Watching this for the first time...

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
So after finishing my BSG rewatch and having nothing better to do, I decided to give Falling Skies a shot. I'm up to episode 5 of season 1, and I just gotta ask, what the hell is it with Spielberg and his weird obsession with having cutesy cutesy kids in every single thing he makes??? :facepalm: This could actually be a good show if it wasn't for all the lah-de-dah family friendly 'aww...' stuff shoved into it! So I'm just going to come right out and ask it: Does the show improve enough so it's worth it for me to continue, or should I just give up now?

G

Graybrew1

So after finishing my BSG rewatch and having nothing better to do, I decided to give Falling Skies a shot. I'm up to episode 5 of season 1, and I just gotta ask, what the hell is it with Spielberg and his weird obsession with having cutesy cutesy kids in every single thing he makes??? :facepalm: This could actually be a good show if it wasn't for all the lah-de-dah family friendly 'aww...' stuff shoved into it! So I'm just going to come right out and ask it: Does the show improve enough so it's worth it for me to continue, or should I just give up now?

I completely agree. Once they get past through that and the dumbass baby showers and birthday parties the show does get much better. Not the creme de la creme of shows mind you, but much better.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I completely agree. Once they get past through that and the dumbass baby showers and birthday parties the show does get much better. Not the creme de la creme of shows mind you, but much better.

Well I'm only looking for something watchable and mildly entertaining. I don't have any illusions about suddenly stumbling over a new sci fi show which I'll get completely hooked on, because show's like that are pretty damn rare.

So I guess I'll continue with this then, at least for a few more episodes to see if it improves.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Well I'm only looking for something watchable and mildly entertaining. I don't have any illusions about suddenly stumbling over a new sci fi show which I'll get completely hooked on, because show's like that are pretty damn rare.

So I guess I'll continue with this then, at least for a few more episodes to see if it improves.

Check out these shows:

- Strike Force (Cinemax original series)
- The Newsroom (HBO original series)
- Sons of Anarchy - once you get past the first 3 eps, it becomes as addictive as crack
- Burn Notice (USA Network) - this show is entertaining but may not be your cup of tea, though it becomes DAMNED GOOD in season 6
- Suits (USA Network) - I just started this one but it's more of a corporate life drama

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I just got done with the first season, and while there was a minor uptick in quality during the last few episodes, I still find the whole thing to be pretty 'meh'. Also, I still despise every single kid on the show. I'm gonna shelve it for now while a move on to give Being Human (UK) a shot, which is another show I've completely missed out on.

- Strike Force (Cinemax original series)

I'm assuming you're referring to Strike Back, which is the only show on Cinemax with a similar name. It sounds kind of interesting, judging from what I've read, so I'll add it to my list of shows to watch.

- The Newsroom (HBO original series)

Already watching, and greatly enjoying it.

- Sons of Anarchy - once you get past the first 3 eps, it becomes as addictive as crack

I've watched a few episodes here and there, and I do plan on watching it all at some point, but right now I'm more in the mood for some sci-fi/fantasy type stuff.

- Burn Notice (USA Network) - this show is entertaining but may not be your cup of tea, though it becomes DAMNED GOOD in season 6

I've heard good things about it, and judging from the snippets I've seen, it does look pretty good. I'll definitely check it out at some point.

- Suits (USA Network) - I just started this one but it's more of a corporate life drama

Doesn't really seem like my kind of show at first glance, but since you're recommending it, I'll at least give the first episode shot.

Bluce Ree

I just got done with the first season, and while there was a minor uptick in quality during the last few episodes, I still find the whole thing to be pretty 'meh'. Also, I still despise every single kid on the show. I'm gonna shelve it for now while a move on to give Being Human (UK) a shot, which is another show I've completely missed out on.

I'm assuming you're referring to Strike Back, which is the only show on Cinemax with a similar name. It sounds kind of interesting, judging from what I've read, so I'll add it to my list of shows to watch.

Ugh! Yeah, Strike Back. :D

I just watched all of S1 and the first two eps of S2. I find it to be a really good British action series.

Already watching, and greatly enjoying it.

I've watched a few episodes here and there, and I do plan on watching it all at some point, but right now I'm more in the mood for some sci-fi/fantasy type stuff.

I've heard good things about it, and judging from the snippets I've seen, it does look pretty good. I'll definitely check it out at some point.

Doesn't really seem like my kind of show at first glance, but since you're recommending it, I'll at least give the first episode shot.

Meh, to be honest, I just started watching Suits in the middle of the current season. It's not a huge attraction to me but I find some aspects of corporate life backstabbing and conniving to climb the corporate ladder somewhat entertaining. If it's not something you'd find entertaining you're better off skipping it. :D

I only started watching it because there's nothing else on and it follows Burn Notice on Thursdays.

