Episode Review: Episode 19, "Blockade" by Terran77

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
LINK to Front Page review HERE

Thought I'd move this out into the main area, rather have it inside the preview/discussion. So here's my review of the "Blockade" episode. I re-watched it a few times to catch missed details. Let me know your thoughts, or if I'm missing something glaring.

Plot/Story

We begin this episode with Rush coming to see Eli and asking for calculations, lamenting about the lack of real paper to write on. Eli is replaying the Novans' dedication of their first school, which prompts Rush to say, "Eli, if you don't have anything better to do..." and Eli returns quickly with, "there's no TV to watch, and honestly, they're us: humans." Also, Eli misses the colonists, which they've apparently dropped off, sometime between the end of the last episode and the beginning of this one. Now they're headed to a different planet, again getting low on energy reserves.

Back on the bridge, Rush learns that the Destiny has dropped out of FTL to take a detour around a gas giant before refueling at a local star. Almost immediately they see that the drone-ships have set up a blockade near the star, complete with a command ship. Young decides to go back into FTL and search out another star for refueling. Everyone, except Rush, is concerned about how the drones knew they'd be coming. Eli suggests that the drones may be predicting their course, and so they plan to go "off course" in order to recharge at a star not along the planned route of the seed ships. We're again reminded of a limitation of the Destiny: that going back into FTL too quickly can seriously damage the engines, so getting into a fight unprepared is not an option.

Unfortunately, the next star they've chosen also has a blockade of drone-ships, so it's back into FTL until they can come up with a better plan. Telford "stones in" for an update, TJ notes that the ship is starting to power down various systems to conserve energy, and Rush and Eli describe their only apparent option: to refuel at a blue supergiant star. But because of the dangerous temperature of such a star, this plan means most of the crew must evacuate temporarily during the recharge process and those who remain to pilot must wear space suits.

Also, because the Destiny's shields aren't powerful enough, they try to save as much as they can of their hydroponics garden. But very quickly afterward, they start evacuating to a nearby planet. Dr. Park asks to stay behind on the ship; she thinks that with the protection of a suit, she might be able to save the valuable medicinal plants they've collected from previous planets they've visited.

The Destineers arrive at what Eli dubs "Pittsburgh" though it looks abandoned. It is, Eli suggests, possibly one of the earlier colonies of the Novans, as their descendants sent out colonists for hundreds of years. Young notes that there could be danger, after all something did prompt the inhabitants to leave, and Greer jokingly replies, "have you ever been to Pittsburgh?" Lt. James looks insulted, "hey! I was born there!" They agree to break up in small teams to look for supplies, including new clothes and food stores.

Meanwhile, Dr. Park and Eli have suited up and are collecting the medicinal plants. Rush calls and reminds Eli to come and start preparations for flying the Destiny through the blue supergiant, so he leaves Park to her work after joking, "don't leave me alone with him too long." She says, "be right behind you!" Eli returns to the bridge, and after a little spat with Rush they decide that Eli should be the primary pilot to make course corrections and calculations on the fly. Out of time, Park gets trapped in the hydroponics bay.

On the abandoned planet, the Destineers find very little of use. Most of the buildings have been cleaned out of useful supplies. Oddly, there are also no vehicles anywhere to be seen. They do find a diner with canned food, although the labels have faded due to age. Greer wants to save them anyway, and Volker packs them while muttering, "mmm, botulism!"

Back at the site of the planet's stargate, one of them has found a newspaper written in a variant of English, a clue that the planet was attacked. The headlines read, "Terminus Under Siege", "Atak!!" and "Exodus of Heroz". Apparently the attack came from space, some sort of machines. Young confirms this from his team's high vantage point in the city, "these people were wiped out." They decide to continue the search for possible supplies, and Greer replies, "copy that, keep shopping... keep shopping." Dismayed at not finding any gun stores, Volker says, "maybe they're Canadian." Shortly thereafter, they hear a machine and take cover in nearby buildings. Seconds later, one of the drone ships flies by and starts a search pattern effectively pinning them down.

On the Destiny, Rush and Eli can't get the door to the hydroponics bay to open. Destiny has completely locked them out. Running out of time and with "Eli taking too much time to save {Park} instead of preparing to pilot the ship", Rush suggests that she finish suiting up and immerse herself in main water tank. Unconvinced, but with no other way to survive, she agrees.

Meanwhile, one of the civilian Destineers gets antsy and grabs the stargate dialing device and starts it up for a nearby planet. Lt. James immediately knocks him out with a face-punch and halts it, but not quickly enough: one of the drone ships outside tracked the energy and is moving toward their position. Lt. Scott, using his radio to warn her, prompts another drone ship to fire directly on his hiding place. Greer sees this, and opens fire on the drone. Combined fire from Greer, Scott and Young luckily bring down the drone, so their teams head back to the stargate. Lt. James hears the second drone's approach and activates her radio so it will track her. When it's drawn out, Varro shoots it down with some type of grenade launcher. All of the teams on the planet reunite.

