Captain Marvel - Mar 2019

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sooo...the reviews are coming in from the critic screenings, and they aren't great. This thread has been relatively quiet considering the absolute shitstorm which has been going on over Captain Marvel. This movie coming out on March 8 had dropped to a 27% "Not interested" rating from potential viewers on Rotten Tomatoes. The ROTTENGATE article elsewhere in the forums explains it. But the reason for that was Captain Marvel.

blob:https://nypost.com/5f7d3e36-d64e-48e8-9b78-911a2f69c6e8

Excerpt:

The plot is a vocabulary lesson from hell. Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) starts off as Vers, a member of an alien race called the Kree, who fights alongside her buddy, Yon-Rogg (Law), in the elite Starforce. She has the ability to shoot powerful energy beams out of her hands, but Yon is teaching her how to restrain it. Typical man!

The Kree are at war with another race called the Skrulls, baddies who wear cheap green Halloween masks and shape-shift like Robert Patrick in “Terminator 2.” During a skirmish with them, Vers winds up on planet C-53, a k a Earth.

Naturally, writer-directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck’s film is set in 1995 because millennials and ka-ching! Vers crash-lands on a Blockbuster Video, encounters “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Space Invaders,” Troll dolls, Windows 95 and endless other cheap nostalgia.

Ouch. And the movie has not yet been released to wide audiences yet. Doomcock reads a French critic's review:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
so it's going to suck huh? :P

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
so it's going to suck huh? :P
If reports are to be believed, yes. I'll see it for myself once a good source is available, but I honestly don't have high expectations. It would suck though if it sucked. All the other Marvel movies are pretty darn good.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I rely on you guys & gals for movie reviews. I hate wasting money! :P Well except for anything with Jason Momoa! ;)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I rely on you guys & gals for movie reviews. I hate wasting money! :P Well except for anything with Jason Momoa! ;)
I just watched Aquaman and must honestly say I was a bit underwhelmed by the movie. But I'm sure the eye candy makes up for that for you.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
you know me , and other ladies so well! ;)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
you know me , and other ladies so well! ;)
Well Jason Momoa is a handsome guy I suppose. If I were a woman I'd probably think he's eye candy too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I started reading this review but couldn't finish it. Even though I haven't seen the movie yet, the difference between this review and others I've seen is so day and night that it couldn't possibly be considered an accurate representation. Some lines are just vomit inducing.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...he-hero-we-and-marvel-studios-need-right-now/
Lots of studio shilling happening. But I think the shill campaign is largely a fail. Big magazine critics, even some female critics, are giving it a fail. The Mary Sue claimed that men were giving it bad reviews without noting that the good reviews are also mostly men. :) Opening night is today so this weekend will tell the story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh wow...Captain Marvelgate?

There are multiple reports coming out which say that Captain Marvel is opening to EMPTY theaters! This would be no9 real news if the reality were not that hundreds of tickets were bre-bought through Fandango and they were no shows (no refunds). This is seriously fraudulent. Did Disney buy tickets to it's own movie across the nation to pump the numbers?

Here is the Reddit on it:

The theaters are showing empty on seating charts on sites which show them, only 1hr before the prime time showing on the weekends. At Rotten Tomatoes, you can see several OBVIOUS 5-star bot posts, complete with coding errors (code characters), and nonsensical comments. You had Rottengate where Rotten Tomatoes deleted tens of thousands of negative reviews and indeed changed their site to protect Captain Marvel. Why are they doing this? Because they want her to lead the Marvel Universe from here forward.

proxy.duckduckgo.com.gif

Social media can blow this shit wide open, if Disney does not throw money at them to suppress the info.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Doomcock had a pre-bought ticket. Then he discovered the SJW crap and said he just wouldn't go. Later he said he might go after all so he could do a review. Maybe other people had similar thoughts. I highly doubt Disney would buy up theatre seats.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Doomcock had a pre-bought ticket. Then he discovered the SJW crap and said he just wouldn't go. Later he said he might go after all so he could do a review. Maybe other people had similar thoughts. I highly doubt Disney would buy up theatre seats.

