Windows 8: Christmas gift for someone you hate

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just his opinion. I don't agree with him.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yes, but where is your back button? :P

I find that to be one of the biggest conveniences along with the home button. No matter where you are, you can back out exactly in the order you got there or just skip right back to the desktop.
--- merged: Dec 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM ---

From the article:

Confused about how the tablet apps work and want to Google for the answer? You go to a Web browser in the desktop interface and can’t see the tablet interface that you’re getting advice on how to use. Keep your old Windows 7 machine adjacent so that you can Google for “How to use Windows 8″ on the old computer and have the pages continuously visible.

:rotflmao::laughing:
--- merged: Dec 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM ---
Given the wide aspect ratio of the 27" monitor, I expected to read the PDF in one window while typing my thoughts about it in the browser. From Google Chrome, I opened the PDF document and was immediately zapped into the Metro interface's "Reader" app. My browser was gone. Although the screen is easily wide enough to display two pages simultaneously, the software elected to show just one page at a time, surrounded by massive black bars (see screen capture below). Instead of looking at a text entry box and the PDF simultaneously I would have to go back and forth between screens, trying to remember what was on each. I tried the same series of steps in Microsoft Internet Explorer and the result was the same.

pdf-displayed-by-metro-300x168.png

Now I understand why Jakob Nielsen calls this "Microsoft Window".

:laughing::rotflmao::crying-028::smiley-laughing024::rotflmao:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Dunno what either of them is talking about. I have a back button and when I read PDFs they do not act the way he is showing. As to Nielsen, his "critique" got dismantled online by a couple of different sources.

Sorry, but I am using the thing and having none of these issues. Zero.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dunno what either of them is talking about. I have a back button and when I read PDFs they do not act the way he is showing. As to Nielsen, his "critique" got dismantled online by a couple of different sources.

Sorry, but I am using the thing and having none of these issues. Zero.

You really love Windows 8! However you are in the minority and the actual numbers and real world status of Windows 8 is squarely in the FAIL category. This is not just an opinion, Joe! Its reality. It is not an opinion that Windows 8 is not being deployed or being considered for deployment in most businesses. It is not an opinion that new computers are not being loaded with Windows 8 when there is a choice for the buyer to make between W8 and W7. Upgrade figures are not matching even that of Vista from WinXP.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Seeing as Win 8 has only been out about 4 weeks any enterprise deployment numbers are VERY premature. Give it a couple of years and then take a look..

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seeing as Win 8 has only been out about 4 weeks any enterprise deployment numbers are VERY premature. Give it a couple of years and then take a look..

Okay, this I will do. I do like a few things about Windows 8 on the desktop (I love it on a tablet), but from an IT management standpoint it is a nightmare. I predict the addition of the Start button back into the OS as a "added feature", along with the ability to start the OS on a chosen screen (like the Desktop). The enterprise was courted for upgrades BEFORE the operating system was released, just as they did with Windows 7. But the adoption of Windows 7 was much quicker.