Well, now its flogging time for Windows Server 8/2012. The reactions are worse than for Windows 8.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Windows Server 8 (Windows Server 2012 Standard) is already being widely rejected because MS has forced the Metro UI on the server as well. For any IT administrator, the vast majority of work done on Windows Servers is done via RDP or other remote connection. Managing a 2012 Server is a NIGHTMARE. Whats more, is that Server Essentials 2012 only supports 25 CALS which forces anyone who wants to have more than that into Windows 2012 Server Standard. And NONE of the Server flavors allow disabling of the Metro UI.

Ballmer is wrecking Microsoft and I predict that he will be gone by the end of 2013. After Ballmer fired Sinofsky, the problems remain. There is so much wrong with Server 2012 :facepalm:. Driver signature enforcement by default, crappy backwards compatibility. OMG:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134246.aspx

You cant even easily install Remote Desktop on Server 2012 if the Domain Controller role is installed:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...S/thread/bbf47aa2-8ae5-4f22-9827-afee5a11417a

The issues I ran into while evaluating Server 2012 Standard were too numerous to list completely. But my thoughts seem to be echoed by other IT Administrators worldwide. I do like some of the new features like data deduplication and the fact that the Server Manager is able to be installed remotely on a different machine, and the cost is cheaper to implement. But the interface on the server is just too clunky.

I don't think anybody here cares about this, but I had to vent!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LINUX.

End of IT issues.

Compatibility with Windows apps and devices forces us to use Windows. :( Remember, I inherited our network and did not implement it.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I am too lazy to find the Windows 8 thread and know nothing Servers.

So I will throw in my two cents here. Even though I am loving how Windows 8 is just a 'blanket' covering Windows 7 and XP Pro, the download procedure is one heck of a jack-knive up the posterior. After buying 8 on a 64 bit lap top the installation was almost flawless if you borrow a disk from someone. Downloading is a distinctly different matter.

After which I had the temerity to try and update XP Pro / Premium Home by download. What a bunch of 'fluffin potatoes' trying to do that. You obviously can't download an ISO file directly onto a USB or DVD before they gain access to your computer and spend a day trying to prove that the Microsoft workers are geniuses and the rest are simplistic morons. Anyways as I said I am loving 64 bit Windows 8, but the downloading part of the process was probably created by someone with one of those 'dastardly bastagede' personalities that we all have learned to love. Simplicity use to be good, obviously not if you work for MicroSoft.
:bashtechie:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know, brother. You deserve a big hug.

BearHug.jpg

I needed that! The company I work for is always interested in the newest software, so I still have to evaluate it. But Server 2012 with that metro UI is just not gonna happen anytime soon. I am still impressed with how Win8 Pro runs on tablets. Whole different experience. But even on a touch enabled large screen monitor (23") it still is not as intuitive as it needs to be. I can see it on a touch screen HDTV, but then what good is a remote? :facepalm: Microsoft tried to please everyone and wound up disappointing everyone in the enterprise.
--- merged: Jan 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM ---
I am too lazy to find the Windows 8 thread and know nothing Servers.

So I will throw in my two cents here. Even though I am loving how Windows 8 is just a 'blanket' covering Windows 7 and XP Pro, the download procedure is one heck of a jack-knive up the posterior. After buying 8 on a 64 bit lap top the installation was almost flawless if you borrow a disk from someone. Downloading is a distinctly different matter.

After which I had the temerity to try and update XP Pro / Premium Home by download. What a bunch of 'fluffin potatoes' trying to do that. You obviously can't download an ISO file directly onto a USB or DVD before they gain access to your computer and spend a day trying to prove that the Microsoft workers are geniuses and the rest are simplistic morons. Anyways as I said I am loving 64 bit Windows 8, but the downloading part of the process was probably created by someone with one of those 'dastardly bastagede' personalities that we all have learned to love. Simplicity use to be good, obviously not if you work for MicroSoft.
:bashtechie:

So, what is it about Windows 8 that you love as a consumer?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I think it's not so much Microsoft trying to please everybody as it is wanting to dictate market trends in an effort to recapture the old days of being a monopoly. I can understand the idea behind wanting a single UI experience across all their platforms and the cost benefit of supporting and maintaining such a thing. IMO, though, it's arrogant to impose it and assume that maintaining enterprise servers with swipe screens would be widely accepted.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think it's not so much Microsoft trying to please everybody as it is wanting to dictate market trends in an effort to recapture the old days of being a monopoly. I can understand the idea behind wanting a single UI experience across all their platforms and the cost benefit of supporting and maintaining such a thing. IMO, though, it's arrogant to impose it and assume that maintaining enterprise servers with swipe screens would be widely accepted.

The PC industry is intimately tied to operating systems. Microsoft has basically created the PC market and the PC enterprise market single handedly. At one time you had Novell and IBM and even UNIX in the enterprise, but Microsoft pushed them all out. As a result, PC sales were driven by Microsoft in a very big way. They also continue to drive server sales, although many Windows shops now have Linux file servers at their core. Still, domain controllers are Windows based. Here is where the arrogance sets in, because they think that they can FORCE a paradigm shift from the standard form factors of a tower/blade with an attached monitor and mouse to a touch screen with an imprecise, inconvenient interface? Seriously? I can actually see a point in the future where the interface is a tablet and there is no physical need to access the server screen or attached peripherals. But that interface wont be what is happening in Windows 8 or Windows 2012 Server. One thing I really do like about the Metro implementation on Server is that the tiles contain useful tools and the tiles are configurable. There are no ad-laden tiles or stupid tiles for the Microsoft Store.

I think they have the right idea, but a bit too early.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I needed that! The company I work for is always interested in the newest software, so I still have to evaluate it. But Server 2012 with that metro UI is just not gonna happen anytime soon. I am still impressed with how Win8 Pro runs on tablets. Whole different experience. But even on a touch enabled large screen monitor (23") it still is not as intuitive as it needs to be. I can see it on a touch screen HDTV, but then what good is a remote? :facepalm: Microsoft tried to please everyone and wound up disappointing everyone in the enterprise.
--- merged: Jan 22, 2013 6:31 PM ---

So, what is it about Windows 8 that you love as a consumer?

It just feels cleaner in action and maybe a little smoother in operation compared to my favourite XP Pro.

I am not big on the terms as I am jumping from XP Pro, by-passing Vista, by-passing Windows 7 and heading on down the road and checking out Windows 8. There is no touch screen attached to my computer so using the mouse is the hi-light of my day. I am still big on using the keyboard combinations, so lifting up my arm to throw several building blocks across the screen doesn't give me a cheap thrill. After using a laptop during Christmas I will stick to my homemade tower for the foreseeable future.

What's not to like being able to re-size and deactivate all those obtrusive building blocks that Micro has ordained should be free and unencumbered on their version of the desktop. My mouse pointer gets in the way quite a bit when I stray to close to the walls of my monitor. I am not that crazy about delving into the innards of what looks to be Window dressing #7 style. It took me a good two days to get through to the bottom 2/3rds of the operating system where I found that the placing of some of the operating files were not to my liking and of course being new to Windows 7, some of the file names started to become muddled in this small brain of mind.

I guess I should say that once you rearrange all those coloured squares and add in all those indispensible programs in the centre of the screen or maybe in some far off corner there is a chance that you do not need to leave the front page if all you do is listen to music or entertain yourself when you go on FaceBook.

That might change when I slowly shift the Windows 8 computer to more of a business desktop. Utilizing that extra 1GB of ram I received when I modified my BIOS.

I think that my little rant is long enough.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It just feels cleaner in action and maybe a little smoother in operation compared to my favourite XP Pro.

I am not big on the terms as I am jumping from XP Pro, by-passing Vista, by-passing Windows 7 and heading on down the road and checking out Windows 8. There is no touch screen attached to my computer so using the mouse is the hi-light of my day. I am still big on using the keyboard combinations, so lifting up my arm to throw several building blocks across the screen doesn't give me a cheap thrill. After using a laptop during Christmas I will stick to my homemade tower for the foreseeable future.

What's not to like being able to re-size and deactivate all those obtrusive building blocks that Micro has ordained should be free and unencumbered on their version of the desktop. My mouse pointer gets in the way quite a bit when I stray to close to the walls of my monitor. I am not that crazy about delving into the innards of what looks to be Window dressing #7 style. It took me a good two days to get through to the bottom 2/3rds of the operating system where I found that the placing of some of the operating files were not to my liking and of course being new to Windows 7, some of the file names started to become muddled in this small brain of mind.

I guess I should say that once you rearrange all those coloured squares and add in all those indispensible programs in the centre of the screen or maybe in some far off corner there is a chance that you do not need to leave the front page if all you do is listen to music or entertain yourself when you go on FaceBook.

That might change when I slowly shift the Windows 8 computer to more of a business desktop. Utilizing that extra 1GB of ram I received when I modified my BIOS.

I think that my little rant is long enough.

Bolded...I like that part of this OS. I have dumped the stupid tiles I dont need and only kept the ones I want. The great thing about them is that they can be tiles for apps that run in desktop mode and they will take you there automatically and open the app from the Start screen. :) I also like the fact that they can be different sizes. I dont like the animated tiles AT ALL. the movement is annoying, like the Netflix tile that keeps scrolling my "recommended" videos. The Microsoft Store is a joke, and the vendors they have in there are exactly the folks I want nothing to do with. A bunch of finance sharks, stock brokerages, real estate crap, the usual hard sell type of companies. But your installed programs will be in tiles too, and you can add them from the Apps list. :) You can also add Administrative tools.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Bolded...I like that part of this OS. I have dumped the stupid tiles I dont need and only kept the ones I want. The great thing about them is that they can be tiles for apps that run in desktop mode and they will take you there automatically and open the app from the Start screen. :) I also like the fact that they can be different sizes. I dont like the animated tiles AT ALL. the movement is annoying, like the Netflix tile that keeps scrolling my "recommended" videos. The Microsoft Store is a joke, and the vendors they have in there are exactly the folks I want nothing to do with. A bunch of finance sharks, stock brokerages, real estate crap, the usual hard sell type of companies. But your installed programs will be in tiles too, and you can add them from the Apps list. :) You can also add Administrative tools.

Three months on, me still "likey" Windows 8 Pro - 64 bit version that is. Like I say Windows 8 is just a giant quilt covering Windows 7. So far the major irritant of this grand experiment is when I stray too close to the walls and my family charms pop-up.

I got the impression that the Micro Store was a place to avoid like the noro-virus, but who knows. Maybe it is just my suspicious personality coming to the for when MicroSoft is selling or giving it away for free.

With the added 1 gigabyte of of available ram now in use my web viewing is pretty good. Even before I added an obsolete video card to my set-up I was watching Blood and Chrome on an older plasma screen TV without any hick-ups. That goes for any inter-net based TV so I don't have to go hunch-back over my modest monitor, as I can comfortably lay down and enjoy what the world has to offer.

Windows 8 - 32 bit version is another story.:very_drunk:

Bluce Ree

http://www.windowsbleu.com/2013/02/windows-8-is-doa.html

And then you have a few hundred million enterprise and government users performing tasks like CAD/CAM design, accounting spreadsheets and auto title registration on their PCs. Did Microsoft REALLY believe these millions were going to lean over their desks thousands of times a day to inaccurately poke smudges on their vertical "touch-screen" monitors instead of just click, click, clicking their mouses 100 times faster and with 1/1000 the effort as screen-poking? What on earth was Microsoft thinking?

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I did something I never thought I would do...I actually purchased a new copy of Windows 8 Pro :facepalm:. Actually, I am not hating Windows 8 as much anymore because I am mastering what it is about. In the back end, I notice that all of the Windows folders have been cleaned up. But with that has come a clunky interface and Metro. Yes, the Stardock programs Start8 and Decor8 have made it much more useful and fun for me, but I have to keep in mind that Windows 8 does not come with it. At $5.00 a pop, ity could be relatively expensive to include it with every deployment of computers in our enterprise. I even have it set up for people to play with. But without a touchscreen and a basic knowledge of gestures, it cannot be just worked with by knowing Windows and sitting in front of it with a keyboard and a mouse.

Windows 8 Pro costs $199.00. With it, you can join a domain...host and create Remote Desktop sessions, enforce Active Directory security policies and most of what the other MS "Pro" versions do. My touchscreen computer has Windows 8 Standard (no suffix) 64-bit. It is missing Remote Desktop, the ability to join a domain, and many other things which would required to deploy it in the enterprise.

So far, Im still lukewarm about it and I do not think it is going to work in it's current form. Add back the start button and it's menu, and allow booting directly to the desktop, and that would remove most of the resistance. Windows 8 is FAST. It boots fast, and it opens programs fast...even on older equipment. It is faster than Windows 7 in that regard. It is easier on the network and on the CPU because it requires less memory and less CPU processing.

Not loving it yet, but no longer hating it. :)

Bluce Ree

Okay, I did something I never thought I would do...I actually purchased a new copy of Windows 8 Pro :facepalm:. Actually, I am not hating Windows 8 as much anymore because I am mastering what it is about. In the back end, I notice that all of the Windows folders have been cleaned up. But with that has come a clunky interface and Metro. Yes, the Stardock programs Start8 and Decor8 have made it much more useful and fun for me, but I have to keep in mind that Windows 8 does not come with it. At $5.00 a pop, ity could be relatively expensive to include it with every deployment of computers in our enterprise. I even have it set up for people to play with. But without a touchscreen and a basic knowledge of gestures, it cannot be just worked with by knowing Windows and sitting in front of it with a keyboard and a mouse.

Windows 8 Pro costs $199.00. With it, you can join a domain...host and create Remote Desktop sessions, enforce Active Directory security policies and most of what the other MS "Pro" versions do. My touchscreen computer has Windows 8 Standard (no suffix) 64-bit. It is missing Remote Desktop, the ability to join a domain, and many other things which would required to deploy it in the enterprise.

So far, Im still lukewarm about it and I do not think it is going to work in it's current form. Add back the start button and it's menu, and allow booting directly to the desktop, and that would remove most of the resistance. Windows 8 is FAST. It boots fast, and it opens programs fast...even on older equipment. It is faster than Windows 7 in that regard. It is easier on the network and on the CPU because it requires less memory and less CPU processing.

Not loving it yet, but no longer hating it. :)

My Windows 7 ultrabook with SSD boots to the desktop in 3 seconds. Coming back from sleep is instant on. Programs also launch at the blink of an eye but all this is due to the SSD.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My Windows 7 ultrabook with SSD boots to the desktop in 3 seconds. Coming back from sleep is instant on. Programs also launch at the blink of an eye but all this is due to the SSD.

Yep, I have moved several of our Dell laptops to SSD and now only are those speeds you mention common, but rendering video also is blazingly fast. :) An SSD can be 100 times faster than a standard SATA hard drive.