Back to the Destiny, Eli and Rush find themselves put to the test. Flying toward the star, they have some trouble keeping pace with Destiny's attempts to abort and turn away. Shields appear to hold as they activate the energy collectors, but Eli nearly panics as he modulates the shields to save the ship from the incredible heat. Park immerses herself in the water bay, which has begun to steam and boil. Fully recharged and starting up the engines to exit the star, we see the heat destroy the hydroponics bay as the dome shears away and Park is nearly sucked out into space. Screaming from the heat and shock, she briefly opens her eyes to see the whirling fire all around her. On the bridge, Rush sees that hydroponics is completely open to space, prompting Eli to rush down to see if Park is still alive.

Young congratulates Lt. James on killing the second drone, and she notes "Varro made the shot." He then tells Wray that he couldn't find a grocery store or a gun store, but did manage to find a dry cleaner and possibly a new suit that will work for her. Wray relates what they've learned from the Terminus newspaper, that a number of heroic citizens sacrificed their lives to draw the drones away with a vehicle convoy while the stargate was moved to a low-technology area of the town. Once set up there, the others escaped through the stargate.

Eli makes it down to the bay while Rush is able to override the door control now that they're safely away from the star. Crying and terrified, she says "I can't see..." She might have been flash-blinded, or she might be permanently blinded, there's no way yet to tell. Gating back to the Destiny a bit earlier than planned, Young and the others see a drone command ship land on the planet surface. Rush quietly conveys to Young that Eli "was amazing, just genius, making calculations on the fly." Young states, "he might have to do it again," but Rush says "I doubt they'll fall for our trick again. At least we have a full tank of gas."

Characterization / Characters

After all the time they've been on ship, and all that they've been through, it's still difficult to watch Eli act sheepishly toward Rush. Eli is still the same as he was at the beginning, and truthfully so is Rush. Eli is still the "kid genius" and Rush is the angry single-minded pragmatist.

No surprises really from the rest of the cast, as this is again just a "hunt for supplies" type of filler episode, except for some very nice moments from actress Julia Benson who plays Lt. James. Finally we get to see her in military mode rather than as eye candy. Her face-punch to the out-of-line crewman was an "Oh Yeah!" kickass moment, but seeing her strategize with Varro to draw out the drone and bring it down showed some real thought and the "stands tall in the face of death" character that I expect from Stargate military personnel. So it was very nice indeed to finally see this from Lt. James.

With Dr. Park, I can't help thinking that this is going to be yet another injury that is miraculously and oh-so-fortunately fixed by the next episode. If it's permanent blindness, I'll be extremely surprised. Given that there is only one more episode, we may never actually know if it's permanent or not.

Overall Thoughts

Honestly, I was a little shocked that they so quickly and suddenly got rid of the remaining Novan colonists, without showing us any of it whatsoever. To hear about it in an offhand comment was just odd. In fact, if you missed Eli's one line about it, you might think they were still on board. They could have had Eli watching a kino of their departure and goodbyes rather than having him review the school dedication on early Novus. Goodbye, Yaozu and the rest, we barely knew you!

I'm still not quite sure why the Destiny couldn't have caught up with the Novan evacuee ship. After all, it would've been a matter of mathematically calculating the right moment to drop out of FTL in order to "catch up" with them; and we do have all of these math whizzes on board. But that was not to be, so I'll be left wondering why, I suppose.

Definitely a lot of filler in this episode, which was somewhat expected given that the next episode was clearly a planned cliffhanger as the season ender. There were lots of unexpected moments of well-done humor. From Greer's "shopping, shopping.." comments to Volker's "mmm, botulism!" quip. Still, lengthy moments of wandering around an abandoned town might have been better used to show us other things. Perhaps even a semi-feral survivor or two.

We still have learned very little about the drones, their command ships, or even the races involved in this galaxy-spanning war that apparently wiped out both sides. On the surface, going with robotic drones has a certain sort of appeal: it brings to mind the Cylons and Battlestar Galactica, and actually hearkens back much further as a classic trope in sci-fi. But making the drones the season-ending enemy seems like a giant mistake, especially given that we still know so little about them.

Cold, robotic enemies as a concept are scary at the prima facie level, but in practice they have been extremely problematic as a primary sci-fi plot device. It's something Star Trek knew all too well with the Borg, and why they had to eventually have "Hugh" and eventually a Borg Queen. It's why both the new and the old Battlestar Galactica needed some of the Cylons to have distinct personalities. It's why both the Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis replicators needed more than just the "bugs" to fight against. That's why, at least to me, these robotic drones in SGU still seem rather empty and pointless after many episodes, and the writers are sadly making a "first year screenwriting" type of mistake. Perhaps they planned to introduce some personality to the drone-controllers in Season 3, but I suppose we'll never know.

