128GB iPad Announced

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I agree. He's shaken off that asshole image for which he was known and seems more pleasant.
I blame Melinda for that. She seems pretty down to earth. She's been on Colbert a couple times, and seems like she really is the "better" half.

She's probably got a cast iron frying pan she keeps close at hand for when Bill starts thinking he's special. <grin>

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I blame Melinda for that. She seems pretty down to earth. She's been on Colbert a couple times, and seems like she really is the "better" half.

She's probably got a cast iron frying pan she keeps close at hand for when Bill starts thinking he's special. <grin>

:icon_rotflmao::rotflmao:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Interestingly enough, Bill Gates is on The Colbert Report tonight (Wednesday night).

Very laid back and funny. He even smiled, laughed and looked comfortable.

Wow. Fun episode. (seriously)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Couple of things to remember.

One, that engadget report is not entirely accurate. Only a part of that reserved memory is the OS. There is also the reserved section on all solid state memory that the drive uses for things like wear leveling and TRIM. Plus the restore partition (which is actually well over half of it per user reports and can be removed with a simple user operation).

Two, a Surface Pro is running the Professional version of Windows 8 - as in full fledged Windows. It is not a reduced functionality mobile OS like iOS.

There is a basic problem in most of the tech media that makes them unreadable slop - they worship the ground Apple walks on. End result is their reporting is (and has been proven in the past) to be untrustworthy. They shill and praise Apple and diss anything not Apple.

For a real life example, we had business meetings all last week. I got to put my HTX 8X up against a coworkers iPhone 5. It wasn't even close - the 8X smoked the iPhone 5 in every way (usability, speed, durability, feel in the hand, everything). He went back to CA seriously thinking about putting the iPhone 5 on eBay and getting a 8X. And the 8X cost me a whopping $49.99 as opposed to the $199.99 the iPhone 5 cost him...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Exactly, Joelist.

These people want a full 128gb of storage space...so where does one put the operating system? They're idjits, as far as I'm concerned.

As for iPhone 5 issues like their mapping fiasco, if you're looking for a very good free turn by turn mapping app, I highly recommend Waze. It's available for Android and iOS (but not Windows phones as yet).

Bluce Ree

Couple of things to remember.

One, that engadget report is not entirely accurate. Only a part of that reserved memory is the OS. There is also the reserved section on all solid state memory that the drive uses for things like wear leveling and TRIM. Plus the restore partition (which is actually well over half of it per user reports and can be removed with a simple user operation).

Two, a Surface Pro is running the Professional version of Windows 8 - as in full fledged Windows. It is not a reduced functionality mobile OS like iOS.

There is a basic problem in most of the tech media that makes them unreadable slop - they worship the ground Apple walks on. End result is their reporting is (and has been proven in the past) to be untrustworthy. They shill and praise Apple and diss anything not Apple.

For a real life example, we had business meetings all last week. I got to put my HTX 8X up against a coworkers iPhone 5. It wasn't even close - the 8X smoked the iPhone 5 in every way (usability, speed, durability, feel in the hand, everything). He went back to CA seriously thinking about putting the iPhone 5 on eBay and getting a 8X. And the 8X cost me a whopping $49.99 as opposed to the $199.99 the iPhone 5 cost him...

The bolded is referred to as "stock over provisioning". It's usually not reported at the retail level. If you buy a 480 GB SSD that's over provisioned by 80 GB (20%), it's normally sold as a 400 GB drive. There are some exceptions, though, such as asinine marketing attempts by some hardware makers. There's no point in selling the 20% over provisioned space that is completely inaccessible to the end-user in any manner.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The bolded is referred to as "stock over provisioning". It's usually not reported at the retail level. If you buy a 480 GB SSD that's over provisioned by 80 GB (20%), it's normally sold as a 400 GB drive. There are some exceptions, though, such as asinine marketing attempts by some hardware makers. There's no point in selling the 20% over provisioned space that is completely inaccessible to the end-user in any manner.

That's the oddity Bluce. On SSDs it is reported. For example if you buy a 128GB SSD when you install it note that you don't have 128GB of available memory (IIRC most SSDs hold back about 10% of the drive depending on size for things like leveling, TRIM and caching). I know on mechanical HDDs you're correct - makes one wonder why they don't follow the same convention on SSDs - maybe it has to do with the memory size multiple on MMC chips (a 128 GB SSD is typically 8 16GB chips) and the marketing goofs think saying a SSD is a 112GB SSD sounds "uncool"?
--- merged: Jan 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM ---
Exactly, Joelist.

These people want a full 128gb of storage space...so where does one put the operating system? They're idjits, as far as I'm concerned.

As for iPhone 5 issues like their mapping fiasco, if you're looking for a very good free turn by turn mapping app, I highly recommend Waze. It's available for Android and iOS (but not Windows phones as yet).

Waze is indeed nice. My phone gets Nokia Drive and Maps free. That is nice as Nokia is considered a "best of breed" in the GPS arena (along with Garmins stuff). And unlike many others it works 100% offline if you want.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My current Windows 7 install on my laptop runs about 22gb (if I check properties in the Windows folder). So with that estimated 112gb drive size for the storage space (assuming a 10% offset for all those extra bits), that puts me right in that ballpark with the 128gb Surface Pro. I'll kill the recovery partition once I get my new toy and "recover" some storage space. :)

I can live with that.

Bluce Ree

That's the oddity Bluce. On SSDs it is reported. For example if you buy a 128GB SSD when you install it note that you don't have 128GB of available memory (IIRC most SSDs hold back about 10% of the drive depending on size for things like leveling, TRIM and caching). I know on mechanical HDDs you're correct - makes one wonder why they don't follow the same convention on SSDs - maybe it has to do with the memory size multiple on MMC chips (a 128 GB SSD is typically 8 16GB chips) and the marketing goofs think saying a SSD is a 112GB SSD sounds "uncool"?
--- merged: Jan 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM ---

Waze is indeed nice. My phone gets Nokia Drive and Maps free. That is nice as Nokia is considered a "best of breed" in the GPS arena (along with Garmins stuff). And unlike many others it works 100% offline if you want.

Mechanical HDDs are the worst offenders. They never deliver the advertised storage capacity, in my experience. This was true even on enterprise SAS drives I installed not too long ago.

SSDs, on the other hand, were almost dead on, at least on the enterprise level. The advertised capacity didn't include the over provisioning, which is typically 20% on enterprise class SSD. The only ones I got my hands on with no over provisioning were a set of Intel 520s, advertised as 480 GB and I got nearly all 480 off each drive.

Enterprise class stuff that's come though my hands was usually provisioned this way:

100 GB advertised (128 GB)
400 GB advertised (480 GB)

The lack of over provisioning doesn't lend itself well to the drive's lifespan. This isn't true with SLC SSDs, though, as the cells have much longer life spans (consumer MLC @ 3k to 5k write cycles vs enterprise MLC @ up to 30k cycles and SLC that can easily go over 100k cycles). A single cycle represents full writing to the entire drive space, so writing 400 GB to a 400 GB drive is one full cycle.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep.

And yes I meant to type MLC not MMC in my post.

Bluce Ree

Yep.

And yes I meant to type MLC not MMC in my post.

No worries, I knew what you meant. I'm still getting used to typing on glass with my Galaxy. I turn off autocorrect because I dislike it and some of my typos are pretty nasty. :D