent lighting. It's a rather nice set and being able to see all the detail is a good thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, I like that set.

I wonder how the director of this episode would feel if he/she knew that no one spotted these things because of how little brightness and contrast there is in the final televised broadcast. I mean, what the fuck is the point of spending all this money on sets and CGI if no one is able to tell what's going on? Might as well ditch the CGI to save some money and redress the pre-existing sets as needed since no one can tell the difference between sets.

That said, thank god they actually gave the bridge some decent lighting. It's a rather nice set and being able to see all the detail is a good thing.

Yeah, I like the bridge set and the lighting levels they chose to show on the episodes for it. It blows my mind to know that not only are the other sets not well lit, but they must be using a post-processing effect to make them even MORE dark. To test this, all you have to do is to make a screencap of one of those scenes, then use an auto-levels tool to re-balance the lighting the way it was shot originally. :roll: The bridge consoles look cool to me, and its a nice change from the consoles and look of the rest of the ship sets.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
Wow, well I didn't really notice that, it seemed like seamless thing, like if the door was just right there only he needed to enter some code for it, which nobody knew. But yeah I wondered why they didn't show that before.

But did Rush know about the bridge before? He seemed like he knows what he is doing and he wasn't surprised any bit. Seriously what is going on there?

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Wow, well I didn't really notice that, it seemed like seamless thing, like if the door was just right there only he needed to enter some code for it, which nobody knew. But yeah I wondered why they didn't show that before.

But did Rush know about the bridge before? He seemed like he knows what he is doing and he wasn't surprised any bit. Seriously what is going on there?
Well, editing is supposed to be seamless :icon_e_wink:

As for Rush and the bridge, no one has any idea because of how the bridge reveal is set up and the dialogue seem to be implying opposite things. I have no idea how Rush even knows where the bridge is- I guess he found it while working on the chair.

F

Frumenta

I assumed that they collected food offscreen. I don't know whether perhaps that doesn't work within the context of what was shown but perhaps before sending the Lucian Alliance people down there was some offscreen use of that round thingy... what is it called again?- to get food and other supplies.

The one thing I really liked about the epie was the fact that useless Chloe wasn't included in the away team. Wonder whether her turning into Blue Chloe has something to do with this. It's good to see some logic in how her character is used. And I'm saying this as someone who likes Chloe. Not a popular opinion on this board but there you have it.

Riley was easily my favourite character so way to go show for putting another nail in your coffin. I fear for Park now.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Is she the chick who overheard the Baby convo w/ Riley?

...but perhaps before sending the Lucian Alliance people down there was some offscreen use of that round thingy... what is it called again?

:rotflmao: You crack me up :) But maybe the offscreen happenings is what TPTB intended - they've used the "offscreen" excuse before (remember those consent forms to be raped?), so maybe next episode they will have a feast of all the great food they collected offscreen :facepalm:

Riley was easily my favourite character so way to go show for putting another nail in your coffin. I fear for Park now.

Is that the one who was eavesdropping on TJ and Riley? If so:
check out Mallozzi's blog from a day or two ago, they are filming one of the last episodes of the season and she is in the pics, injured but doesn't look like it's fatal.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm sure it's not the first time a showrunner has had gaping plot holes and either entirely refused to address them or try to come up with some flimsy explanation that even the most minimally observant and/or intelligent viewer could see like a lighthouse beacon on an otherwise pitch black night.

Loheat

GateFans Cadet
I'm gonna have to watch the episode again, because I think your shitting me. I totally thought that they were blast doors, I wonder how many other people missed that, or if we are just too dense to pick up on that stuff

Yeah, there were some problems with editing, I think a lot of time elapsed between when they planted the C4 on the gate and when they got it all cleared out, but it wasn't done that obvious

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It definitely rises.