Finally, I keep wanting the writers to give us something more about the Destiny's big mission. Throw us a bone, give us more details than the "God signal" that seems to have been dropped almost as fast as it was introduced. Nearing the end of a second season, I need to know that the main hook of the overarching "mission" is still something we're shooting for. But more than that, I'd really like to know what that mission is, and why the Ancients went to all the trouble of outfitting and putting Destiny on this course. Still beyond even that, I'd like to know why the crew should want to risk their lives by staying on the Destiny rather than recalling the seed ships for the extra power that could dial them home.

Big Questions

- why no mention of TJ's ALS this episode, or any attempt to locate a database that might have her cure? It was the BIG DEAL of the last episode.

- if the hydroponics bay was unable to withstand the heat, what about their three shuttles? Why would the "glass"(?) on the shuttles be more resistant than the dome?

- was there absolutely nothing of interest on the Novan colony where they dropped off the colonists? Nothing at all? No supplies, or any sign of attack there? Just nothing?

- we get Telford "stoning in" for a report, but we learn nothing about what happened back on Earth at the SGC? Seriously?

Final Grade: C

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Another good review!

You're consistently right about the lack of character growth on this show, especially in regards to Eli. It's getting annoying at this point because it makes no sense.

The biggest problem of all is that the show is simply a scattered mess. Like you said they brought up the "finding God" mission suddenly and just as suddenly dropped it. TPTB made a big stink about how this show wasn't going to be episodic but rather, serialized, but then they end the Novan story line completely off scene as if it were an encapsulated episode. They have Varro plunge to his near-death in the last episode (leaving his fate hanging according to TJ) and in this one he's up and moving around just fine it seems. (A certain someone argued with me about the "realism" of injury healing on SGU recently. This is yet more proof that SGU isn't anymore realistic than the other Stargate shows.)

SGU = hot mess. It's like they're actually working at making it a mess. I just don't get it.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
So, another thing came to mind about the exploding hydroponics dome...

The dome's explosion, presumably, had something to do with the rapid consumption of oxygen in the room (since all of the plants were on fire) and pressure changes. But the Destiny has a pretty complex AI... even if the plants would've died from the heat, shouldn't the AI have vented the atmosphere in the dome? Park was in a suit, and it's not like the plants would've survived...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The dome's explosion, presumably, had something to do with the rapid consumption of oxygen in the room (since all of the plants were on fire) and pressure changes. But the Destiny has a pretty complex AI... even if the plants would've died from the heat, shouldn't the AI have vented the atmosphere in the dome? Park was in a suit, and it's not like the plants would've survived...

The hydroponics dome blew up? :facepalm: I havent seen the episode yet.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
The hydroponics dome blew up? :facepalm: I havent seen the episode yet.
Yeah, it went FWOOOM! in a fairly spectacular manner with all the plants on fire and Dr. Park flailing to hold on to something (she was in a pressure suit) while a vortex of fire threatened to pull her into space.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
The Destiny should have burned up in that blue supergiant's corona but it has a magic armour so it didn't. Oh Oooh it's magiiiiic you knowwwwwwww!

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob

I get the feeling that Destiny's ventilation system couldn't vent it because... they tore out the air ducts in that section when they made it two decks deeper than it was in the pilot. Seriously, compare the dome in the pilot to when we first see it in Visitation and you immediately notice the difference.

S

Stonelesscutter

What benefit would there have been if Destiny had vented the dome?

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
What benefit would there have been if Destiny had vented the dome?
Well, it would've gotten hot, but without air and steam it probably wouldn't have exploded. No oxygen = no fire.

Still would've destroyed the plants, but the dome maybe could've been saved and they could start another arboretum / garden.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Well, it would've gotten hot, but without air and steam it probably wouldn't have exploded. No oxygen = no fire.

Still would've destroyed the plants, but the dome maybe could've been saved and they could start another arboretum / garden.

they still can seeing as they have 2 repair robots.. ie they can fix it Again.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Sure, possibly... but they wouldn't have needed to, right? :)

depends on the structural tolerance of the dome if per say the oxygen it contained was the cause of the blow out and resulting structural failiure and not the suns heat weakening its structure and imo the latter is more plausible with the whole sheild attenuation over a transluscent srface such as the dome "Glass" etc.

S

Stonelesscutter

depends on the structural tolerance of the dome if per say the oxygen it contained was the cause of the blow out and resulting structural failiure and not the suns heat weakening its structure and imo the latter is more plausible with the whole sheild attenuation over a transluscent srface such as the dome "Glass" etc.

I think the suns heat both weakened the structure and raised the air temperature inside and thus also the pressure which worked together to destroy the dome.

