Episode Review: Episode 18: "Epilogue"

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, SGU has sexism, not sure if it's outright misogyny. And what I'm doing is just simple redirection into healthy fantasy. :)

It's like when my gf "redirects" me toward cake. Solves EVERYTHING. :)

Perhaps misogyny is too strong a word but I think it certainly approaches that definition. However we label it there is certainly an underlying mistreatment of female characters on SGU. Lt. James is just one example. TJ is another. One is objectified and the other is traditionally submissive.

Regardless of who is writing the episodes, male or female, that person should be intelligent and creative enough to depict women positively, or at the very least not make them into 1970's cliche's.

(And in this regard I think it's proper to ridicule and mock the female characters on SGU because they're written so poorly.)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
hey! im not a squee-drone ;)

True, you're not.

I'd love to know what you think of the way they depict women on SGU though. It's something that's bugged me for the whole run, namely in the wedding episode where they turn James into a Hooters waitress basically. I always wondered why the actor never complained about how her character was nothing more than a blow-up doll.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
True, you're not.

I'd love to know what you think of the way they depict women on SGU though. It's something that's bugged me for the whole run, namely in the wedding episode where they turn James into a Hooters waitress basically. I always wondered why the actor never complained about how her character was nothing more than a blow-up doll.

i share your oppinion on the portrayal of women in SGU but i also think that the sexism translates through the whole franchiese and i lay that entire burden on the heads of the writers and personally i HAVE very very little respect fro their suposed "skills" and truth be told im dredding that new transporter series mozz is involved in as im sure that the things i feel made SG bad will translate into transporter.

G

Graybrew1

Forget about the autograph, where's that green you promised me? :)
Regarding TJ. I've heard that sort of thing happens all the time in real life too. So perhaps it's not so much TJ's fault as it is a typical female characteristic. ;)

I think some are not understanding the part of this that was replied to. This was not about the women character's of SGU, this statement was about "typical female characteristic"s.

I know he was joking , but I really do appreciate the....distracting pictures. LOL

S

Stonelesscutter

I think some are not understanding the part of this that was replied to. This was not about the women character's of SGU, this statement was about "typical female characteristic"s.

I know he was joking , but I really do appreciate the....distracting pictures. LOL

You thought I was joking?
Hmmm...
Okay. :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Holy crap, that episode was high-larious. Seriously, if Eli became any more chick-ish, I would have expected him to have a birthing scene. Black hole, I threw up a little when they said that. Figures Chloe and everyone would care about who hooks up with who more than getting supplies! Freakin hi-larious.

Eli hookup was kinda funny though, wham bam romance.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
You know I didn't know what is poontang (refering to the comments about Wray, how she stays healthy), since my native language is not english and it's first time I've heard that word. So I looked it up and LOL..I actually found some site refering to "poontang juice" scent they are selling for real. http://www.geekologie.com/2007/12/german_poontang_juice_is_horri.php
As that post says, the real link to the site is NSFW though, but wtf.

What's next, ass perfume?

S

Stonelesscutter

Boy did this thread get derailed.
And not in a good way. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is so weird...I havent bothered to download or watch the past three episodes of SGU. Im just...over it. I have been watching all 4 seasons of Primeval (brilliant show), watching B-grade movies on Netflix, and rewatching season 1 of Stargate SG-1. Its very interesting to watch the Stargate movie then immediately watch season 1, episode 1-1 of SG-1 "Children of the Gods". Stargate Universe just doesnt hold my interest after McKay has appeared. I already know how its gonna go:

Angst, more angst, a twist, a plothole, shaky cam, bad lighting, hanging storyline. The End.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
This is so weird...I havent bothered to download or watch the past three episodes of SGU. Im just...over it. I have been watching all 4 seasons of Primeval (brilliant show), watching B-grade movies on Netflix, and rewatching season 1 of Stargate SG-1. Its very interesting to watch the Stargate movie then immediately watch season 1, episode 1-1 of SG-1 "Children of the Gods". Stargate Universe just doesnt hold my interest after McKay has appeared. I already know how its gonna go:

Angst, more angst, a twist, a plothole, shaky cam, bad lighting, hanging storyline. The End.

:facepalm:

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Watch doctor who man!!!

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
lol, agree to disagree, I like the doctor and all but there's isn't much story in it, mostly creative aliens and the doctor outsmarting them in some wacky way.

I guess that's true for the first four seasons of the new series, however with season 5 the show really took a more serialized turn and episodes like the last one leaves me with nothing but questions.