Babylon 5 Movies

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
I'm just wrapping up my first-ever viewing. Am finishing now with the movies followed by Sleeping in Light per what I remember of Overmind's advice on the B5 thread from the old website.

It's taken me a long time, but we had a tornado, a hailstorm, and the lower level of my house flooded. :icon_cry: Now the dust has literally settled, the renovations are finished and I can finish watching it on the plasma screen instead of my little laptop.

Did anyone else like River of Souls? I enjoyed seeing more screentime for Captain Lochley, but she seemed so poorly-utilized. They didn't do much character development with her at any point in the series, which always disappointed me. Admittedly, Ivanova was a hard act to follow, but in the first season they had Londo and G'kar so well-developed I was invested in them almost from the beginning. I expected to see something more in the movie- instead I spent the whole time watching Martin Sheen's character undergo a transformation! WTF? It was like watching Continuum (only more boring) because at the end we didn't find out anything more about the main characters than we already knew, despite the fact that years had gone by since the series. It added nothing to the overall story arc.

Moving on to The Legend of the Rangers- WOW! It was the spinoff of the older series with a younger and edgier vibe, what SGU was aiming for but never accomplished. In fact, I would not be surprised if there was some inspiration for Star Trek 2009 here. I sure got that feeling, anyway.

I understand it was a pilot, but was not developed into a series because of the ratings? Really, too bad. Although Sarah's antics with the weapons system was really cheesy (at that point my teenage daughter rolled her eyes and said "How can you STAND this?," and she generally likes scifi :P ) the remainder of the story was interesting.

I'm waiting for A Call to Arms, and In The Beginning from Netflix. :) If someone comments on those, please use spoilers, for the next couple of days anyway!

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Been a while

I have them on VHS. :P Been a long time. Weird seeing Martin Sheen in sci-fi. Gary Coleman was interesting too.

I remember that the sure had a hard time getting BB5 and Crusade produced. And I also seem to remember people didn't sit around bitching constantly what a shitty show it was like SGoo.

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
I have them on VHS. :P Been a long time. Weird seeing Martin Sheen in sci-fi. Gary Coleman was interesting too.

I remember that the sure had a hard time getting BB5 and Crusade produced. And I also seem to remember people didn't sit around bitching constantly what a shitty show it was like SGoo.

I still have a bunch of Disney videos on VHS. Lost the player in the flood, but I'm thinking I can get one for cheap at the pawn shop if the kids ever want to take a stroll down memory lane to watch The Lion King or Mulan. :P I think I'm going to buy the B5 series on DVD. I've followed it from the CW website to Netflix and I'm kind of afraid of where it might go next.

As for Martin Sheen, yes- that was pretty odd casting. However, the first movie I ever saw him in was The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, and he's creeped me out ever since.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Just saw BB5 in the grocery store here for 20 bucks a season. Not bad for a buck an episode. Might be time to move up to DVDs. :P

lady_maneth

Transmural feline
The quality of the movies is a bit uneven, but all of them are IMO certainly worth watching. Even River of Souls. :lol: That said, I think my fave is A Call to Arms. I liked The Legend of the Rangers just fine, except for the silly weapons system.