Babylon 5 vs. Deep Space 9

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As The Battlestar Turns! LMAO!

Both NuBSG and B5 were quality work, although NuBSG declined badly in quality following Season 2 (I kinda prefer to think NuBSG ended after Season 2 and a different show "As The Battlestar Turns" took its place).

GREEN! I agree, after the first half of season 1, it (NBSG) was pretty soapy and became unwatchable for me starting with season 2 and thats when I stopped watching it. Ratings plummeted too, if I recall.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I felt it jumped off the cliff into soapworld at the start of Season 3. That is also where the depiction of the military got soapy and unrealistic (the S1 and mostly S2 depictions were pretty good - then they had navy officers who served on carriers for advisors).

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I felt it jumped off the cliff into soapworld at the start of Season 3. That is also where the depiction of the military got soapy and unrealistic (the S1 and mostly S2 depictions were pretty good - then they had navy officers who served on carriers for advisors).
Interesting. Did they really drop those advisers from the show at some point during the series?

Ægir

GateFans Noob
I loved B5! I would not start out with the pilot movie called "The Gathering" though. It's rather different than the rest of the series and can actually be somewhat of a stale opener. I recommend jumping right into season 1 and watch "The Gathering" in between S1 & 2 if you just have to. It does explain a few things that are relevant to S1, but I would say that it's much more suited to someone who's already a fan of B5 than to someone who's looking to get into it.

Chronologically the order is:
-In The Beginning (TV movie) - Highly recommended, historical framework for the show.
-The Gathering (TV movie) - Optional; somewhat referenced in S1, kind of bland.
-S1
-S2
-S3
-S4
-Thirdspace (TV movie) - Optional, but recommended; no real impact on the story, but a fun one off.
-S5
-The River of Souls (TV Movie) - Optional?; I know I watched it, but I couldn't tell you any specifics.
-A Call to Arms - Never watched
-Crusade - Never watched

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I loved B5! I would not start out with the pilot movie called "The Gathering" though. It's rather different than the rest of the series and can actually be somewhat of a stale opener. I recommend jumping right into season 1 and watch "The Gathering" in between S1 & 2 if you just have to. It does explain a few things that are relevant to S1, but I would say that it's much more suited to someone who's already a fan of B5 than to someone who's looking to get into it.

Chronologically the order is:
-In The Beginning (TV movie) - Highly recommended, historical framework for the show.
-The Gathering (TV movie) - Optional; somewhat referenced in S1, kind of bland.
-S1
-S2
-S3
-S4
-Thirdspace (TV movie) - Optional, but recommended; no real impact on the story, but a fun one off.
-S5
-The River of Souls (TV Movie) - Optional?; I know I watched it, but I couldn't tell you any specifics.
-A Call to Arms - Never watched
-Crusade - Never watched
Thanks, this helps a lot! :beckettu:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Thanks, this helps a lot! :beckettu:

I definitely wouldn't recommend that. You spoil so much watching In the Beginning first. I repeat DO NOT WATCH In the Beginning.

I'd suggest this one instead from gateworld (sorry).

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthre...o-watch-in&p=11513074&viewfull=1#post11513074

Watch season 1-3 in order then this:
<season 4>
406. Into the Fire
407. Epiphanies
408. The Illusion of Truth
409. Atonement
Movie: In the Beginning
Movie: Thirdspace
410. Racing Mars

<season 5>
519. The Wheel of Fire
520. Objects in Motion
521. Objects at Rest
Movie: River of Souls
Movie: Legend of the Rangers
Movie: A Call to Arms
Crusade series
Babylon 5: The Lost Tales
522. Sleeping in Light

Savatage

GateFans Member
I definitely wouldn't recommend that. You spoil so much watching In the Beginning first. I repeat DO NOT WATCH In the Beginning.

I'd suggest this one instead from gateworld (sorry).

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthre...o-watch-in&p=11513074&viewfull=1#post11513074

Watch season 1-3 in order then this:
<season 4>
406. Into the Fire
407. Epiphanies
408. The Illusion of Truth
409. Atonement
Movie: In the Beginning
Movie: Thirdspace
410. Racing Mars

<season 5>
519. The Wheel of Fire
520. Objects in Motion
521. Objects at Rest
Movie: River of Souls
Movie: Legend of the Rangers
Movie: A Call to Arms
Crusade series
Babylon 5: The Lost Tales
522. Sleeping in Light

Totally agree! In the Beginning has way too many spoilers to watch it early. Green to you Mzzz. That's the perfect order to watch the series.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Interesting. Did they really drop those advisers from the show at some point during the series?

To my understanding they were dropped after S2. Pity too, because they helped give both the mini and the first two seasons some reality in their military depictions.

Ægir

GateFans Noob
I've always watched In the Beginning first when I watch B5, so I've never really thought much about it. It certainly has never spoiled the show for me!