Well, Batman Has Been Chosen For the "Man of Steel" Sequel...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Didn't he play the villain in the new TOTAL RECALL as well? Wonder if he has been type cast?

I don't think he's been type cast yet. To me he will always be Malcolm's dad.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Didn't he play the villain in the new TOTAL RECALL as well? Wonder if he has been type cast?

Typecast as a bad-ass is ok. I was pleasantly surprised to see how he broke completely away from his "Malcolm in the Middle" character. That would have been a nasty typecast, IMO.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/warner-bros-pushes-batman-vs-superman-back-10-011059924.html

Warner Bros. Pushes ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Back 10 Months to ‘Fully Realize Vision’

July 17, 2015 was the date fans of the Batman movies deserved, but not the one that Warner Bros. needs right now.

The studio has pushed back the release of its untitled “Batman vs. Superman” film to May 6, 2016 — a delay of nearly 10 months — to “allow the filmmakers time to realize fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story,” the studio told TheWrap on Friday.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/warner-bros-pushes-batman-vs-superman-back-10-011059924.html

Warner Bros. Pushes ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Back 10 Months to ‘Fully Realize Vision’

July 17, 2015 was the date fans of the Batman movies deserved, but not the one that Warner Bros. needs right now.

The studio has pushed back the release of its untitled “Batman vs. Superman” film to May 6, 2016 — a delay of nearly 10 months — to “allow the filmmakers time to realize fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story,” the studio told TheWrap on Friday.

Gal Gadot was cast as Wonder Woman who is going to be in this film as well. http://www.thewrap.com/fast-furious-actress-gal-gadot-cast-wonder-woman-batman-vs-superman/

Why name this Man of Steel if Batman and Wonder Woman are going to be in it? And seriously...Batman vs Superman? I mean...is that even a fair fight? :) The original Man of Steel was okay, but it was still sorta meh for a reboot for Superman. This one might be fun to watch at least once.

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I wish they would keep each mythos separate. Batman is about a man who became a vigilante through harsh training. The other is fairy magic. Why mix the two worlds? And how can anything possibly fight superwank? He's indestructible with infinite strength and flight while the other guy is ... well, a guy. Wtf?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

B

Backstep

I wish they would keep each mythos separate. Batman is about a man who became a vigilante through harsh training. The other is fairy magic. Why mix the two worlds? And how can anything possibly fight superwank? He's indestructible with infinite strength and flight while the other guy is ... well, a guy. Wtf?

Kryptonic bat gas?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Man have any of you actually watched any of the cartoons or read some of the comics? Batman and Superman's friendship is one of the best things in superhero comics. They're such bros. Superman does the strength stuff and puts on a good public image and builds that trust. Batman does the nitty gritty investigations and is willing to fight dirty. He gathers information on the big schemes. They complement each other so well. They might have differing philosophies but both are fighting the good fight and respect each other for it. They're best friends.

Batman vs. Superman is not the movie title, it's just some comment Goyer said and the internet blew it up to be the title. And Batman doesn't have to fight Superman physically. Everyone always assumes it's going to be some physical fight. Batman just has to make Superman bleed a little, metaphorically. He can fight him psychologically, show him how reckless he was when he was fighting in Smallville and Metropolis. Or show him how far he'd go to save Lois over others. But in the end, all he's trying to do is get Superman to be Superman. Everyone likes to forget what happened in Man of Steel was his first day on the job, he just got his suit. Superman might have a weakness to Kryptonite or whatever they are going to do in the movie verse, but he is also human (as in raised with human values). And as such has weaknesses of humans. And Batman is not above using that.

DC is trying to build a shared universe with their heroes; they're not gonna separate them. I much prefer them doing the shared universe, a Justice League presents more interesting villains down the line. I hate how Marvel doesn't have team ups or even show that they are a shared universe. All their solo movies, all the other heroes seem to be magically absent which really annoys me; but eh, it's working for them I guess. I prefer the DC approach. If a Batman existed in the shared universe they're going for, he's not just going to idly sit by and do nothing after the events in MoS. He's not going to ignore the huge event that just happened in that universe. He's supposedly a veteran in this outing, already has been Batman for a while. And Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is supposed to be a cameo. I like that they are aware of each other's existence and acknowledge that. I think I'll like Affleck as Batman given his recent movies, he's got the brooding down as well as some of the legwork of a detective. Playing Batman's isn't about requiring acting level of actors in plays or something. It has to do more with the content and some decent level of acting which I think he has displayed in his recent movies (The Town, Argo, and some others). AND I think Affleck brings more to the table than just as an actor. He's also a director/writer/other stuff. So he wouldn't have signed on if he wasn't going to be allowed input in those aspects. In fact, he brought on one of the writers from Argo to touch up on the script. And I definitely wanna see what kind of things he'll bring to the table if he does a Batman movie.

