Alphas Season 2

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, I'm the guy who started a thread last year called "The hot new SyFy show no one is going to watch", yet here I am watching it. :icon10: To be honest I thought Season 1 was quite good except for a few bad moments (Summer Glau in a horrendous wig is just one of those moments). I was surprised by the level of graphic violence and no holds barred style of the show. I had expected it to be a cartoonish, cheap version of Xmen-lite. It did turn out to be fairly good though.

As for Season 2, well, the first episode aired last night. They seem to be trying very hard to establish a main bad guy (which they started in Season 1) that will no doubt last the entire season or longer. As many people know one of my pet peeves is the development of bad guys who are never fully killed off (Borg ring any bells?). It's one thing if you're Arthur Conan Doyle writing Moriarty but it's just lame for every single show (and movie) nowadays to have bad guys that can't be defeated permanently. So I hope Alphas doesn't do that with this guy because to me it makes the viewing experience a waste.

As for last night's episode itself, it was okay, not great but okay. There were several members of the "team" that were nothing more than wallpaper. There was also a hint that they're going to focus a bit on some lame drama between two members of the team that were romantically hooked up but now aren't. You can imagine the yawn forming on my lips.

At any rate, I really hope they don't crap the bed in this season. The production values for a live action show on SyFy are pretty good and it is rather stylish. It would suck to see that wasted on a lame story arc. Fingers crossed!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I'm the guy who started a thread last year called "The hot new SyFy show no one is going to watch", yet here I am watching it. :icon10: To be honest I thought Season 1 was quite good except for a few bad moments (Summer Glau in a horrendous wig is just one of those moments). I was surprised by the level of graphic violence and no holds barred style of the show. I had expected it to be a cartoonish, cheap version of Xmen-lite. It did turn out to be fairly good though.

As for Season 2, well, the first episode aired last night. They seem to be trying very hard to establish a main bad guy (which they started in Season 1) that will no doubt last the entire season or longer. As many people know one of my pet peeves is the development of bad guys who are never fully killed off (Borg ring any bells?). It's one thing if you're Arthur Conan Doyle writing Moriarty but it's just lame for every single show (and movie) nowadays to have bad guys that can't be defeated permanently. So I hope Alphas doesn't do that with this guy because to me it makes the viewing experience a waste.

As for last night's episode itself, it was okay, not great but okay. There were several members of the "team" that were nothing more than wallpaper. There was also a hint that they're going to focus a bit on some lame drama between two members of the team that were romantically hooked up but now aren't. You can imagine the yawn forming on my lips.

At any rate, I really hope they don't crap the bed in this season. The production values for a live action show on SyFy are pretty good and it is rather stylish. It would suck to see that wasted on a lame story arc. Fingers crossed!

Knowing your discerning tastes, if you find this watchable, then I should put it on my list too. But I am starting to get curious about Sons of Anarchy. Alphas, huh? :confused0006:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
We lasted three eps last year...no interest this year-- watching the end of the Closer though! :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Knowing your discerning tastes, if you find this watchable, then I should put it on my list too. But I am starting to get curious about Sons of Anarchy. Alphas, huh? :confused0006:

:facepalm: Come on, bro! You're making it seem like you have to get off your ass, drive 40 miles out to the nearest video store and sign up for a membership to rent a VHS copy. Just hit play, already, will ya? :D

SciphonicStranger

New characters in tonight's episode. :smiley_joy:

I think this show may have turned the corner.

SciphonicStranger

Turning corners can lead to dead ends and dark alleys if you're not careful and don't have a GPS.

Indeed.

I still think this show is better than it was last year. Tonight's episode was pretty tight. It had minimal Gary Bell, some good background on Nina, and development of the two new characters. Throwing in the Yes song at the end was a nice touch.

G

Graybrew1

This was one of the best eps of this show I have seen yet.
I am liking Kat.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The September 24th episode (can't remember episode title) was okay.

This show is doing good although I have to admit that I'm getting very tired of the Stanton Parish story line. I hope to God he isn't one of those villains that can never be killed off. If they don't finish with him by the end of this season I will lose interest for sure. Other than that the show is holding steady with fairly good production values. (No bad wig for Summer Glau this season, whew!)

SciphonicStranger

The September 24th episode (can't remember episode title) was okay.

This show is doing good although I have to admit that I'm getting very tired of the Stanton Parish story line. I hope to God he isn't one of those villains that can never be killed off. If they don't finish with him by the end of this season I will lose interest for sure. Other than that the show is holding steady with fairly good production values. (No bad wig for Summer Glau this season, whew!)

It was good to see Kandyse McClure in a sci-fi show again. I thought she might get some more screen time in Sanctuary as she was Will's love interest in the pilot.

They've already established that Stanton is immortal so short of blowing his body to bits we're probably stuck with that storyline for a while. Or perhaps someone can decapitate him and get a Highlander quickening... :eagerness:

SciphonicStranger

Just saw the season finale and that was an odd cliffhanger. Now I need to watch season 3.... drat. :tongue:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Just saw the season finale and that was an odd cliffhanger. Now I need to watch season 3.... drat. :tongue:

*grumble grumble grumble* :fatigue:

I actually like this show but as I sort of predicted they wouldn't "finish the job", which is annoying. Too many loose ends left open. :tealc-gun02:

I will give this show props for their production values. They do an amazing job with such a large cast and with countless scenes. So far they haven't cheaped-out on the location shots. I'm sure that will change at some point in the future.

BTW -- read an interview with Summer Glau where she talked about the season finale of Alphas and how much she loved working on the show. She stated that she'd love to be part of the team, i.e. part of the regular cast of the show going forward. Funny thing was that with the way things were left in the finale last night just about any character could be killed off (except for Gary, go figure, lol!).

SciphonicStranger

*grumble grumble grumble* :fatigue:

I actually like this show but as I sort of predicted they wouldn't "finish the job", which is annoying. Too many loose ends left open. :tealc-gun02:

I will give this show props for their production values. They do an amazing job with such a large cast and with countless scenes. So far they haven't cheaped-out on the location shots. I'm sure that will change at some point in the future.

BTW -- read an interview with Summer Glau where she talked about the season finale of Alphas and how much she loved working on the show. She stated that she'd love to be part of the team, i.e. part of the regular cast of the show going forward. Funny thing was that with the way things were left in the finale last night just about any character could be killed off (except for Gary, go figure, lol!).

Maybe they will twist it into Gary being the only one dead. :saturn: