Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think this is the sort of sequel to Shazam?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well this is a hit at the box-office and seemingly liked by fans.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Good. Then I look forward to watching it at some point in the comfort of my own home.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
While Black Adam did turn out to not be a big hit it is still a solid success and a good movie. It is also part of the runout of the old DC regime and even at that got a lot of late reshoots to fix it. With James Gunn now being the creative head of DC we will start seeing the DC based films and shows reflect his creative vision more and more (and unlike his predecessors he actually has one).

Shadow Mann

Staff member
While Black Adam did turn out to not be a big hit it is still a solid success and a good movie. It is also part of the runout of the old DC regime and even at that got a lot of late reshoots to fix it. With James Gunn now being the creative head of DC we will start seeing the DC based films and shows reflect his creative vision more and more (and unlike his predecessors he actually has one).
I'm very encouraged by the return of James Gunn. Disney really screwed up by not getting him back. I have not seen it yet, but Black Adam has done a solid box office gig even if it is not a billion-dollar entry. It will likely get a sequel.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Saw this movie the other day. Unfortunately it has too much DC stink on it. I was disappointed right from the start, with the poor narration. Plenty of aspects of the movie seemed quite derivative of Marvel stuff. Atom Smasher for example, what a dumb name, looked a LOT like Deadpool, and had the ability to become large like Ant-Man. The character was pretty lame too, but maybe that's just due to the writing or editing, or the acting. The Storm-alike character, I can't even remember her name, was also super lame. The character played by Pierce Brosnan seemed very similar to Doctor Strange. I don't understand why an old actor with a distinguished career like him would lend himself to a movie like this. As for Black Adam himself, well, I know he's supposed to be an anti-hero, but most of the time he wasn't very likeable. Dwayne Johnson basically showed the same stern face throughout the entire movie. Then there's the plot of the movie, which also wasn't very good. A "good" and an evil dimension, good being basically the world we live in, yawn. An evil human descendant of a long ago ruler wants to reclaim the family throne, fuck off. The evil guy transforms into a super powerful evil creature, basically satan, and the only thing that could have a chance of defeating him is the anti-hero who doesn't know how to use doors. Yeah, they used that joke a couple of times too many. Don't even get me started on Hawkman, the stubborn self-righteous prick who can't stand Black Adam being stronger than him and keeps attacking the guy over and over while trying to school him on ethics. For some reason, which remains unexplained (another mistake in this movie), he is strong enough to lift and throw around cars. After being finished watching the movie, the taste that the name of it and its main character left me, is that DC saw the success and acclaim received by Black Panther, and wanted to try to capture some of that success for themselves. "Hey, we have a character with Black in the name, let's use that." Of course, the people of whatever fictional place on earth this movie was set in, aren't black at all, but rather more Persian in their roots. But I suppose since Dwayne Johnson isn't black either, more like Polynesian, at least their skin tones somewhat match. Hey, at least Hawkman was black though, albeit an asshole. So, all in all, this was kind of a failure, as is typical for too many DC productions. What a shame!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It wasn't terrible, Ba'al you just don't care for the DCEU which is cool. It's basically a spinoff from Shazaam where this was the bad guy that got Shazaam powers.