Man of Steel - a.k.a Eat the Glock!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now that I have been seeing some of these films either online (STID) or at a cheap cinema with friends (this one), I am very glad I have not been spending money on this crud.

Man of Steel is the "reimagining" of Superman by Zack Snyder and Chris Nolan - at least that is what the credits say. It feels more like it was done by some dark psychopath like Charles Manson. The subtitle above is what watching this could make people who might be feeling a little down and going to a movie to, you know, see something fun to lift their spirits do.

Really, whatever happened to the idea of a movie being FUN? How about ENTERTAINING? Lately Hollywood has been in love with the whole nonsensical "dark and brooding" concept and this utterly joyless film is probably a culminating point of that trend.

The train wreck starts with the incredibly poor way the Superman character is handled. Has the character historically been simpleminded? You bet! But at least he stood for a set of heroic values and you could count on Superman to appear to save people and to act so as to prevent harm to people. As such he was a classic hero archetype people could actually identify with and root for.

Not THIS Superman....this version wallows in angst then when he finally goes into action he is at least partly responsible for the destruction of both Smallville and Metropolis. Millions die and he does little if anything to stop it or save them - instead we get him punching Zod in the face while screaming obscenities and later killing him with a Steven Seagal-esque neck snapping maneuver. And all the time we are told over and over that he has a destiny....to lead us "into the Sun". Given the dark mood and borderline psycho character given Jor-El here it wouldn't be shocking if they had him just decide to use his powers to push the Earth into the Sun - thus "leading us there".

Add to this the utterly shallow characters, illogical script and as Bluce ably noted in an earlier thread the way over the top destruction and this film is to me the worst movie of the year. I called Star trek Into Darkness a cinematic abomination so if this is worse what does that make it? Not sure I want to know....

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I smell a nomination for an award here. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alas there's no "blushing" smiley...

Really I think you could torture people with this film. Tie them to a chair with electric jolts if they close their eyes and show them this film, say. The threat of repeat viewing should result in them telling you any secret you want to know.