Why so much hate towards atlantis

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Emo-clone LOL :rotflmao: I knew there was something weird about him after the blast. And it wasn't his bloody accent.

Laurania

GateFans Noob
Emo-clone LOL :rotflmao: I knew there was something weird about him after the blast. And it wasn't his bloody accent.
Sad thing is, I'm not joking either! Rofl. He went from being quirky, snippy Beckett to BAWWW I'M JUST A CLONE AND YOU GUYS DON'T LOVE ME ANYMOREEEEE!

Un.ac.ceptable.

S

Stonelesscutter

Sad thing is, I'm not joking either! Rofl. He went from being quirky, snippy Beckett to BAWWW I'M JUST A CLONE AND YOU GUYS DON'T LOVE ME ANYMOREEEEE!

Un.ac.ceptable.

I think he was and still is snippy.
Snippy as in 'my balls got chopped off'.
He needs to get a beard in his throat. :)

Laurania

GateFans Noob
@ Atlantis

My whole point in all of that is that they either should have never killed Beckett off or, if they were going to, they should have just left him dead. My own personal views on the character of Beckett was that he did act as the comedy relief and as someone for McKay to play off of--something McKay did perfectly and it worked well.

The ONLY reason they brought him back was only because the fans demanded it, just as they did with Jackson from SG-1.. only they couldn't say that Carson 'descended' and that's where that sort of thrown-together plot of him being Michael's POW came into play. I honestly don't think they knew what to do with Beckett when he came back and that's why he played the role of reoccurring cameo that showed up every now and then to keep those of us that liked him appeased without really interfering with the character storyline (aka McKeller).

Aside from Todd, Beckett was one of my favorite characters and it broke my heart to see what they did with him in the later seasons. He went from a somebody to a nobody just like that.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
It's a problem with writing something you have no experience writing.

Atlantis was different from SG1 in the sense that it only had Earth undertones in the characters, not the settings or plots. SG1 could always fall back on Earth stories including character issues because hey, they have lives beyond their jobs.

Atlantis didn't have that, but still tried to have it. Look at Weir and Simon for an example. The issue is that they didn't really go anywhere with the idea of turning Atlantis into a real city instead of just a forward military outpost from the milky way.

Season 1 was really the best imo because we're still getting to know the characters by their actions, not by learning their past, and we formulate opinions on them based on who they are NOW, rather than what they've done in the past.

Look at Sheppard for example. We had no clue he came from money. It makes sense though since we know he's quite a bit more intelligent than the average joe.

That leads into another problem with the writers, not being consistent. Sheppard was actually damned smart in the first few episodes, but he quickly turned into a fratboy who couldn't commit. Let alone the brain nerfing they did to him.

SGA is a textbook example of reaching a larger common denominator, but not understanding WHY it appeals to them. Were SGA written better, as in more consistent and with a better arc and plot development, it would still be on today with W13 ratings.

I think SGA gets so much flak because it never reached anywhere close to its potential, and i guess in some ways some people thought it 'replaced' SG1. Every SGA fan i know wanted more than we got, and i'm not talking about number of seasons.

Shadowcat

GateFans Noob
And you could tell by MartyG's eyeroll-ey "OMG! Can you believe there are people protesting the death of a fictional character when there are wars going on" featurette on the DVD's that TPTB hated the fact they were more or less forced to bring Beckett back.

For me, the death of Beckett followed so quickly by the oh-so-stupid departure of Weir for Sam Carter (no offense meant, I have no problem with Carter: just don't feel she has any place on Atlantis) along with the arrival of Keller was when the quality of the series took a steep nose-dive. Instead of going all red-faced screaming "you're attacking our actors" (only in relation to Jewel Staite any time someone said they didn't care for the *character* Keller) they should have listened to what the fans were saying and shift the focus of the series accordingly.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Yeah there's something about these people that when they try to make changes they are less successful than a random coin toss. Bringing in Ronon was a big change that seemed to work out. Turning happy Ford in psycho-Ford didn't seem to do it.

The utter failure of SGU should then come as no surprise. They never cared what fans think and their own hubris did them in.

S

Stonelesscutter

Yeah there's something about these people that when they try to make changes they are less successful than a random coin toss. Bringing in Ronon was a big change that seemed to work out. Turning happy Ford in psycho-Ford didn't seem to do it.

The utter failure of SGU should then come as no surprise. They never cared what fans think and their own hubris did them in.

I agree on the Ford thing.
He was a good character at first, I enjoyed him, he was funny.
Then they turned him into an asshole.
He really was a lot better playing the good guy than the semi-good-guy.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Yeah, the Ford thing didn't work. There just wasn't enough reason to turn him into a mutated human/wraith psycho killer. I didn't feel any sympathy for the character and thought it was just heavy handed and dumb as writing goes. I did like, much later on in perhaps the last season (I don't remember the exact episode) where Sheppard is doubting himself and Ford is there (dream sequence?) for a split second. Basically Sheppard feels like he failed in doing his job and protecting his team. I thought that was a good moment because it brought some depth to Sheppard. Shame they couldn't have done that with Ford also, instead he just sort of petered out. (Did they ever kill off Ford??? I can't even remember what happened to him. Didn't he go off to kill the Wraith by jumping into a beam and getting on a Wraith ship? How did his story end?)

