Cloud Atlas

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Caught an ad for this while watching this week's WH13. A new Wachowski brothers movie...

Due out October 26th - seems like late advertising or maybe I just missed it. :tongue:

G

Graybrew1

I am not looking at any trailers for this, I really want to go into this one with as little knowledge as possible and be surprised. I will go see this one OUT. :smiley-money-mouth:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I am not looking at any trailers for this, I really want to go into this one with as little knowledge as possible and be surprised. I will go see this one OUT. :smiley-money-mouth:

Please report back when you see it. According to IMDB it is a pretty long film - 164 minutes.

G

Graybrew1

It won't be for awhile for me, but it will be in a theatre for this one for me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im watching this movie right now. Strange, but beautiful. The cinematography is exceptional, and the story telling is very deep and requires your complete attention. I thought I would take a break to post this because its a very long movie and I am certain I will have to watch it again a couple of times to get the story. Anybody else here seen this and understand it? I felt the same way about the Matrix, but that is only after watching the trio of Matrix movies at least 10 times. :) This is philosophy in film...like The Matrix. I am not sure what the message in this movie is yet, but I am sure I will. I have to wonder just how confused the movie watching audience for this movie was. NO WAY you can get it all in one showing.

Back to the film!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
AFAIK only ESA and OMNI have watched it as well.
I have not seen it yet, but from the trailers it looks like a spin on the "Eternal Champion" trope, but the champion bit is not required. Cross lives, cross dimensional type of stuff yeah?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
AFAIK only ESA and OMNI have watched it as well.
I have not seen it yet, but from the trailers it looks like a spin on the "Eternal Champion" trope, but the champion bit is not required. Cross lives, cross dimensional type of stuff yeah?

OH WOW......this movie could never be properly critiqued by the critics judging crap like Prometheus and Avatar and calling those great. Sure, those movies had eye candy orgasms and action galore, but no real story. This movie is just THICK with story...layers upon layers of story. The Watchowskis can write their asses off IMO. The execution in this is also excellent. This is philosophy. :) A thinking person's movie.

Im on my second viewing of it right now. Just WOW. My brain is all warmed up by it. :) How could there be any sort of trailer made for this flick? Unless you just want to showcase some of the visuals in it, a trailer could never tell you about or even hint at the story going on in this movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have watched this twice in one night for the first time. Just WOW. It will be the first two of several more. :) If you "get" The Matrix, then this movie is for you. It is pure storytelling genius, and the visual part of the movie does the story justice. I think that judging this movie on anything other than its story is unfair, because although the visuals are excellent, this is not a coloring book movie like Avatar, or a convoluted fiction like Prometheus. This is philosophy anchored in the real world, portrayed in a variety of times and mindsets, all connected all the way into the characters. Tom Hanks and Halle Barry and Hugo Weaving give exceptional performances in this movie. It should have been up for an Oscar, but given that the judges panel of the Academy are just too far beneath the ability to even see what this movie is about, I am not surprised that it did not.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...s_2013_the_true_true_snub_is_cloud_atlas.html

These gems like this movie may not get the true recognition they deserve until eyes able to understand this type of film (also The Matrix) are in the position to do the judging. This is a MUST SEE movie for anyone who wants a deep and moving experience. And that experience might not come the first time around. Its the type of movie you discuss afterwards with friends...long afterward. Just wow. Im fresh off the second viewing.

cloud-atlas-poster-banner.jpg

It is intriguing to me that no image, no video clip, no set of images from the film can remotely hint what it is about. It cant fit into the space of any trailer, and you cant really create excerpts to describe it.

5-stars.jpg

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Good to see that someone else has come to realize just how fantastic this movie is. ;) In fact, reading your thoughts on it just makes me want to watch it all over again. It just never gets old.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
OH WOW......this movie could never be properly critiqued by the critics judging crap like Prometheus and Avatar and calling those great. Sure, those movies had eye candy orgasms and action galore, but no real story. This movie is just THICK with story...layers upon layers of story. The Watchowskis can write their asses off IMO. The execution in this is also excellent. This is philosophy. :) A thinking person's movie.

Im on my second viewing of it right now. Just WOW. My brain is all warmed up by it. :) How could there be any sort of trailer made for this flick? Unless you just want to showcase some of the visuals in it, a trailer could never tell you about or even hint at the story going on in this movie.

Was I close?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Was I close?

"from the trailers it looks like a spin on the "Eternal Champion" trope, but the champion bit is not required. Cross lives, cross dimensional type of stuff yeah?"

Uh, not really...

This is more like one very long timeline (hundreds of years), with the stories taking place in snips along that timeline. It is not done in a continuous fashion, but is very carefully and clearly connected throughout. It is worth the time to watch it. You would like it. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
"from the trailers it looks like a spin on the "Eternal Champion" trope, but the champion bit is not required. Cross lives, cross dimensional type of stuff yeah?"

Uh, not really...

This is more like one very long timeline (hundreds of years), with the stories taking place in snips along that timeline. It is not done in a continuous fashion, but is very carefully and clearly connected throughout. It is worth the time to watch it. You would like it. :)

Well, the Eternal champion is not really continuous either.
An example would be Robin Hood and King Arthur which under this idea have the same "soul" but arise at different times as needed.

But yeah, it's just come out on DVD here and I was thinking of getting it anyway :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, the Eternal champion is not really continuous either.
An example would be Robin Hood and King Arthur which under this idea have the same "soul" but arise at different times as needed.

But yeah, it's just come out on DVD here and I was thinking of getting it anyway :)

Where?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I also have to say that the Cloud Atlas soundtrack is just as fantastic as the movie itself. Definitely one of the best movie soundtracks I've heard in several years.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I also have to say that the Cloud Atlas soundtrack is just as fantastic as the movie itself. Definitely one of the best movie soundtracks I've heard in several years.

Is it a real piece? I would love to learn to play that concerto. Not sure if you know I am also a pianist. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This sounds easy to play.

Its not as nice as the orchestral version IMO but the piano version is nice in this. I hear two voices (string and piano). My digital piano can do this. :) Doesn't sound challenging though...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Is it just me, or does the pic for your clip look like a oceanbound ship heading to Atlantis??