Torchwood

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I see they're about to start filming Torchwood in downtown Los Angeles.

I just got a message that indicates it will be filming out here on January 14th.

So all you Torchwood fans should be happy to hear about that. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I see they're about to start filming Torchwood in downtown Los Angeles.

I just got a message that indicates it will be filming out here on January 14th.

So all you Torchwood fans should be happy to hear about that. ;)

Please tell me this isn't yet ANOTHER bad American "remake" of a good British show? They ruined "Life on Mars" and now they're ruining "Being Human" by trying to Americanize them. If this is the Russel Davies real deal then I'll be happy, otherwise I'll be pissed. They need to stop with the imitation bullshit and keep it real.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Please tell me this isn't yet ANOTHER bad American "remake" of a good British show? They ruined "Life on Mars" and now they're ruining "Being Human" by trying to Americanize them. If this is the Russel Davies real deal then I'll be happy, otherwise I'll be pissed. They need to stop with the imitation bullshit and keep it real.
I have no clue.

I've signed up to receive notices of filming for the area in which I live. Mainly so I'll know where to avoid driving on a given day. (They film a LOT in downtown Los Angeles).

Tropicana

Council Member
Nah it's a joint BBC and Starz production, but strictly a British script, so a British show. John Barrowman and Eve Myles are starring as normal.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Nah it's a joint BBC and Starz production, but strictly a British script, so a British show.

Good to know. At least it will probably be worth watching.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Mate I've heard that an American production company are going to be butchering the Inbetweeners!!! :icon_e_surprised:

The only show the Americans have made a better version of than the original UK equivalent (or so I've been told) is The Office............ but as the UK version was crap & not even remotely funny, it's not a difficult thing to do.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Mate I've heard that an American production company are going to be butchering the Inbetweeners!!! :icon_e_surprised:

The only show the Americans have made a better version of than the original UK equivalent (or so I've been told) is The Office............ but as the UK version was crap & not even remotely funny, it's not a difficult thing to do.

I've noticed a ton of American remakes of current British shows. Just saw an ad on MTV for and Americanized version of "Skins". This shit is getting out of hand. There's nothing wrong with the British versions of these shows and they even play here on BBCAmerica. Why they have to be redone is beyond me.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
The new cable show "Shameless" is based on an English series...

It's opening night ratings were apparently fairly shiny for a pay cable program.

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to WHY this was necessary? Please, someone tell me what is wrong with the CURRENT series? And why is the SciFi channel running around screaming that it's a SciFi ORIGINAL series?

I'll say this for us Americans: we got a LOT of balls thinking we do everything better. Hopefully, this will pull a "Coupling" and tank.

The new cable show "Shameless" is based on an English series...

It's opening night ratings were apparently fairly shiny for a pay cable program.

Another gem. It was a while ago, but I think I read someone that a US release of season 2 was being held off because they didn't want people to invest anymore into the UK series.

Gotta get me one of those region free players!

Tropicana

Council Member
Regarding Skins (U.S Version), I can't believe that they replaced a pivotal gay character "Maxxie Oliver" (per the original British version) with a lesbian called "Tea Marvelli".

Uh why?? Both sides of the Atlantic that saw the original UK version noted how sexy "Maxxie Oliver" (Mitch Hewer) was when he did scenes like when he wakes up naked or does subtle things like putting his boxer-briefs on or sliding them off that highlights his entire fit physique... to replace it with a lesbian is just wrong IMO, lol.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to WHY this was necessary? Please, someone tell me what is wrong with the CURRENT series? And why is the SciFi channel running around screaming that it's a SciFi ORIGINAL series?

I'll say this for us Americans: we got a LOT of balls thinking we do everything better. Hopefully, this will pull a "Coupling" and tank.

It's beyond stupid. I mean, it's not like the BBC versions of these shows are done in a foreign language. It's really not that hard to understand the characters and their motivations. American "culture" isn't that different that we need to dumb down every fuckin' thing under the sun. "Being Human" was done very well and it's an insult to have to redo it, I mean, it's not like 20 years old or anything. And if they redo "The Inbetweeners" I'll probably kick in my TV.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Regarding Skins (U.S Version), I can't believe that they replaced a pivotal gay character "Maxxie Oliver" (per the original British version) with a lesbian called "Tea Marvelli".

Uh why?? Both sides of the Atlantic that saw the original UK version noted how sexy "Maxxie Oliver" (Mitch Hewer) was when he did scenes like when he wakes up naked or does subtle things like putting his boxer-briefs on or sliding them off that highlights his entire fit physique... to replace it with a lesbian is just wrong IMO, lol.

I'm sure whoever made the change thought they were being clever especially since hot, young, thin "lipstick lesbians" are all the rage right now. God forbid they actually portray how the average lesbian looks or acts. Typical straight male fantasy bullshit is what it is.

S

Stonelesscutter

Another gem. It was a while ago, but I think I read someone that a US release of season 2 was being held off because they didn't want people to invest anymore into the UK series.

Regardless of being region-free, aren't you going to run in to NTSC/PAL-problems?
Perhaps downloading would be a better option.

S

Stonelesscutter

Well if the lesbian girl does the same things you just described just as well as the gay guy then as far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with it. Probably even an improvement. :D

S

Stonelesscutter

I'm sure whoever made the change thought they were being clever especially since hot, young, thin "lipstick lesbians" are all the rage right now. God forbid they actually portray how the average lesbian looks or acts. Typical straight male fantasy bullshit is what it is.

You're probably right. Still.
Please let me keep my fantasy. :icon_razz:

Tropicana

Council Member
In the original Skins, we had a storyline where this crazy girl called "Sketch" would stalk Maxxie Oliver and even though she knows he is gay, she would try to get him to be with her. "Psychologically obsessed" seems to be the way it was described, lol. As she will physically do what she can just to be close to Maxxie. (I get that, as I had a stalker when I was teenager).

In UK version: "Sketch" breaks into Maxxie's house and sleeps under his bed while he was sleeping, just to be close to him.

If the U.S version were to have a similar storyline, then more than likely, we will see some loner-boy that is heavily infatuated with this Tea -girl for some reason, lose control and worst case scenario, the boy may actually try to rape the "Tea" character. "Sketch" is a crazy girl but would not have the urge to rape Maxxie, whereas I find American boys can be a bit impulsive sometimes, they don't do 'no'. ;)

IMO, placing a lesbian character is just a cop out, it does nothing to highlight LGBT issues, but it certainly will give straight boys material to jack off to I suppose, lol.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

I just watched Shameless tonight. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

As for BBC stuff...

When I was at ComicCon last year, I spoke to a very nice young lady from BBCAmerica about the SyFy version of Being Human. She was disgusted and not impressed, and NOT happy that the BBC gave rights to SyFy to make it.

I'm a Being Human fan, and will NOT watch the American version. No fucking way.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I just watched Shameless tonight. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

As for BBC stuff...

When I was at ComicCon last year, I spoke to a very nice young lady from BBCAmerica about the SyFy version of Being Human. She was disgusted and not impressed, and NOT happy that the BBC gave rights to SyFy to make it.

I'm a Being Human fan, and will NOT watch the American version. No fucking way.

Me either -- and I'm American! There was literally NO reason to remake "Being Human" for the American market. It didn't need to be "fixed" or "improved" or "Americanized". I will NOT watch.