Wordpress...How do I install offline?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
So I am wanting to learn a new skill and one of them is learning more of wordpress. How do I install it offline on windows?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I am wanting to learn a new skill and one of them is learning more of wordpress. How do I install it offline on windows?

You need to do it online. You CAN install it offline, but it makes no sense. Set up a webserver offline (with a loopback), then install using the localhost using a browser. Better would be to buy a very cheap webhosting account ($4.00/mo?) then install it from the downloaded package at Wordpress. There are lots of features that you need to be connected to do.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You need to do it online. You CAN install it offline, but it makes no sense. Set up a webserver offline (with a loopback), then install using the localhost using a browser. Better would be to buy a very cheap webhosting account ($4.00/mo?) then install it from the downloaded package at Wordpress. There are lots of features that you need to be connected to do.

Well I want to try out woo commerce too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well I want to try out woo commerce too.

You need a webhost account. A basic one for testing is going to be incredibly cheap. Under $5.00/mo

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One step installer will put it all together for you.

https://www.microsoft.com/web/wordpress

But why would you want to learn Wordpress with so many other, more useful and much more functional platforms out there?

Wordpress is the standard still. Joomla comes second, then Drupal. The vast VAST majority of all blogs on the internet use Wordpress and there are so many awesome plugins and add-ons for it which are free and done live through the Admin interface. Admins for it are in demand. We used it for the front end of this site for a couple of years, but it's integration with Xenforo was unsatisfactory and nothing like we have now. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Why not just create a local host and use programs like usbwebserver instead?

You would want to get used to working with a hosted version.

Wordpress was originally designed as a blog development platform. All the web-centric stuff was an afterthought. It has a whack load of plugins but many, if not most, of the 37k+ are junk written by mediocre developers.

You should also take a look at this. A lot of websites are shifting to these platforms:

http://wix.com