Also, he injured his leg and so they had to stop filming until he heals. So that's one of the reasons for the delay as well as all the other actors' scheduling. It's not just fully realize their vision. And I'd rather have a well planned outing for the next movie rather than a rushed job.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
687lt.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Man have any of you actually watched any of the cartoons or read some of the comics?
LOL, I wonder that myself sometimes :P
Try looking for "Batman, the brave and the bold" on your interwebs lads.
Batman and Superman's friendship is one of the best things in superhero comics. They're such bros. Superman does the strength stuff and puts on a good public image and builds that trust. Batman does the nitty gritty investigations and is willing to fight dirty. He gathers information on the big schemes. They complement each other so well. They might have differing philosophies but both are fighting the good fight and respect each other for it. They're best friends.
Yup, they even know eachothers secret Identities!!

Batman vs. Superman is not the movie title, it's just some comment Goyer said and the internet blew it up to be the title. And Batman doesn't have to fight Superman physically. Everyone always assumes it's going to be some physical fight. Batman just has to make Superman bleed a little, metaphorically. He can fight him psychologically, show him how reckless he was when he was fighting in Smallville and Metropolis. Or show him how far he'd go to save Lois over others. But in the end, all he's trying to do is get Superman to be Superman. Everyone likes to forget what happened in Man of Steel was his first day on the job, he just got his suit. Superman might have a weakness to Kryptonite or whatever they are going to do in the movie verse, but he is also human (as in raised with human values). And as such has weaknesses of humans. And Batman is not above using that.
Indeed Batman is MORE than capable of being a prick in the series (B.a.t.B, to EVERY hero to get his point across.

DC is trying to build a shared universe with their heroes; they're not gonna separate them. I much prefer them doing the shared universe, a Justice League presents more interesting villains down the line. I hate how Marvel doesn't have team ups or even show that they are a shared universe.
cough
AVENGERS
cough couch.
:lol:
All their solo movies, all the other heroes seem to be magically absent which really annoys me; but eh, it's working for them I guess.
I don't agree with "magically absent", they usually have good reasons for not being around in the movies, but in the Avengers cartoon, they are all togeather. Lets face it, it's a cost issue, but at least it makes sorta sense.

I prefer the DC approach. If a Batman existed in the shared universe they're going for, he's not just going to idly sit by and do nothing after the events in MoS. He's not going to ignore the huge event that just happened in that universe.
This will be the first DC movie I know of that has multiple "mains", Also DC hero's tend to stay "in city", for the most part (Metropolis, Gotham, Star city) and only cross over for JLA/JS etc stories. They don't really get involved in "turf tugging matches" with eachother.

He's supposedly a veteran in this outing, already has been Batman for a while. And Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is supposed to be a cameo. I like that they are aware of each other's existence and acknowledge that. I think I'll like Affleck as Batman given his recent movies, he's got the brooding down as well as some of the legwork of a detective. Playing Batman's isn't about requiring acting level of actors in plays or something. It has to do more with the content and some decent level of acting which I think he has displayed in his recent movies (The Town, Argo, and some others). AND I think Affleck brings more to the table than just as an actor. He's also a director/writer/other stuff. So he wouldn't have signed on if he wasn't going to be allowed input in those aspects. In fact, he brought on one of the writers from Argo to touch up on the script. And I definitely wanna see what kind of things he'll bring to the table if he does a Batman movie.
My concern with the current trend of DC movies is that they choose actors who can play the "hero" quite well, but fall down playing the "alter ego" part. I have not seen a believable CK on the big screen since Chris Reeve, and not a decent BW since Michael Keaton. If all it is, is the hero's, that's not a problem, otherwise?? Yeah, don't like it personally. CK and BW are not "disposable masks", they are essential to the character, just like PP is essential to a good Spidey movie.

Last edited:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
LOL, I wonder that myself sometimes :P
Try looking for "Batman, the brave and the bold" on your interwebs lads.

Yup, they even know eachothers secret Identities!!

Indeed Batman is MORE than capable of being a prick in the series (B.a.t.B, to EVERY hero to get his point across.

cough
AVENGERS
cough couch.
:lol:

I don't agree with "magically absent", they usually have good reasons for not being around in the movies, but in the Avengers cartoon, they are all togeather. Lets face it, it's a cost issue, but at least it makes sorta sense.

This will be the first DC movie I know of that has multiple "mains", Also DC hero's tend to stay "in city", for the most part (Metropolis, Gotham, Star city) and only cross over for JLA/JS etc stories. They don't really get involved in "turf tugging matches" with eachother.

My concern with the current trend of DC movies is that they choose actors who can play the "hero" quite well, but fall down playing the "alter ego" part. I have not seen a believable CK on the big screen since Chris Reeve, and not a decent BW since Michael Keaton. If all it is, is the hero's, that's not a problem, otherwise?? Yeah, don't like it personally. CK and BW are not "disposable masks", they are essential to the character, just like PP is essential to a good Spidey movie.

Avengers was one team-up movie, I was more talking about after that in phase 2. Shield doesn't even respond when the whole Thor thing happens. Iron Man 3 was just a travesty all around. Captain America 2 though seems to be integrating Shield and other stuff.

Whaaaaaa? Keaton wasn't a good Bruce Wayne. He didn't do much of anything characteristic of Bruce Wayne, the playboy and other stuff. Bale was a good Bruce Wayne, putting on that playboy persona but really hating it and philanthropy here and there. No one's really been a good Batman though, especially the detective and tech parts among other things that Batman does. I honestly think Affleck will play a good Batman and a good Wayne, but we'll see. From what I've read online, they're leaning towards the traditionally known comic/DCAU version of Batman.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
He was a great BW, Bruce and Batman were entirely different persona's wheras Bale just growled at people trying to be cool. Batman was just too close to the surface in the new movies, but he was a far better batman than MK, no doubt.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
He was a great BW, Bruce and Batman were entirely different persona's wheras Bale just growled at people trying to be cool. Batman was just too close to the surface in the new movies, but he was a far better batman than MK, no doubt.

I half-agree (there's no button for that). MK was damn good as both BW and Batman. Bale isn't worthy of washing Keaton's balls in the gym shower though. In fact, the more I see of CB the less I like him. He's very one note and his angry personality informs his roles. The more I think about it the more I believe that CB peaked in Empire of the Sun; a role he did as a child.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I half-agree (there's no button for that). MK was damn good as both BW and Batman. Bale isn't worthy of washing Keaton's balls in the gym shower though. In fact, the more I see of CB the less I like him. He's very one note and his angry personality informs his roles. The more I think about it the more I believe that CB peaked in Empire of the Sun; a role he did as a child.

Remember here dude, I am only liking Bale as "the bat", and there are incarnations of batman (Azrael) that bale suits quite well, but I feel MK never made a really believable "dark night detective"
So many elements of batman have been exaggerated in one version or another, the detective, the combat beast and so on. Bale falls down on needing Lucius Fox to be his tech guy, whereas most other versions all the tech idea's came out of Batman's head. he did not get someone else to design, or adapt the batmobile, batman did it.

Characters like batman are so multi-layered that it becomes hard to pick just one man to do the job, because so often the one "strong suit" of the hero is made out to be the *only* one.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh I know you're talking about Bale strictly as "the bat". After seeing that last turd that he was in though I just have no love for the guy at all, period. His "acting" as "the bat" was terribly wooden. Batman does have his own personality but when portrayed by Bale I feel there's just nothing there. He doesn't even give off a menacing vibe as "the bat". He just appears to be a goof ball in a costume.

With Keaton though you could discern the change from one personality to the other when he donned the bat suit. Even his voice got deeper and huskier. Not so with Bale playing the role. He is just BW in a costume sans any change in personality.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually Christian Bale was really good in Equilibrium, which predated his stint as Batman.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Oh I know you're talking about Bale strictly as "the bat". After seeing that last turd that he was in though I just have no love for the guy at all, period. His "acting" as "the bat" was terribly wooden. Batman does have his own personality but when portrayed by Bale I feel there's just nothing there. He doesn't even give off a menacing vibe as "the bat". He just appears to be a goof ball in a costume.
You gotta separate the actor from the role though dude. Mel Gibson, cock, But Mad Max, Riggs, and William Wallace, great characters.
I sorta disagree with him being "non threatening" as batman, everything with the bat in fighting was built to be fairly brutal and viciously effective, and he pulled that off well in that version. Is he to the level of say Frank Castle (the punisher) in Punisher- Warzone? Hell no, that dude was just scary mean.

With Keaton though you could discern the change from one personality to the other when he donned the bat suit. Even his voice got deeper and huskier. Not so with Bale playing the role. He is just BW in a costume sans any change in personality.
YES, that is why I think he (MK) played the best "total package" of any big screen batman. His voice changes, he stance changes, and even his eyes go from a "nice guy", to a semi psycho. He is really playing the 2 different roles well, same way Chris Reeve changed from Kal-El to Clark Kent.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I totally agree. I did not like the mixing of Thor and Iron Man, and I dont like the idea of Batman and Superman being together either. I mean, does Superman really need the assistance of some rich eccentric with PTSD who wears a bat suit? Superman and Thor...strange, but better. Spiderman and Batman? Sure. And yeah, I know they have come together in the comic books.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, DC and Marvel will just kiss and hug and cross characters :lol:

Look, In both DC and Marvel, neither Thor, nor Superman are the "leaders" of their respective groups, It's Cap, or Batman because those two represent the best of humanity, whereas Supes is just an alien with human values imposed on him, and Thor is, even mythologically, the defender of Midguard, they are the "super big guns" and ALOT of their storylines revolve around incorporating such massive power into a human perspective, They don't teach the "human struggle" so much as they wrestle with their own ability to use their power in a "human" way, to use such massive power, not for themselves, but for ALL.