A simple solution to Stop those annoying windows 10 updates

heisenberg

Earl Grey
So I have thought of an ingenious solution to those annoying windows updates we get. You know how they keeping you to download them WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT, but there is no way to stop them? The solution?

Occupy your hard drive with clutter and fill it with junk. That way the stupid updates won't even have a chance of downloading them. It will bother you but that's better than this shit downloading this crap on your computer.

I know there is the linux alternative, but if you are gaming, and want a piece of mind.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I have thought of an ingenious solution to those annoying windows updates we get. You know how they keeping you to download them WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT, but there is no way to stop them? The solution?

Occupy your hard drive with clutter and fill it with junk. That way the stupid updates won't even have a chance of downloading them. It will bother you but that's better than this shit downloading this crap on your computer.

I know there is the linux alternative, but if you are gaming, and want a piece of mind.

Huh? Windows 10 will still force the updates, all you are doing is filling the Windows 10 update queue with requests, and it will eventually crash. What do you mean "fill the drive with clutter"? That is not a solution. Windows 10 updates cannot be turned off. But there is a way to stop them easily that is safe:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Click on Network and internet.
  3. In the panel on the left, choose Wi-Fi.
  4. Click on the name of your Wi-Fi network.
  5. Scroll down to Metered Connection.
  6. Slide the toggle into the On position.
Windows 10 will not force updates on a metered connection (it assumes you have mobile data limits from a provider). This works and is safe.

NOTE: New updates may give the computer the ability to detect and use any hard wired connection which is connected when the wireless connection is metered. Currently, it does not.

GO BACK TO WINDOWS 7! Or, run Windows as a VM within Linux. I don't use Windows 10.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Huh? Windows 10 will still force the updates, all you are doing is filling the Windows 10 update queue with requests, and it will eventually crash. What do you mean "fill the drive with clutter"? That is not a solution. Windows 10 updates cannot be turned off. But there is a way to stop them easily that is safe:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Click on Network and internet.
  3. In the panel on the left, choose Wi-Fi.
  4. Click on the name of your Wi-Fi network.
  5. Scroll down to Metered Connection.
  6. Slide the toggle into the On position.
Windows 10 will not force updates on a metered connection (it assumes you have mobile data limits from a provider). This works and is safe.

NOTE: New updates may give the computer the ability to detect and use any hard wired connection which is connected when the wireless connection is metered. Currently, it does not.

GO BACK TO WINDOWS 7! Or, run Windows as a VM within Linux. I don't use Windows 10.

Amending this....you can now set even hard wired connections to Metered Connection :) Follow the same steps above, and set your ethernet connection to "Metered Connection". Also, there are some third party apps which claim to be able to "stop" Windows Update in Windows 10, and this is just not possible. You can only trick Windows into not updating using this method or Group Policy which is too risky for novice users to fiddle with.