Can't leave out Mythbusters!

S

Stonelesscutter

Hahahahahah!
I just saw an ep of Mythbusters.
Don't know if it's old or new, it had the "Fish in a barrel" myth. The one that says it's easy to shoot a fish in a barrel.
After doing some tests with different settings which were more or less inconclusive, they ended the show with a bang.
In a remote area they had a car and a barrel.
Then like magic Jamie opens the roof of the car and up comes a gattling gun.
After firing about 50 rounds per second for almost half a minute, the myth was surprisingly "confirmed".
LOL! :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hahahahahah!
I just saw an ep of Mythbusters.
Don't know if it's old or new, it had the "Fish in a barrel" myth. The one that says it's easy to shoot a fish in a barrel.
After doing some tests with different settings which were more or less inconclusive, they ended the show with a bang.
In a remote area they had a car and a barrel.
Then like magic Jamie opens the roof of the car and up comes a gattling gun.
After firing about 50 rounds per second for almost half a minute, the myth was surprisingly "confirmed".
LOL! :D

Actually the myth was classed as confirmed because the conditions were so vague that their using a minigun could be called valid. That plays to their motto "If something is worth doing it's worth overdoing".

S

Stonelesscutter

Actually the myth was classed as confirmed because the conditions were so vague that their using a minigun could be called valid. That plays to their motto "If something is worth doing it's worth overdoing".

Personally I think the saying originates from shooting at a barrel full of dead fish which would clearly be very very easy to accomplish, so the myth was confirmed before they even tried.
But in this case the overdoing it was the best thing of the show. :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Personally I think the saying originates from shooting at a barrel full of dead fish which would clearly be very very easy to accomplish, so the myth was confirmed before they even tried.
But in this case the overdoing it was the best thing of the show. :D

Got a good rerun this week - using ping pong balls to raise a sunken boat. That is always a good one.

The first run episode was also cool with the various flat tire repairs.

G

Graybrew1

Got a good rerun this week - using ping pong balls to raise a sunken boat. That is always a good one.

I missed that, I will have to go and try to find it.

B

Backstep

I was surprised most of the variants worked, all but the log as a skid.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I just watched the one where they were investigating whether the quack of a duck really has an echo (turns out it does but the odd harmonics of the quack makes the echo sound exactly like the original sound). Both funny and interesting, especially as they also were trying to duplicate the historical escape from Alcatraz (turned out to be plausible).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I just watched the one where they were investigating whether the quack of a duck really has an echo (turns out it does but the odd harmonics of the quack makes the echo sound exactly like the original sound). Both funny and interesting, especially as they also were trying to duplicate the historical escape from Alcatraz (turned out to be plausible).

The Alcatraz escape is a really good theory to test out, I quite liked that one :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This week we got the chicken gun - always like that one!

Also the first run episode with paper armor was well thought out. It really is amazing that they have been able to do this and keep it fresh for eight years.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And today we got two of their more famous myth tests - the Salsa Prison Escape and blowing up the Cement Truck!

The salsa one is funny, as Adam spends weeks using AC current and salsa trying to eat through prison bars and having zero effect while Jamie knows you have to use DC current for electrolysis and burns through the bar in about 4 weeks. :laughing:

And the Cement Truck explosion is classic!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And today we got two of their more famous myth tests - the Salsa Prison Escape and blowing up the Cement Truck!

The salsa one is funny, as Adam spends weeks using AC current and salsa trying to eat through prison bars and having zero effect while Jamie knows you have to use DC current for electrolysis and burns through the bar in about 4 weeks. :laughing:

And the Cement Truck explosion is classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxm_qpKh7Jw

What cement truck, I don't see no stinking cement truck :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alas we're done with first run episodes for a little bit, but even the repeats are good. For example we even had one of the retest episodes yesterday. One of the ones they were asked to retest was the "chicken gun" myth which had to do with whether fresh or frozen chickens do more damage. Their original finding was inconclusive but additional testing showed frozen does far more damage (this arose from the historic situation of the US department of aviation getting strange results from using a chicken gun to test bird strikes on planes and the British telling them the problem was that they were using frozen birds).

S

Stonelesscutter

Alas we're done with first run episodes for a little bit, but even the repeats are good. For example we even had one of the retest episodes yesterday. One of the ones they were asked to retest was the "chicken gun" myth which had to do with whether fresh or frozen chickens do more damage. Their original finding was inconclusive but additional testing showed frozen does far more damage (this arose from the historic situation of the US department of aviation getting strange results from using a chicken gun to test bird strikes on planes and the British telling them the problem was that they were using frozen birds).

Lol! Seriously, who would ever find themselves in the situation where they have to fire frozen birds. It just doesn't make sense.
Everybody knows thawed birds are the way to go. :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lol! Seriously, who would ever find themselves in the situation where they have to fire frozen birds. It just doesn't make sense.
Everybody knows thawed birds are the way to go. :D

Of course. The silliest part is the US Aviation safety people using frozen birds in the first place. The myth said frozen birds are more damaging than fresh. Their original inconclusive result was that either way the bird impact shattered the airplane windshield. The retest was to determine exactly which one does more damage - which they tested with stacked panes of safety glass. No contest, fresh bird only cracked a couple of panes and frozen destroyed the whole stack.

S

Stonelesscutter

Of course. The silliest part is the US Aviation safety people using frozen birds in the first place. The myth said frozen birds are more damaging than fresh. Their original inconclusive result was that either way the bird impact shattered the airplane windshield. The retest was to determine exactly which one does more damage - which they tested with stacked panes of safety glass. No contest, fresh bird only cracked a couple of panes and frozen destroyed the whole stack.

So basically, if the US military wants to cut expenses they could opt for hurling frozen chickens at their enemies instead of bombshells that cost a fortune. :)