I wish there was some good Sci-Fi on. I tried watching Falling Skies but it's just too wishy-washy. It falls in really well with TNT's typical drama style shows. I watched the latest episode today, because there was nothing else on, and I found myself doing :facepalm: through most of it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

The UK version of Being Human is pretty great. It gets kind of wonky in the third season admittedly but still definitely worth a watch I say. I don't know if they're going to make more of that show as the cast completely changes by the end, but they aren't bad changes by any means. What's great about the show is that there are moments of humor that punctuate it throughout most every episode. It's kind of reminiscent of Buffy in that way.

At any rate, Russel Tovey who plays "George" on BH is great! He's does the role really well. Laura Chritchlow (sp?) who plays "Annie" does a banging job too. I can't recommend the show highly enough so I hope you end up liking it. Oh -- and make sure you watch the full episodes, not the truncated versions. Over here in America they would sometimes run the shortened versions to fit into our hourly schedule. You won't miss the gist of those episodes but you'll miss some important nuances that take place between characters.

As for Falling Skies, yeah, the first season sucks pretty bad for numerous reasons. It's not SGU bad, but it's still bad. Season 2 (which ends tonight) really did have some changes and improvements made. You'll notice right away that the pace has changed and a lot of the slow "luv fest" drama scenes are gone. There are still plenty of Tom-hugs-his-kids moments though. They didn't get rid of those. Still though, as much as I disliked the show (and still do to a fair degree) I have to be honest and objective about it. Season 2 is different than season 1. There are still flaws but it's not as lame as season 1.

G

Graybrew1

I watch BH on BBC. I love the vampire on this one so much more than the US version. Swoon. LOL.
I am not happy with were they took the show, but it was well worth the ride regardless.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I wish there was some good Sci-Fi on. I tried watching Falling Skies but it's just too wishy-washy. It falls in really well with TNT's typical drama style shows. I watched the latest episode today, because there was nothing else on, and I found myself doing :facepalm: through most of it.

Same here, right now I'd say that Fringe is the only good sci fi show on, and with that show ending this fall, things are looking pretty damn bleak for televised sci-fi in the future.

The UK version of Being Human is pretty great. It gets kind of wonky in the third season admittedly but still definitely worth a watch I say. I don't know if they're going to make more of that show as the cast completely changes by the end, but they aren't bad changes by any means. What's great about the show is that there are moments of humor that punctuate it throughout most every episode. It's kind of reminiscent of Buffy in that way.

At any rate, Russel Tovey who plays "George" on BH is great! He's does the role really well. Laura Chritchlow (sp?) who plays "Annie" does a banging job too. I can't recommend the show highly enough so I hope you end up liking it. Oh -- and make sure you watch the full episodes, not the truncated versions. Over here in America they would sometimes run the shortened versions to fit into our hourly schedule. You won't miss the gist of those episodes but you'll miss some important nuances that take place between characters.

As for Falling Skies, yeah, the first season sucks pretty bad for numerous reasons. It's not SGU bad, but it's still bad. Season 2 (which ends tonight) really did have some changes and improvements made. You'll notice right away that the pace has changed and a lot of the slow "luv fest" drama scenes are gone. There are still plenty of Tom-hugs-his-kids moments though. They didn't get rid of those. Still though, as much as I disliked the show (and still do to a fair degree) I have to be honest and objective about it. Season 2 is different than season 1. There are still flaws but it's not as lame as season 1.

I've just watched through the first three episodes, and I'm hooked! :beckett_new049:
I like all three characters, with Annie and George really clicking with me the most. I was already aware about Russel Tovey from his roles on Doctor Who and Sherlock, so it's nice to get to see him in regular series since he's a pretty fine actor. And I do enjoy the humoristic qualities the show has, which does remind me a bit of Buffy, like you said. Oh, and I "aquired" the full-length HD quality episodes, so I'm getting the whole thing.

I might get around to giving Falling Skies another shot, just to see if the improvements are enough for me, but that's probably only going to happen if I get bored enough.

Bluce Ree

Just started the season finale. Ape must be ecstatic that the episode started with a great big family hug.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was an okay season finale. The rebel skitters put themselves on the line to save the 2nd Mass and we have a new player in the game. Some action and it was reasonably fast paced.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Jumped back and forth between FS and True Blood -- both of which are much less than they could be. At any rate, I was able to see enough of FS to easily figure out what was happening. I will give FS props for keeping the momentum going and actually finalizing certain story lines. Now if they ditch all the hugging scenes in Season 3 the show will really be rockin'.