I'm gonna have to watch the episode again, because I think your shitting me. I totally thought that they were blast doors, I wonder how many other people missed that, or if we are just too dense to pick up on that stuff

Yeah, there were some problems with editing, I think a lot of time elapsed between when they planted the C4 on the gate and when they got it all cleared out, but it wasn't done that obvious

Its clear when you watch that scene again, but the editing is so bad and the angle they chose is off, so you dont notice it until you are looking for it. Verification that what I saw was accurate:

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/SGU_2.02_"Aftermath"_Transcript

INT—CORRIDOR
[Rush walks along the corridor. He comes to a door, looks around and opens it. It is an elevator. He keys in a destination and the door closes. He emerges in another part of the ship and walks to a large door unlike any other. He presses a sequence of small keys on the control panel and the door opens, sliding downwards to reveal a second, inner door. He presses the large door-opening button and the door slides open. He is hit by a gust of air.]
INT—DESTINY BRIDGE
[Rush enters the bridge and surveys the room from the mezzanine. He goes down to the command chair in the center of the room and runs his hands over the consoles that surround it. He operates something on one of the panels, and the lights in the room come on one by one, revealing a number of control stations around the perimeter of the room. A mechanism is heard engaging; through the windows is seen what looks to be blast shields lowering.]
EXT—DESTINY IN FTL
[The pyramid-like structure on the top of the ship and one of the four square structures on the top of it rises out of the body of the pyramid. Rush is standing inside, looking out through the window.]

There you have it! :)

S

SG-1wasbetterthenSGU

This episode wasnt slow, and I thought it would be because of the trailer. There was enough action (fights, shooting, shuttle crash) to carry the dead spots. The stupidest concept (and also derivative) is these "manifestations". They act like Ancients taking human form in characters which Rush understand, EXACTLY like they had Morgan LaFey helping Daniel in The Quest in SG-1. But then again, it could be something entirely uncool like the ship doing it...I dunno. Its too vague and silly. But without them on that bridge it would have been even more boring. Its still lame.

Thanks for reading it!

Don't you think the episode fell flat after the shuttle crash? All they did is dig out the stargate that doesn't sound very fun.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They didnt show it.

Don't you think the episode fell flat after the shuttle crash? All they did is dig out the stargate that doesn't sound very fun.

They showed when part of it was uncovered, then they used explosives to clear the rest, but on page 1 of this thread I posted a picture of how it looked after only about two hours of work. Totally implausible. I still liked it overall, but things did go into heavy drama at points. But it tied in well to the episode. There were several plotholes too. But no communications stones, no Earth...that is a HUGE change.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Okay here are some of my concerns & gripes about this ep:

- God-botherers still trying to dry fuck my tight, unlubed ears with religion. Religion is fine & all but I want my sci fi to be......... you know......... sci fiey.

- The USS Voy..... I mean Event Horiz........ I mean the evil, demented, demonically-possessed spaceship which, one day, millions of years ago killed it's creator because he built it to look like a giant cock & took off into space never to be seen until this bunch of miscreants came aboard (it has super-duper prototype technology which only the creator had the schematics of - in his head but he was killed so this tech was lost). That's the only explanation I can think of as to why the Destiny is as supposedly "more advanced than Atlantis" as it claims to be.

- Euthenising Riley. Not to get too topical about the subject, I am pro-euthenasia, it's not the deed I'm bothered about but the delivery method. Young is a psycho, he would have enjoyed that shit! What's wrong with a simple bullet to the head? Oh no that's right, bullets don't make themselve's! Either that or Riley just thought"no cunt here is psycho enough to do it apart from Young, & he'll probably get a boner whilst doing it". The scene was entirely unecessary & contrived - GO DRAMA GO!

- Blatant hinting at Destiny's purpose/mission.............. Stop hinting & just fucking tell us already! It's bad enough that this happens nooooooooon-stop in SGPOO but this episode they just all of a sudden blurt out loads of ideas/speculations as to it's purpose which they just pull out of their collective arses, it smacks of grade-school level writing as there is no lead up to

- Constant suspense........... Stop being so damn cryptic & just inform & entertain your audience! It makes no sense to make a show dark & gritty (& expensive) if you, the writers, are not going to inform & entertain people (it's kind of like finding a camp site, securing the area, establishing escape route(s), posting sentries in all round defense & then hanging a grand piano from an old rope in the tree above the sleeping area to protect people from the weather. It's fucking retarded.