Falling Skies Gets Fourth Season

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes it was new. It showed Nolan as a soldier, him finding and raising Irisa and such. I would have wanted more, especially more concrete information on the state of the world but it was better than what we had before, which was nothing.

I agree. It's a shame they didn't do a better job of explaining the origins of DEFECATION. As it is we're required to suspend our disbelief for a ton of different species and cultures, etc. The fact that they haven't explained how all these different aliens can communicate so easily via the King's english is one flaw that keeps this show in the arena of being a cartoon. I understand that as a viewer I'm expected to hold credulity (incredulity?) in check but it's hard to do when the writers are so dismissive of certain important details.

At least with Failing Skies we can more easily understand the context of the story even though we were never shown the details of the initial alien invasion. That's not an endorsement of FS though as I find the show quite boring. Given a choice of watching DEFECATION or FS, both of which started their stories in media res, I opt for DEFECATION because the writing, acting and production is simply better, go figure.

*It's interesting to note that many fiction writing manuals and advice books advocate starting stories in media res. Clearly that doesn't always work as proven by these two shows which are both flawed because the writers chose to go this route. If they weren't going to start the stories in ab ovo, "from the beginning", they should have explained the origins shortly thereafter. (I still remember during the premiere of FS they showed a child's crayon drawing of the alien invasion, as if that was suppose to suffice as way of explaining how things started. :rolleye0014:)

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I will say that the English thing does not bother all that much. Why? Simple. I live in Europe and I have traveled a great deal, every single country I have been in, people mostly can speak English. What is actually very realistic in Defiance is that they all speak English but not so much of each other's languages. This is the same way over here. You can very easily expect a Croatian to speak English but not German, and same for Germans. The Spanish will also speak English, but not unlikely they even speak French much less Danish. If you go up to Denmark, you will surely find plenty of Danes that speak English. I know that for many EU countries, English is a acceptable language for their legal contracts..NL for instance.

It is the same in Defiance,notice the ep where Stama could speak Omec and it was so surprising? I would say the aliens were coming to this world to take it over and felt it would be easier to do by speaking the main language of the world, which no matter what anyone says, it's still English. Do you speak Greek, Dutch, French, Spanish, Croatian, Russian...etc.? Well, most of them can speak English. Not all, but many more than any of us can speak theirs. Also, they can pick up on languages so much better than most Americans. It is most likely because so many are already bi-lingual.

This is why it does not surprise me for FS or Defiance to have a bunch of aliens running around speaking our languages. I also think to some extent sub-titles get old so sometimes it is just part of being a TV show. They have been doing this on TV for decades and not just for aliens from space but for any foreigners, they do a few scenes of sub-titles and then poof everyone is speaking English. Farscape had a great go-around for this with their universal translators. If you think about BSG and the "nine colonies", why did they all speak English, and then you have ST, plenty of alien races also spoke English, as did the lizards of V and so and so and so on...

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I will say that the English thing does not bother all that much. Why? Simple. I live in Europe and I have traveled a great deal, every single country I have been in, people mostly can speak English. What is actually very realistic in Defiance is that they all speak English but not so much of each other's languages. This is the same way over here.

Yes, because Europe was thrust together from complete isolation of each other's cultures and existence about two decades ago and they all learned English overnight, just like Defiance. Isn't it droll how fiction mimics real life?

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I really don't think about why all that much. I just know it comes in handy when you are with people from 6 different countries, not just Europe, and they can all communicate through their knowledge of English as a universal language. Without it most of any of them would be unable to speak to each other.

I think both FS and Defiance left too much unknown about how the aliens came to all be so entrenched in Earth's society.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just started watching falling sighs series . Good thing I can fast forward now and then ...
;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Just to be clear, DEFECATION is not science fiction, it is a live action cartoon. It's not so hard to accept the inane characters and hokey story when one properly views it this way.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Falling Skies had a weird history. It started out ridiculous (remember Season 1 and part of Season 2 where all the women were perfectly coiffed while the men were scruffy?), got decent in the middle and now at the end is descending into utter goofiness.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Holy crap . I never even noticed that lol but yes , I did google a few of the girls and there smokin hot indeed . Still fast forwarding a lot of it especially all the sit down chat baloney . It's a time killer ...At S1 EP5 . The skidmarks are pretty ugly cool though ... Falling Sighs . Do the ships off in the distance not look a lot like District 9 ?

:) :) :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Just to be clear, DEFECATION is not science fiction, it is a live action cartoon. It's not so hard to accept the inane characters and hokey story when one properly views it this way.
Agree . When I watched the first ep I liked it . Then every single ep after that I :smiley-015::smiley-015::smiley-015:. Then stopped watchin though I did watch more of it than sgu ...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And.......just as I feared. Lexi's back.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And.......just as I feared. Lexi's back.

Oh my. Magical Lexi rebirth = She saves the world and stops the war and rebuilds earth all in one shot. Do I need a blowing hair Lexi gif?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nah. She just got disintegrated by their new secret weapon. I guess this version of Lexi was a programmed Isveni assassin....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....now they know where the Isveni queen is hanging out and they have a superweapon to use on it. Pope was blowed up and Mason captured by flying insects.

Only one installment remaining. The final battle at the Lincoln Memorial.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And....now they know where the Isveni queen is hanging out and they have a superweapon to use on it. Pope was blowed up and Mason captured by flying insects.

Only one installment remaining. The final battle at the Lincoln Memorial.

I just watched episode 9. Lexi 2.0 got blown up by Ben using the capsule that the new aliens gave him. Ben was playing burnout with the Isveni Overlord communicator device and that is how the 2nd Mass knows where the Queen is. I did not see the insects capture anyone, but I did see them coming into the town. I was SO GLAD they killed Pope. If they had not, he and his buddies would have killed Mason.

Isnt next week when the insects capture Mason in Washington DC where the Queen is? I saw it in the previews, but he was not captured this episode was he?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Right, next week.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Let me guess, when he's captured he will be marched straight into the queens lair? :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let me guess, when he's captured he will be marched straight into the queens lair? :rolleye0014:

Probably with the superweapon too, since they will not search him. :) Oh, and she has come all this way to see Tom Mason specifically, right? While she wastes time telling him her "secret plans", he will slip his hand inside his coat and BLAM. Series over. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Right, next week.

This upcoming episode is the last episode! They had an opportunity to lead up to an awesome finale, and it is going to whimper out. They cannot just cram a great ending into a single episode. They wasted this whole season doing the same old shit they did last season, whilst adding in new characters, rebooting Pope, bringing back a Lexi-thing, abd almost nothing being shown of the Isveni being destroyed. What happened to those mothership things that were in the cities? What about the miniature skitter critters they showed before? What about the flying critters? We will likely never know. :(

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I take it you really meant it having repeated it four times... :biggrin: