Zachary Quinto to host "In Search Of" reboot

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/zachary-quinto-history-in-search-of-1202680918/

That's right, "new Spock" is going to host the reboot of In Search Of which "old Spock" originally hosted.

In Search Of.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/zachary-quinto-history-in-search-of-1202680918/

That's right, "new Spock" is going to host the reboot of In Search Of which "old Spock" originally hosted.

View attachment 34241

Deft psychological revisionism. :) Part of cementing the fandom in Star Trek was it's representation outside of Star Trek. But Leonard Nimoy was already a Twilight Zone and Outer Limits veteran (as was William Shatner and many other Star Trek extras and guest stars). When Leonard Nimoy took on In Search Of, he had already been deeply vetted in Scifi.

Quinto has nothing near what Nimoy had. Plus he is the Kelvin Spock, which none of the fans accept as being any sort of replacement. What are they gonna talk about? Nobody much believes in stuff like the Yeti, The Loch Ness Monster or UFO abductions or the Chupacabra. Wait, perhaps the NuTrek crowd might like him. They are already accepting mushroom drive and pizza cutter starships, so....

Deft psychological revisionism. :) Part of cementing the fandom in Star Trek was it's representation outside of Star Trek. But Leonard Nimoy was already a Twilight Zone and Outer Limits veteran (as was William Shatner and many other Star Trek extras and guest stars). When Leonard Nimoy took on In Search Of, he had already been deeply vetted in Scifi.

Quinto has nothing near what Nimoy had. Plus he is the Kelvin Spock, which none of the fans accept as being any sort of replacement. What are they gonna talk about? Nobody much believes in stuff like the Yeti, The Loch Ness Monster or UFO abductions or the Chupacabra. Wait, perhaps the NuTrek crowd might like him. They are already accepting mushroom drive and pizza cutter starships, so....

I don't mind Quinto but I honestly don't think this reboot will come close to capturing the essence of the original show. "Deft psychological revisionism" is a really good way to put it. They're obviously exploiting the Spock connection between the actors, but will it be worth it? It's 2018 and while In Search Of was cool for its time I don't think that the subject matter is all that titillating anymore. I guess we shall see how it plays out.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

View attachment 34241

bizarre use of re-doing things..what's next, a TJ HOOKER with Chris Pine?

----------------------------

and, it has been awhile since i watched it, but I recall TOS In SEARCH OF... , used both a expose type intro to the week's topic , the legend and myths about it and then at least a bit of science to debunk it or to show there may be reason to look at it more

this show will be nothing more then some kind of 'ghost hunters/pawn stars/TMZ "reality' hype combo