CBS ALL ACCESS /PARAMOUNT + series THE STAND

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Wonder if they will get this right? I think just as we have seen that serialization is better for things like SW's, so too, would it be for Stephen King stories.

A series allows for far more time to get all the details a guy like King put into his books

The trailer looks good.. guess we shall see. Premieres in December

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Eh.

I see a gender swap and an ethnicity swap; so it will probably be woke. The actor cast as Stu seems okay and maybe the Larry actor will be. Whoopi Goldberg is horribly miscast as Mother Abagail - Ruby Dee was fantastic in the role. Also Stellen Skaarsgard as Flagg?

The ABC miniseries is pretty good in part because Mick Garris and King knew what NOT to bring over from the book. This thing might be okay but I am not holding my breath.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the core-original story is what is important

actually, i am surprised the whole project wasn't cancelled as being insensitive with COVID going on :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wonder if they will get this right? I think just as we have seen that serialization is better for things like SW's, so to, would it be for Stephen King stories.

A series allows for far more time to get all the details a guy like King put into his books

The trailer looks good.. guess we shall see. Premieres in December

Why are they redoing this? The original movie version was fine.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Exactly! The original miniseries was to me the second best Stephen King adaptation on film (after The Shining). This to me looks like it has gotten woke and there is some major miscasting in it (like Whoopi Goldberg).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
also.. the movie/mini series was made for tv in the 90's. so there is a lot of detail from the book that was not in it. for one, just how bad the virus is in its effects on ppl. also, the type and amounts of violence. there was a good bit of the "good guy" story left out as well with the Denver ppl and with mother abigail

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really I thought that King and Garris deciding to leave out the more stomach turning violence IMPROVED that miniseries. On Mother Abigail I think the mini caught all of the character threads properly.

They did of course drop some characters and combine some (like Rita being combined with Nadine) but that helped make the miniseries more coherent and less meandering (a problem in the book).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Really I thought that King and Garris deciding to leave out the more stomach turning violence IMPROVED that miniseries. On Mother Abigail I think the mini caught all of the character threads properly.

They did of course drop some characters and combine some (like Rita being combined with Nadine) but that helped make the miniseries more coherent and less meandering (a problem in the book).

yes, it was good. not saying it wasn't.. just details can help tell a better story.. like just how gruesome/ridiculous man can get in crisis

i mean, a few yrs back, if told that in a upcoming pandemic, there would be mad rushes to get toilet paper and ppl would be shot for telling someone else to wear a mask.. without those details, just saying "there will be a pandemic' is a bit less hitting