Cat Lovers Thread

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Because I have allergies, I never got into pets, at least since I was a kid.

Some of my friends have cat allergies. But, I am a very fastidious clean sorta guy so there is never any cat litter smell or cat hair on my furniture (cause I have to clean it off every day!) You are allergic to the dander. Cats probably trigger it more than dogs do, right? If you have access to horses anywhere, they will not trigger your allergies, and they are very cool mellow animals. Most tame horses are very friendly and will approach humans even if they are in a 1-acre field with plenty of places to run. Also, birds, white rats and most pet rodents like hamsters, gerbils and rabbits will not trigger the allergies.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes, but so was Churchill, Einstein, Nostradamus, Hemingway (my big cat Siete is a Hemingway cat - Maine Coon), tons more famous male cat lovers here:

https://user.xmission.com/~emailbox/cat_lovers.htm

Why did you choose to only mention Stalin? Do you not like cats?

"they" say that Caesar had a couple of cats during his conquest of Gaul. He even had one "normed" to ride a horse with him (behind his back)

He is said to have used them (as many other ancient ppls did)as a way to judge the time while in the field--mainly when it was high noon, going by the time when his cat's pupils were the most constricted

Funny though how he never mentioned them in his commentaries. If he did, he would have named or listed them as any other member of his army-he wrote it in the third person.

Cat ppl can be aloof and grandiose! :daniel01: :icon_lol:

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Do you think Hemingway's cat had anything to do with his suicide?

Hemingway died of hemochromatosis. He loved polydactyl cats enough to have them nicknamed after him. Im not sure how many he had, but all of them had 6 toes or more. In my case, Dante has six toes and Siete has seven.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hemingway died of hemochromatosis. He loved polydactyl cats enough to have them nicknamed after him. Im not sure how many he had, but all of them had 6 toes or more. In my case, Dante has six toes and Siete has seven.

i was being sardonically sly

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Here is a real world question

As you may know-we have several outdoor vermin control cats--they keep mice out of our house, keep the rabbits from destroying our gardens and the chipmunk pop to a manageable size

This spring, 2 of the cats had several kittens. Before this, both mothers would use the "facilities" by going out in the woods and burying their waste.

Since the birth, one of the mothers has turned to becoming the "mad crapper"--she has foregone her former practice and is now going all over the grass and of course, not even trying to bury it

It is not about fear of being too far away from her kittens because she still goes off into the woods to hunt and to just get away from nursing (the other mom will nurse her kits and the other cats kits as well)

Any ideas about how to possibly correct this issue in such a wide open area?

B

Backstep

As you may know-we have several outdoor vermin control cats--they keep mice out of our house, keep the rabbits from destroying our gardens and the chipmunk pop to a manageable size

This spring, 2 of the cats had several kittens. Before this, both mothers would use the "facilities" by going out in the woods and burying their waste.

Since the birth, one of the mothers has turned to becoming the "mad crapper"--she has foregone her former practice and is now going all over the grass and of course, not even trying to bury it

It is not about fear of being too far away from her kittens because she still goes off into the woods to hunt and to just get away from nursing (the other mom will nurse her kits and the other cats kits as well)

it could be to keep the toms away.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You need her to move the kittens. She is keeping her feces uncovered to ward off other cats and mark her territory. You mentioned that it wasnt because of her kittens, but I am pretty sure it is. I wouild try and put a cat box near her outside where she is pooping. If you want her to not go at all, mix up a weak solution of lemon juice and water and fill a spray bottle with it. Spray the areas she is pooping with the solution. Cats hate citrus smell, especially lemon and lime.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You need her to move the kittens. She is keeping her feces uncovered to ward off other cats and mark her territory. You mentioned that it wasnt because of her kittens, but I am pretty sure it is. I wouild try and put a cat box near her outside where she is pooping. If you want her to not go at all, mix up a weak solution of lemon juice and water and fill a spray bottle with it. Spray the areas she is pooping with the solution. Cats hate citrus smell, especially lemon and lime.

will try the lemon juice

as for the kits, she has basically farmed them out to the other mother, she is feeding her kits and the mad pooper's

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Flea season is upon us. So, in advance of this, I purchased Precor, an insect growth inhibitor. This is more effective than the knockout effect of flea and tick spray which only kills the adult fleas. Precor stops development in all stages of flea development. It prevents adult fleas from producing fertile eggs, it locks hatching larvae into the larval state and they never develop into adult fleas, and it kills newly laid eggs by preventing them from developing into larvae. I did this last year and it worked all season.

precor-flea-control.jpg

I prepared the solution by using an empty window cleaner spray bottle (32oz), with 1/4oz undiluted Precor. Then per directions, I sprayed all the cat sleeping areas, rugs, cloth furniture, and the entire perimeter of the apartment along the baseboards. Any living flea or egg which comes into contact with the treated areas will freeze at it's current state of development and die. The Precor is harmless to pets once dry.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You know with the issue these things are causing down there, I don't know why it is not open season on these things

It is illegal to kill many animals in California. Mountain Lions, certain snakes, even beehives! If that thing was in my neighborhood, it would become steaks.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Our anti-varmint squad on patrol :eagerness:

Attachments

• IMG_20141030_140412.jpg
    IMG_20141030_140412.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20141030_140412.jpg
    IMG_20141030_140412.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 93

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Our anti-varmint squad on patrol :eagerness:

Such happy cats! All four of them are showing happy-tail :) How are the kittens you were talking about a couple of months ago? Has mama cat weaned them yet?