Bottlenecking High End Puters

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
:)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
image.jpg
So this is what windows has decided to do now . Windows no longer functions unless in safe mode and I cannot connect to the internet with it . This post is from my iphone and everthing still works if I boot in good ole Linux Mint .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
View attachment 30523 So this is what windows has decided to do now . Windows no longer functions unless in safe mode and I cannot connect to the internet with it . This post is from my iphone and everthing still works if I boot in good ole Linux Mint .

When did this start, and what happens when you try to go into normal Windows?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I used a program called malwarebytes.org . It did it's scan and found some crap . It removed the found malware then I rebooted but found I had no interenet and then a bunch of things just stopped working . Windows will function only in safe mode . I've done a restore to an earliar point and also did a Win 7 system repair . Looks like the program removed my network settings so I have to reset it all in safe mode . Too tired right now and am enjoying Linux Mint that works like a charm . I'll do some more tinkering tomorrow .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
When did this start, and what happens when you try to go into normal Windows?

It started yesturday after I installed and used https://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/ . In normal boot windose will not load correctly and eventually ask if it can go to sleep or something or just be anywhere else but on my desktop so it scoots away and leaves me without any icons or task bar . In safe mode I can access most what I need so tomorrow I will set up the internet connection from safe mode .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It started yesturday after I installed and used https://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/ . In normal boot windose will not load correctly and eventually ask if it can go to sleep or something or just be anywhere else but on my desktop so it scoots away and leaves me without any icons or task bar . In safe mode I can access most what I need so tomorrow I will set up the internet connection from safe mode .

Dude, please uninstall Malware Bytes. :facepalm:. All you need is Avast Free. Thats it...nothing else. Running more than one anti-virus program on a computer is ALWAYS bad news. Remove that, then update Avast (KEEP FREE, do NOT buy the paid version because it is a completely different product) and download and run ComboFix from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Before running ComboFix, right click the Avast icon and disable shields until computer restarted. When you run ComboFix, it will maybe ask to update. Let it. The process takes 50 steps and about 10-15 minutes depending on how much data is installed. At the end it will generate a large text file report. When that is done, close it and restart and you will be in the best operational state you can be in.

You have to ease up on your scanning/protection tools in Windows. No Malware Bytes, no second and third anti-spyware programs, no active performance scanners or sniffers. Run them only when using them. If you are only using Windows for gaming, you do not have to worry so much about infections and viruses because you are not retrieving your email or surfinf much on it. Avast Free is all you need.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Malwarebytes GIVES you viruses.

EXACTLY. What it says it "finds" is only an excuse to get you to restart your computer and install the viruses very deeply (at boot). ComboFix will kill that for him.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Just a note on combofix

Back your shit up first, because combofix is damn ruthless when it comes to finding and eliminating files that have viruses.
I remember the first time OM suggested combofix, and while I was all cool with it going nuts, I did not know that a lot of my wedding photo's and Mrs GF's unique work was on that computer, and it blew the electrical crap out of them.

It's not bad, but it is a digital bomb, so be very careful with it.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
True on all counts fellas but if you were using my computer you would be like me and constantly trying to get the dam thing to work correctly or even to a slightly acceptable functionality . I'm desperate here . I really did not care about this srcewup because it's a useless computer to me . The drop outs and stalling in windows is insanely slow . Move the mouse and wait 5 seconds for it to catch up . I could not watch a video or watch netflix without stalling . So I read up on this program and did the scans with it . From what I can see it did not give my puter any malware or viruses but it did remove some ethernet software . The etherent is were I am having my problems . It works fine in Linux but becomes a stalling pos in windows when online or connected to the internet .
Anyway , I will remove it this morning and do what you suggested . I have no love for windows so if I can never play a game on this puter ever again ,I won't feel hurt lol .

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-12-01 07:09:07.png
    Screenshot from 2014-12-01 07:09:07.png
    340.6 KB · Views: 118

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Dude, please uninstall Malware Bytes. :facepalm:. All you need is Avast Free. Thats it...nothing else. Running more than one anti-virus program on a computer is ALWAYS bad news. Remove that, then update Avast (KEEP FREE, do NOT buy the paid version because it is a completely different product) and download and run ComboFix from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Before running ComboFix, right click the Avast icon and disable shields until computer restarted. When you run ComboFix, it will maybe ask to update. Let it. The process takes 50 steps and about 10-15 minutes depending on how much data is installed. At the end it will generate a large text file report. When that is done, close it and restart and you will be in the best operational state you can be in.

You have to ease up on your scanning/protection tools in Windows. No Malware Bytes, no second and third anti-spyware programs, no active performance scanners or sniffers. Run them only when using them. If you are only using Windows for gaming, you do not have to worry so much about infections and viruses because you are not retrieving your email or surfinf much on it. Avast Free is all you need.

I have the fully paid version of avast and I cant do anything you say as I have no internet connection in windows weather insafe mode or not .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I was able to run Combofix by downloading the program with my sons computer . Not sure what it was supposed to do but I still am unable to reconnect to my home network router .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 187

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Am I the only one who has never run an antivirus on Windows and also never got a single virus?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Am I the only one who has never run an antivirus on Windows and also never got a single virus?

I hate to jinx myself but it's been years since I've gotten anything. And in fact I uninstalled MacAffee on this computer shortly after buying it (I consider MacAffee to be a virus to begin with). So far so good -- and hopefully it will stay that way. :encouragement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have the fully paid version of avast and I cant do anything you say as I have no internet connection in windows weather insafe mode or not .

Nooooo.....

The paid version is a rebranded AV program which was acquired by the Avast developers. The free product is BETTER than the paid one by far. You can still use Secure Line if you have it. The paid version is shit. :( I need to work online with you.

No. :)