And yes, "hubris" is the perfect word to describe the actions of TPTB. They thought they were better than the fans, who actually made it possible for them to have jobs in the first place. Fucking idiots.

S

Stonelesscutter

Yeah, the Ford thing didn't work. There just wasn't enough reason to turn him into a mutated human/wraith psycho killer. I didn't feel any sympathy for the character and thought it was just heavy handed and dumb as writing goes. I did like, much later on in perhaps the last season (I don't remember the exact episode) where Sheppard is doubting himself and Ford is there (dream sequence?) for a split second. Basically Sheppard feels like he failed in doing his job and protecting his team. I thought that was a good moment because it brought some depth to Sheppard. Shame they couldn't have done that with Ford also, instead he just sort of petered out. (Did they ever kill off Ford??? I can't even remember what happened to him. Didn't he go off to kill the Wraith by jumping into a beam and getting on a Wraith ship? How did his story end?)

And yes, "hubris" is the perfect word to describe the actions of TPTB. They thought they were better than the fans, who actually made it possible for them to have jobs in the first place. Fucking idiots.

The last time Ford was seen was in the episode where Ford had kidnapped Sheppard's team and made them take 'the enzym'. They went aboard a wraith hive ship to to sabotage/destroy it. The team eventually managed to escape but they got separated from Ford on the hive and just after they left the hive exploded. So basically we didn't see Ford die but there wasn't really any way he could have gotten off the ship.
Or was there? ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh noes!!!

The last time Ford was seen was in the episode where Ford had kidnapped Sheppard's team and made them take 'the enzym'. They went aboard a wraith hive ship to to sabotage/destroy it. The team eventually managed to escape but they got separated from Ford on the hive and just after they left the hive exploded. So basically we didn't see Ford die but there wasn't really any way he could have gotten off the ship.
Or was there? ;)

emoticon-eating-popcorn-MH900437984.jpg

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I have seen quite a few SG1 fans who don't like SGA as much as the orig, but haven't seen all that much virulent hatred towards SGA. (That's saved for SGU,LOL)

SGA is my favorite series but even I had problems with some of the decisions they made during the show's run and had some heartfelt criticism at the time.

I liked SG1 alot, but didn't love it quite as much as SGA and stopped watching altogether in the last two seasons. (I tuned in to the last episode to see how it ended but was not very impressed.)

All the hate I have seen spewed towards sga has been from the sgpoo squeedrones. if you check the criticism threads at gw, you will find that the same squeedrones that LUUUURVE sgpoo are also dissing sg1 and sga. :P

Lilith

GateFans Noob
And you could tell by MartyG's eyeroll-ey "OMG! Can you believe there are people protesting the death of a fictional character when there are wars going on" featurette on the DVD's that TPTB hated the fact they were more or less forced to bring Beckett back.

For me, the death of Beckett followed so quickly by the oh-so-stupid departure of Weir for Sam Carter (no offense meant, I have no problem with Carter: just don't feel she has any place on Atlantis) along with the arrival of Keller was when the quality of the series took a steep nose-dive. Instead of going all red-faced screaming "you're attacking our actors" (only in relation to Jewel Staite any time someone said they didn't care for the *character* Keller) they should have listened to what the fans were saying and shift the focus of the series accordingly.

I agree though I didn't mind Carter. There was no reason to get rid of Weir or Carson. I like Jewel but she didn't have the strenght in her voice to even be the head of medicine nor the grace that came with age.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have to agree with that, for me SG-1 tips just a tad in favor over Atlantis, but thats just because it was an extension of the original movie and had RDA in it. But after season 6, it went to shit (IMO) I didnt like the addition of earth starships, Treknology.

Having the Treky technology isn't a bad thing...Mind you, a lot of the modern day inventions(such as the mobile phone) were all thanks to star trek!

I see borrowing ideas from other shows not a bad thing,but, when they did borrow it,they did make a pleasureable experience didn't they? ;). I personally, enjoyed the very ends of stargate tbh,it still had that excitment in the series.

stargate wasn't the first franchise to borrow star trek ideas,nor will be the last...and I personally don't see that I as a bad thing,as long as it's entertaining and still has that cool factor,it will get me all excited.
The Ori, OR the "defeat" of the Goa'uld. Why did the writers vanquish them? Having them defeated/under control was okay, but why ELIMINATE them as a threat? For me, the Goa'uld are the only real enemies in SG-1. After season 6, things got too Trekkie for me, and being a Trek fan more than a Stargate fan, it sorta put me off, but not enough to stop watching.
I do agree that the Gouald shouldn't have eliminated the threat of a goa'uld uprising.

