Disney is Burning Down - 2023 string of box-office bombs is killing the company.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not sure for every film, but Disney took huge baths on The Marvels, Little Mermaid, Wish, Indiana Jones and others. In fact I think their only profitable film was GotG3?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Disney messed up Star Wars. Customers notice things like that. :P

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I'm not sure for every film, but Disney took huge baths on The Marvels, Little Mermaid, Wish, Indiana Jones and others. In fact I think their only profitable film was GotG3?
Yep, Elemental and the lackluster TV shows too. Nobody can say for sure if those mid level shows were the cause of the Disney+ subscriber exodus, but it's very probable. Some of it is due to backlash of company politics.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think it is a combination of the poorer quality of the products and the absurdly high budgets. Godzilla Minus One cost $15 million to make and looks better than The Little Mermaid which cost roughly 15 times as much. We've seen this before with films like Joker where the budget was very small but the film looks better than films (like The Eternals or Doctor Strange Mansions of Madness) that cost ten or more times as much to make.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
The vast majority of the viewing audience feels this deterioration happening to Disney products and locales. Here is one from Disparu

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV7OVLzq_Fw
I think it is a combination of the poorer quality of the products and the absurdly high budgets. Godzilla Minus One cost $15 million to make and looks better than The Little Mermaid which cost roughly 15 times as much. We've seen this before with films like Joker where the budget was very small but the film looks better than films (like The Eternals or Doctor Strange Mansions of Madness) that cost ten or more times as much to make.
Also, poor writing and even the choreography/the way that movies are shot and produced I think has been terrible It's too much in your face kind of shots and it feels extremely digitised as well. When I watch old shows I can see they are evenly paced to human levels. Now, they are paced at robot levels or insanely long like the shitty Bladerunner movie sequel was and so many unnecessary scenes and I hated Blade runner 1 but only liked the soundtrack by Vangelis. Movie scores also sound exactly the same using the same hans zimmer loud drums and loud droning french horns and trombones and using digital audio workstation to create scores too. There are no human moments in most movies, they just feel fake and plastic and no emotion in them that you can relate or empathise and terrible terrible forgotten humour as well.

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Also, poor writing and even the choreography/the way that movies are shot and produced I think has been terrible It's too much in your face kind of shots and it feels extremely digitised as well. When I watch old shows I can see they are evenly paced to human levels. Now, they are paced at robot levels or insanely long like the shitty Bladerunner movie sequel was and so many unnecessary scenes and I hated Blade runner 1 but only liked the soundtrack by Vangelis. Movie scores also sound exactly the same using the same hans zimmer loud drums and loud droning french horns and trombones and using digital audio workstation to create scores too. There are no human moments in most movies, they just feel fake and plastic and no emotion in them that you can relate or empathise and terrible terrible forgotten humour as well.
All of this stinks of heavy-use of A.I. I do think that the plasticky, unnatural feel of the new stuff will become much better, but right now it's not much better than game cutscenes in terms of believably. I find most of it boring.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
All of this stinks of heavy-use of A.I. I do think that the plasticky, unnatural feel of the new stuff will become much better, but right now it's not much better than game cutscenes in terms of believably. I find most of it boring.
I don't think it will become better. It's hard emulate human stuff almost damn impossible I think.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I agree. There are no shows drawing fanbases large enough to have their own conventions. Not even Star Trek, unless the old Trek is also included and even then they are half what they used to be. The comics have become boring and infected with agendas too. Nobody wants to go to the events.
But what could be causing this though? Maybe there might be some serious burnout within the industry. l don't know I haven't lived long enough to come up with a conclusion. I thought I would discuss this here rather than the random banter thread.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
But what could be causing this though? Maybe there might be some serious burnout within the industry. l don't know I haven't lived long enough to come up with a conclusion. I thought I would discuss this here rather than the random banter thread.
I watched it happen. In 2019, I was working in the Industry in information technology (Engineering Support), and I watched as it started with Human Resources. Once that department was filled with DEI employees, they became the instrument of replacing/hiring workers in key positions in order to steer the company in a new direction. The changes were rapid and extreme. My colleagues at other studios tole me the same thing happened in their HR departments as well. THAT was the vulnerable entry point.