S

Stonelesscutter

In this ep I found it fairly obvious from the beginning that something bad was gonna happen to Park. I actually thought she was going to die but it turned out only to be blindness. But perhaps they will restore her sight in the next ep or it'll resolve itself.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Based on what I saw, the breach corresponds to where the hole originally was in the pilot, and since the rest of the dome is intact, I'm betting it's a materials failure and not an actual structural issue, considering that none of the other large window structures failed.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm with Terran77 on the AI angle. He's definitely onto something there.

How is it that the AI on Destiny can look into someone's head and project images and holograms and all sorts of fantastical stuff yet it can't detect a human life form in an area of the ship that is in danger??? And I don't buy the excuse that that particular part of the AI was offline. Give me a break! Too ridiculously convenient.

The protection of life (human life, Ancient and otherwise) would have been the first directive in the AI commands. Going back to classic sci-fi stories ("I Robot" "I Sing the Body Electric", etc.) protecting human life has always been a core tenet of AI existence. The AI's first duty would be to protect human life, pure and simple. Park wouldn't have been locked in the arboretum/terrarium/garden. It just wouldn't happen because that first law, first command, first duty would have been in place and the AI would have known a human was attempting to exit an area that was in danger and it would have facilitated that escape.

And barring the failure of AI to do its job there would be a freakin' backup manual lever to open the door with -- or were the Ancients to damn stupid to think of that??? Yeah, let's build this super advanced space ship that can refuel within the uber hot corona of a star but we don't need to think about things like door knobs. :roll:

Okay, I have to go lay down now. The stupid emanating from this show is giving me a headache.

G

Graybrew1

How is it that the AI on Destiny can look into someone's head and project images and holograms and all sorts of fantastical stuff yet it can't detect a human life form in an area of the ship that is in danger??? And I don't buy the excuse that that particular part of the AI was offline. Give me a break! Too ridiculously convenient.

The protection of life (human life, Ancient and otherwise) would have been the first directive in the AI commands. Going back to classic sci-fi stories ("I Robot" "I Sing the Body Electric", etc.) protecting human life has always been a core tenet of AI existence. The AI's first duty would be to protect human life, pure and simple. Park wouldn't have been locked in the arboretum/terrarium/garden. It just wouldn't happen because that first law, first command, first duty would have been in place and the AI would have known a human was attempting to exit an area that was in danger and it would have facilitated that escape.

And barring the failure of AI to do its job there would be a freakin' backup manual lever to open the door with -- or were the Ancients to damn stupid to think of that??? Yeah, let's build this super advanced space ship that can refuel within the uber hot corona of a star but we don't need to think about things like door knobs. :roll:

Okay, I have to go lay down now. The stupid emanating from this show is giving me a headache.

Try a good cold compress. Or a couple glasses of wine. Whichever works better. LOL :biggrin:

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob

I don't think the Destiny's AI didn't detect Park, it just didn't care she was there. I think it's a fundamental mistake to assume that all AI would conform to Asimov's Three laws in all circumstances instead of looking at what the likely priorities would be when designing an AI for a specific mission profile. I think it's fair to say that the safety of the ship would be the top priority of Destiny's AI, which crew safety being second or third at best, mostly because the ship itself is critical to the mission-without Destiny flying around, collecting data, and staying intact, there's no point to any of it. While Destiny does need a crew to analyze the data, it can pretty much do everything else by itself, and in order to ensure the long term survival of the crew it has to minimize the risk to itself as much as possible. Sacrificing a crew member or two to ensure the rest of the ship remains intact is pure logic issue to the Destiny's AI, much like giving TJ that vision of her child being on the Faith planet, and given the situation the AI found itself in, flying into a blue super giant with a compromised section that could fail at any time, it made the logical choice to seal off the dome and leave Park to her fate.

As for the lack of manual lever to open the door, I suspect teat the Ancients who designed Destiny realized that was better to err on the side of caution and minimize the human element in damage control by putting that mostly on the ship's AI and making it difficult for people to override it manually to avoid emotion getting the better of reason and causing an even greater tragedy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Its just more proof that no matter what the fans or anyone else was saying, Stargate Universe was going to fill each week with vapid, nonsensical "science", and forced drama between characters we barely know or like. I dont recall Brad & Co hiring science advisers or military advisers for season 2, but they sure hired soap writers and sudsed it up even more than in season1. But the biggest shocker was them keeping the stones in the show. Instead of getting rid of them or SEVERELY limiting them through some new hazard or risk, they try to turn them into actual technology? When that episode where Ginn and Amanda were cached in the computer, Rush was going on about a "command signal" coming from the stones...how can this be? In order for communications to be in REAL TIME between Destiny and earth, even magic would have to make a signal which could travel BILLIONS of light years INSTANTLY. How is any computer made by any race ever conceived in science fiction going to pick up such a signal?