Captain Marvel - Mar 2019

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I love tall, statuesque dark haired women Overmind One. I don't know what Morena Baccarin is like in real life so I can't really comment on her.

Brie Larson would annoy me in seconds, entitled millenial that she is. It seems we ain't alone in our dislike. Check out Don Cheadle:

It seems to me he said "What did I tell you about touching? I told you not to touch me."

Ms Larson would be about as welcome to me as a rancid fart.

That's EXACTLY what he said. :) I can't even look at her too long. But like Joelist said, a lot of how we see her has to do with her absolutely unbearable bitchiness and conceit as a person. She isn't ugly physically, she is just...meh. Like plain yoghurt with nothing added.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The funny thing about the "billion dollar hit" is most of it is overseas where the studios don't get nearly as much of the boxoffice dollars. Domestically, despite playing in a record high number of theaters it only yesterday hit $400 million domestic. Wonder Woman hit 412 million domestic playing in fewer theaters.

As to Brie Larson, picture her with the same looks but a different personality....say the personality of a Jewel Staite or an Elisabeth Sladen. Better yes?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes Joelist. Also Captain Marvel had the advantage of coming before Endgame. Many people wanted their Marvel fix and to not miss a part of the overall story. I don't think it making that much money was down to Ms Larson's charisma myself.

If she had a more pleasant personality she would be more tolerated to me but I've never been into blondes and I like an ass on a woman so I would never be any more than a friend of hers. She just doesn't impress me in the physical department.

A man after my own heart! My standards are the same. Not into blondes or flat asses at all. Part of Black Widow's appeal is her sexy body, and the same could be said about the pre-Carol Danvers Captain Marvel in the comics who is more curvy and has more sex appeal than Brie Larson. Joelist has a point about the domestic box office. Besides the story of empty seats despite pre-purchased tickets and the movie playing on so many screens yet basically bombing domestically, that so called "billion dollar hit" is suspect. There are even similar stories about empty seats in some Chinese theaters. All of the shillery and funny business with Rotten Tomatos and YouTube and social media protecting this movie and specifically Brie Larson was unprecedented. This one character could destroy the appeal of the MCU if she becomes it's flagship character.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I just thought it was interesting that after Marvel made it sound like she has a critical part in Endgame she turned out to be in the three hour film for about 15 minutes and really did nothing.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I just thought it was interesting that after Marvel made it sound like she has a critical part in Endgame she turned out to be in the three hour film for about 15 minutes and really did nothing.
She was at some point profiled as "the saviour" though. There was unfortunately also a facepalm moment in the movie. "She's not alone" and then all the female heroes are together in the scene fighting for the common goal. There's total war going on. Have they all been standing on the side waiting for this moment? You'd think they'd be too busy fighting to notice this "girl power" opportunity. I guess we now know where their priorities lie.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True but only 15 minutes in 3 hours....almost like the Russos realized how toxic she is and had her onscreen the absolute least amount of time they could get away with under the gaze of woke Disney.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The scene I mentioned before was also strange in another regard. Captain Marvel singlehandedly destroyed Thanos' ship, but can't get the gauntlet to the van without help. ???

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did a small rewatch of some MCU films and when I was doing it I realized that a lot of these films just don't age well to me.

Iron Man was rewatchable. Doctor Strange was rewatchable. The first Thor film also was rewatchable. Ant Man was even rewatchable. On all the rest I wound up turning them off maybe 15 minutes in. The Avengers films all just felt sort of "vapid" to me. Of the four (obviously I do not own Endgame but did see it):

Avengers: Probably the best but still thin plot

Ultron: Kind of overblown and Ultron was not a good villain

Infinity War: Actually irked me the second time around. The plot holes and their attempts to cover them took me out of the story.

Endgame: Exhausting to watch and I think will not age well. The biggest problem was they tried to give everyone closure instead of a focused story.

Black Panther was okay but also did not age especially well. Captain Marvel is just cringeworthy.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I should add here that I found both Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 VERY rewatchable. I think I forgot them because I just don’t think of them as MCU films - they look different and tonally they are also different.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
She was at some point profiled as "the saviour" though. There was unfortunately also a facepalm moment in the movie. "She's not alone" and then all the female heroes are together in the scene fighting for the common goal. There's total war going on. Have they all been standing on the side waiting for this moment? You'd think they'd be too busy fighting to notice this "girl power" opportunity. I guess we now know where their priorities lie.
just watched that one-- endgame was it?

probably the only really overdone SJW scene i saw

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
wanting to get return out of disney+ sub. i decided to start watch the whole MCU-- avengers not mutants- line of films in timeline order, an option disney+ has to watch the films

i have only prev watched cpt america, the iron man films and 1 thor film

but i have started over. watching cpt marvel, i am not really seeing the over the top SJWism, girl power stuff.

and the character-once she gets her human memories back or in flashbacks, her, and her friends, attitude is really no diff then real life female combat pilots of that time

they had to be 'mouthy' and show off, even more so than the men. they had to show they had a reason to be paid attn to. this is the same setting/'class' of female pilots that Sam Carter was in. She had attitude as well, especially s1ep1

actually, Tony Stark is a much more over the top, pain in the ass, loud mouth character then Carol Danvers is

just IMO :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree some of the negative reaction to the film is negative reaction to Brie Larson and her toxic attitude and personality. Casting her was a terrible mistake as she is a charisma void in the role.

The main movie issue I would have is Captain Marvel is ridiculously OP. It robs the movie of all drama when nothing can actually defeat or even hurt the hero.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree some of the negative reaction to the film is negative reaction to Brie Larson and her toxic attitude and personality. Casting her was a terrible mistake as she is a charisma void in the role.

The main movie issue I would have is Captain Marvel is ridiculously OP. It robs the movie of all drama when nothing can actually defeat or even hurt the hero.

i had never even heard of this woman before. maybe a good thing per enjoying this movie