Dune-like qualities?

trelaine

GateFans Noob
B5 reminded me of Dune. I'm not sure why. I must say that the guy who played G'Kar was excellent how he could "emote" so well through all that makeup! Londo was fun too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Really?

B5 reminded me of Dune. I'm not sure why. I must say that the guy who played G'Kar was excellent how he could "emote" so well through all that makeup! Londo was fun too.

Dune is a classic, but it reminded me more of Lord of the Rings, or perhaps Star Wars in premise. It was very medieval to me, only in space. Queens, emperors, priesthoods, guilds, Fremen...all very druid-like and medieval. I sorta thought B5 was really unique in every respect. Its one of my favorite TV series, and it had a very smooth and complete arc which was conceived from the very beginning unlike the "grow as you go" strategy of Suckgate Unicrap.

G'Kar was awesome, and I loved De'lynn's character too. The Vorlons were awesome!

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Dune is a classic, but it reminded me more of Lord of the Rings, or perhaps Star Wars in premise. It was very medieval to me, only in space. Queens, emperors, priesthoods, guilds, Fremen...all very druid-like and medieval. I sorta thought B5 was really unique in every respect. Its one of my favorite TV series, and it had a very smooth and complete arc which was conceived from the very beginning unlike the "grow as you go" strategy of Suckgate Unicrap.

G'Kar was awesome, and I loved De'lynn's character too. The Vorlons were awesome!

As someone who seems to know a lot about B5 you wouldnt happen to know which episode has sheridan/bab 5 under fire not expecting help and De'lynn comes to the rescue in her ship do you? its been mentioned to me but they have no idea what ep, what series etc and ive just watched a load of vids on youtube but cant find a clip like this.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think that was "Severed Dreams"

As someone who seems to know a lot about B5 you wouldnt happen to know which episode has sheridan/bab 5 under fire not expecting help and De'lynn comes to the rescue in her ship do you? its been mentioned to me but they have no idea what ep, what series etc and ive just watched a load of vids on youtube but cant find a clip like this.

That was the "Severed Dreams" episode, season 3 episode 10 (omg, how do I know that?). That was an AWESOME episode! It would have been an awesome cliffhanger, but was in the mid season. Sheridan almost lost B5 and then Delenn came to the rescue with her Minbari ships. Great episode! I dont know if its on Hulu or not.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
That was the "Severed Dreams" episode, season 3 episode 10 (omg, how do I know that?). That was an AWESOME episode! It would have been an awesome cliffhanger, but was in the mid season. Sheridan almost lost B5 and then Delenn came to the rescue with her Minbari ships. Great episode! I dont know if its on Hulu or not.

Thankyou so much, im going to search for it now!

Deity59

GateFans Noob

Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar) was a master at his craft. Check out his bio.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0441537/bio

Impressive. To bad he is no longer with us.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
B5 is a major inspiration for me. The way the plot driven arcs were seamlessly put together and even what seems like a filler episode like Babylon Squared suddenly becomes epically important later on... It's marvelous!

Isn't the spelling Delenn though?

And Marcus. OMG. MARCUS. I wubs him so much.

vBooji1.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, its Delenn

B5 is a major inspiration for me. The way the plot driven arcs were seamlessly put together and even what seems like a filler episode like Babylon Squared suddenly becomes epically important later on... It's marvelous!

Isn't the spelling Delenn though?

And Marcus. OMG. MARCUS. I wubs him so much.

vView attachment 374

Yes.

And I liked pre-morphed Delenn better than the "transformed" Delenn :icon_cool:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Did you find the episode?

Thankyou so much, im going to search for it now!

Did you find it? Here is the battle scene. This episode won the Hugo Award that year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYoCvgAAiQ8

F

Frumenta

I just read Dune for the first time. I was flashing to Star Wars a lot (Lucas wasn't that original after all) but I can't say I ever saw anything that reminded me of B5.

And I must agree on the G'kar love. He was my favourite character with Lando a close second. It was weird since I had started out finding G'kar rather freaky yet Katsulas blew me away with his performance even under all that makeup. In the episode where his homeworld is attacked and he's trying to get help from the other planets he had me crying non stop.