Awake (New NBC Series)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Watched the pilot tonight and really enjoyed it a lot.

It was fun seeing Jason Isaacs NOT playing a bad guy. Instead, he plays a man who was driving with his wife and son when they were all involved in a terrible accident.

After the accident, he cannot tell which reality is real.

The one where his wife died.

Or the one where his son died.

And he doesn't necessarily want to find out which is real and which isn't.

Otherwise, it's a police procedural with a fantasy element.

He sounds different with an American accent, let me tell you. ;)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
yeah saw the promo for this a while back and i must say a possible ending to this series feels quite predictable..
byut i donno i ay give it a whirl i dont expect ill like it much though.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I watched the pilot recently when it aired on TV and thought it was brilliant. The ending to the show is kind of irrelevant when the interest comes from seeing how this man will cope with living two lives, not wanting to give up either one.

The procedural element kind of works well here as it's the only 'normal' element throughout. The whole thing was rather compelling and I hope it continues in the same vein. I also hope it gets renewed as it's genuinely one of the best pilots Network TV has put out in a while.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I just watched the pilot and I liked it. The alternate psychologists were great and I like how the two realities bleed into each other.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I liked how one of the psychs (Cherry Jones) seemed to be more "accepting" of what he's saying than the other (BD Wong).

But that's what I've come to expect of any shrink BD might play. Damn that Law & Order background of his! (I still miss him in OZ -- hell, I miss OZ!)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Episode 2 continued the strong first impressions of this show. It's really sad that it's ratings aren't great as it's interesting in so many ways. Despite the fantastical premise it manages to present convincing relationships, more so than the majority of dedicated dramas out there.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The new bits that were added with this latest episode have really caught my attention.

Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

SciphonicStranger

Episode 2 continued the strong first impressions of this show. It's really sad that it's ratings aren't great as it's interesting in so many ways. Despite the fantastical premise it manages to present convincing relationships, more so than the majority of dedicated dramas out there.

I really like this show but it is probably a little too cerebral for the masses. The ratings are poor for a network show so it probably isn't going to make it. :(

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
The new bits that were added with this latest episode have really caught my attention.

Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

I watched episodes 1 & 2-- love that on demand! :) anywaaaaaaaay...LOVED the show. and the last bit at the end of the second ep...WTF??????? :eek: :eek:

I really like this show but it is probably a little too cerebral for the masses. The ratings are poor for a network show so it probably isn't going to make it. :(

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell the cancelltion bear about it...we do NOT want to feed the bear! :P

it is a very intelligent show and i adore Jason Isaacs in it! (miss the "paris hilton" wig from Harry potter movies though :P)

SciphonicStranger

I watched episodes 1 & 2-- love that on demand! ) anywaaaaaaaay...LOVED the show. and the last bit at the end of the second ep...WTF??????? :eek: :eek:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell the cancelltion bear about it...we do NOT want to feed the bear! :P

it is a very intelligent show and i adore Jason Isaacs in it! (miss the "paris hilton" wig from Harry potter movies though :P)

Maybe AMC could pick it up. They will need something to replace TWD. :D

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I find the police procedural part fascinating...solving the case in reality A from clues in reality B!!! very innovative idea! :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I find the police procedural part fascinating...solving the case in reality A from clues in reality B!!! very innovative idea! :)

I actually feared that part would get boring but it's genuinely clever. It's like they looked at every other police show out there and turned it on its head, letting Britten break all the rules.

I just caught up with episode 3, another brilliant hour of television. I'm going to be gutted if this show ends up getting cancelled. For reference the show got a 2.0, 1.6 and a 1.6 in the key demo so it's got a fighting chance.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Honestly I'm a bit intrigued by the premise of this show, however after having taken a look at the ratings I think I'm going to wait a bit before I give it a shot and see if the numbers improve/stabilize in the meanwhile. 'Cause I honestly don't really want to get invested in a show and then just have it cancelled on me after a few episodes. I already worry enough about Fringe as it is.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I actually feared that part would get boring but it's genuinely clever. It's like they looked at every other police show out there and turned it on its head, letting Britten break all the rules.

I just caught up with episode 3, another brilliant hour of television. I'm going to be gutted if this show ends up getting cancelled. For reference the show got a 2.0, 1.6 and a 1.6 in the key demo so it's got a fighting chance.

Yep I heartily concur with that! Mr rac and I watched it friday night (looooove on demand! :D) and were amazed at how great it was. we have a couple of working theories as to why he is living two different realities, and are enjoying the speculation.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Bloody hell, the latest episode dropped to
4.65 million viewers and a 1.2 (18/49) demo. I really wanted this show to survive but at this rate it wont :(.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
And Awake fell to an even lower low, with just a 1.0(18/49) in the demo. NBC really threw this one to the wolves, pushing it out with little advertising to replace a show that killed viewership in its timeslot. Not only that but three weeks into its run they stop showing The Office meaning viewership for the whole night sunk. The two demo ratings before were a 1.2 and a 1.3 and those being for comedies. There's not even an overlap.

Sigh....

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
why OH WHY do you keep blaming the advertising? it couldnt be that the show and concept is AWFUL and noone wants to watch it huh?

:facepalm:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
why OH WHY do you keep blaming the advertising? it couldnt be that the show and concept is AWFUL and noone wants to watch it huh?

:facepalm:

Because there are legitimate reasons to be annoyed i.e. the ones I mentioned. It was the best critically received new show this season yet NBC kept it until the fall, then held it back until The Firm failed and shoved it into that slot with one weeks notice.

It's not exactly a big secret that NBC is run by a bunch of morons though. Half of 30 Rock's comedy is based off that very view.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Because there are legitimate reasons to be annoyed i.e. the ones I mentioned. It was the best critically received new show this season yet NBC kept it until the fall, then held it back until The Firm failed and shoved it into that slot with one weeks notice.

It's not exactly a big secret that NBC is run by a bunch of morons though. Half of 30 Rock's comedy is based off that very view.

I think you're both half right...sorta...kinda. The concept is mildly interesting for a nanosecond but ultimately tedious and boring in the long run for a TV series. I wouldn't watch it simply because it would never give a satisfying explanation to this guy's issue of jumping worlds. Why invest the time getting involved in a show that, like LOST, will just be bizarre for the sake of being bizarre but won't ever give a satisfying pay off? I've got better things to do with my time.

Could the advertising and time slot help keep it alive? Sure, for a little while, but in the long run I don't think it would/will matter much.