Think again. Please see the other new thread on this. It isn't isolated at all. Reports are coming in from all over the world saying that theaters screening this movie have empty seats. LOTS of them (like half or more). And the pattern seems to follow a 25-seat no show rate for every showing at certain theaters. The statistical liklihood of this being coincidence is ZERO. I can totally see why Disney (or a partner) would do this. They need to show numbers to beancounters and also to merchandise partners and other entities who would use those numbers in their decision making processes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ms Larson is a wagon.

Hopefully the snotty little madam will fail. She needs to be taken down a peg or two.

Brie Larson is a complete, total BEOTCH. I can't see how anyone would work with her. You can see it is her personality in real life that sucks so hard, not just her character. Is there a man in her life? Maybe they will make Captain Marvel a lesbian in the MCU?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I tell you another thing Overmind One. As much as I don't like Ms Larson's obnoxious face and as much as I prefer brunettes to blondes I just don't think Ms Larson is film star good looking.

I noticed a picture of Scarlet Johansson and Ms Larson together the other day. They aren't even in the same league. Johansson makes Ms Larson look like a plain Jane.

Brie has a flat butt, a boring plank of a body, small breasts, and is too skinny for my taste. Girls like her are just like the other masses of blonde 6's I see around California where I live. Her type is so common here, not many guys would look twice. She looks like a receptionist or a department store women's clothing salesperson.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I tell you another thing Overmind One. As much as I don't like Ms Larson's obnoxious face and as much as I prefer brunettes to blondes I just don't think Ms Larson is film star good looking.

I noticed a picture of Scarlet Johansson and Ms Larson together the other day. They aren't even in the same league. Johansson makes Ms Larson look like a plain Jane.

Ms Larson looks like a plain Jane even when standing next to Plain Jane. She is just BORING looking.

brie.jpeg

BLEH

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It’s not her looks that has people fed up with Brie Larson - it’s her poisonous attitude and ego.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It’s not her looks that has people fed up with Brie Larson - it’s her poisonous attitude and ego.

Totally agree. But that was just a side comment related to the conversation. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True enough. I was just thinking of other actresses who are not necessarily sexpots but because they are decent people with positive and winsome personalities people go to conventions to see them and watch them when they are in productions.

It reminded me also a little bit of the survey done years ago by browncoats.com of firefly fans asking who of the firefly female characters they would want to be with. Despite Inara and Zoe both arguably being more attractive the runaway winner was Kaylee. Personality counts.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well Joelist, Ms Larson is neither a sexpot nor has a positive and winsome personality so what exactly is her appeal?

As for Firefly I thought Zoe was completely unattractive and while Inara was lovely she was too skinny for my tastes.

Kaylee looked better in the film Serenity than in the show IMO but her personality is very attractive to me. I love down to Earth women.

I hated Major Kira out of DS9 as a teen but upon rewatching it as an adult her personality won me over. I found her very attractive. Its funny because Dax ( Terry Farrell ) is my physical type but I found her personality to be like a plank of wood. Very few women I've met have had my preferred physical attributes and an attractive personality. You know...the whole package.

I thought Zoe was sexy and attractive, but she was not my type. Inara the character was a bit too stuck up for my taste, but Morena Baccharin is EXACTLY my type. I absolutely love her body, her face, her personality, her sex appeal, everything about her. Nothing is fake. Kaylee seemed like she would be the most fun to "play" with. :) Summer Glau was the too skinny one for me. As far as Brie Larson, you have to understand that I live in California, and Brie might be considered about a 5 or a 6. Women who look like her are a dime a dozen, and usually without boyfriends. Her personality is exceptionally grating and off-putting. I would consider cutting a 10 minute speed date with her down to 5 minutes.