However, the Ori story was a breath of fresh air for me. I reckon they were the next formidable nemisis for the stargate team and they ended that story quite prematurely :(.
I loved how they had the supergate(come on how awesome was that!). I am a trek fan like your self,been one for over 15 years. It took stargate to a new level.

But when Atlantis came out, I was all excited again, and the show was AWESOME. This time, the show was an extension of SG-1 and I loved it all the way through until about the last half of season 3 and then things started to go sour a bit. Even still, it never became unwatchable. There isnt a single episode in SG-1 or Atlantis that is as bad as Life or Earth in SGU.

Most SG-1 fans became Atlantis fans. A few did not, but the vast majority did. Proof of that is in the premiere ratings numbers for Atlantis and its first year. Personally, I loved them both almost equally.

I agree. Neither show ever delivered an episode I would consider "unwatchable". But SGU has several episodes falling into that category. :)
Every show has it's flaws, even SG-1 had flaws. When I get really deeply attached to the show I tend to forget these plotholes,and just enjoy the thrills.However, when I am not even interested in the show I can spot the problem blindfolded.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good points you make there...

Having the Treky technology isn't a bad thing...Mind you, a lot of the modern day inventions(such as the mobile phone) were all thanks to star trek!

I see borrowing ideas from other shows not a bad thing,but, when they did borrow it,they did make a pleasureable experience didn't they? ;). I personally, enjoyed the very ends of stargate tbh,it still had that excitment in the series.

Quite right. :) Its just that Trek was still running at the same time as SG-1 and Trek will always be my first true sci-fi series love. It goes all the way back to my childhood. But Stargate is a solid number 2! I dunno, even in Ark of Truth, this particular scene put me off a bit:

vlcsnap-2011-01-28-18h41m06s189.png

It was the scene when they beamed down to the planet. STRAIGHT OUT OF TREK! :facepalm:

stargate wasn't the first franchise to borrow star trek ideas,nor will be the last...and I personally don't see that I as a bad thing,as long as it's entertaining and still has that cool factor,it will get me all excited.

Yeah, perhaps. Think of it like this: If a new series came out called StarDoor, and it featured a square "gate" that created stable wormholes to other StarDoors across the galaxy, wouldnt you be a bit ruffled as a Stargate fan? :)

I do agree that the Gouald shouldn't have eliminated the threat of a goa'uld uprising.

However, the Ori story was a breath of fresh air for me. I reckon they were the next formidable nemisis for the stargate team and they ended that story quite prematurely :(.
I loved how they had the supergate(come on how awesome was that!). I am a trek fan like your self,been one for over 15 years. It took stargate to a new level.

Yeah, the supergate WAS very very cool! I loved the way they made it assemble and the sight of it engaging was massively awesome. :icon_cool:

Every show has it's flaws, even SG-1 had flaws. When I get really deeply attached to the show I tend to forget these plotholes,and just enjoy the thrills.However, when I am not even interested in the show I can spot the problem blindfolded.

LOL! Me too....my skin crawls. When I watch SGU, I suddenly feel dirty and need to take a long hot shower with a pumice stone. :icon_e_biggrin:

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I never quite understood why a lot of stargate fans hated SGA. Over the years, I have heard numerous comments from, Atlantis having crap characters to Atlantis being too different. On the Contrary,I have also heard that atlantis was too much like SG-1. To this day I still don't understand why people hated atlantis?

When Atlantis started airing I never got a chance to watch it, I waited until it came on dvd(i.e. the first season) I gave Atlantis a go,and to my surprise, I loved it from the very episode! As I continued to watch atlantis, It drew me closer and wanting more and more of stargate atlantis. Before I knew it, the assholes pulled the plug on the show(never ever forgiving TPTB for that EVER!). I loved it because it was very similar to SG-1, and it had a nice arc to it too.

Even today after watching atlantis 5 times,it is still equally as good as stargate sg-1.The cast was lovelable, the stories were great,there was a great script writing with the humour element of stargate and, it was enjoyable to watch. Infact the similarities between the two shows is quite remarkable. You could easily relate the two shows together, and it was correctly labelled as a spinoff series(unlike shitty SGUpoo) I never quite understood why people still to this day hate stargate atlantis so much.

I think it depends where you post. GW had a faction of people who were considered Anti. But the hatred was nothing like SGU. Maybe you had about a dozen people who expessed hatred toward SGA in the end, but the number was so small. Syfy.com forums was like 99% pro, when SGA aired. I loved those days, not too much friction, very busy forum, and people just excited and anticipating the next eps.

I think Atlantis was a great spinoff. I still put SG-1 first in my book, but SGA is a very close 2nd, with SGU being a very distant 3rd. Season 4 was my favorite, followed by Season 1, 3, 5 and Season 2 altough I still loved was my least favorite. They lost their direction, kinda in the 2nd half of Season 5, another dissapointment, which only irks me more since it was the final season.

I think Aragon said it best. SGA was great but it had so much more potential, that will never be seen anymore.