the "MOUSE" has "the APES". Disney to max out PLANET OF THE APES

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I put planet of the apes into google on a lark, and look what came up-released last month at D23 I guess
more movies and pretty sure they'll make shows for disney+ as well

"It isn't quite clear just yet whether Disney will be rebooting the franchise or giving War for the Planet of the Apes a sequel, but either way, Disney will no doubt try to duplicate the success that 20th Century Fox saw with the Planet of the Apes series."

from : https://screenrant.com/planet-apes-movies-future-disney/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I hope not. War for the Planet of the Apes was not up to the standards of the first two.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hope not. War for the Planet of the Apes was not up to the standards of the first two.

Disney does not know how to do these shows. And they hire the wrong writers.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
haven't seen it yet. is that the one with Woody Harrelson?

Yup the one with Woody. Dawn was the best one of the set and Rise was also good. War felt contrived.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just wait for it...

the star wars, xmen, orville, planet of the apes and x-files massive crossover movie series!!!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
just wait for it...

the star wars, xmen, orville, planet of the apes and x-files massive crossover movie series!!!!

They don't own The Orville. :) Set could easily take his ball and play elsewhere.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I put planet of the apes into google on a lark, and look what came up-released last month at D23 I guess

"It isn't quite clear just yet whether Disney will be rebooting the franchise or giving War for the Planet of the Apes a sequel, but either way, Disney will no doubt try to duplicate the success that 20th Century Fox saw with the Planet of the Apes series."

If Disney allows the original writers to finish telling the story, it could be a good thing. It would mean that NO social commentary from present day can infect it. We are already past the point in the story where social commentary from today would be relevant. There is no place where virtue signaling or gender representation would add to any part of the story for any reason. It would mean that they might have to just bankroll it and not try and "handle" it by Disney committee. We no longer have to worry about them ruining Caesar. They could go forward without restriction.

Things NOT to do:

• Reboot it. It is awesome as it is as a reboot. No need to reboot it.
  • Give it to the Director du Jour (Abrams, Rian (Roundhead) Johnson, Benioff, Cameron, etc}. We need whomever has been directing the films so far, and the writers of the first film.
  • Center it around a human family with a teen. No human families at all. Only ape families if they have to show any family.
  • Take it too far forward in the interest of showing apes chasing humans in the future.
  • Make the apes too advanced for the place they are in the story. No perfect English speaking apes with witty one liners a'la' Cornelius in the original.
I would be interested in seeing more Apes movies.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Can't you picture a "woke" ape?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
in some ways the original planet of apes were 'woke'

think of it; the films were written about social injustice with apes over humans, human slaves, human experimentation, warfare, rifts between the ape classes based on 'race (gorilla vs chimp vs orangutan)' and the power each group held

even empowering females, apes and humans

all social justice issues of the time, they were just included in much more subtle way

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
in some ways the original planet of apes were 'woke'

think of it; the films were written about social injustice with apes over humans, human slaves, human experimentation, warfare, rifts between the ape classes based on 'race (gorilla vs chimp vs orangutan)' and the power each group held

even empowering females, apes and humans

all social justice issues of the time, they were just included in much more subtle way

Well, I would say it was more of an essay on class struggles and a global social paradigm shift which puts humans in a secondary role as guardians of the planet and the place at the top of the social food chain. It was said in the first movie that these apes are more intelligent than humans at that time because of the drug. SJW concepts are nowhere near as grandiose, and not nearly as widespread a concept as they would like. The SJW narrative is already facing massive resistance and I do not see it triumphing over common sense. But you do make a valid point.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

YES!! I KNOW I can't stand this guy! :)

But his video caught my eye, I have been on a passive look out for news of any new Mousey Apes stuff-- you know its coming

seems it is-or could be

you can take the video at face value and i am sure that D.Ck fans will

however, his 'anonymous source' to me, sounds more like some avg guy pitching his own ideas on an Apes movie. he knows it will never be made, so, why not get SOME attn? bad attn is better than none for some

also, If the main character IS the female astronaut, so what? Back in the 60's the idea of a female astronaut was so outlandish, the mere idea IN ITSELF was fiction. Now though, there are hundreds, or more female astronauts in space programs all over the world--- girls drive cars too!!

i think guys like doomcock are showing their misogyny when they automatically jump to the "omg its a female lead character!! they are once again trying to attack the male dominated society!! this movie WILL SUCK!!!"

Well, if they do make it, and the female lead-Stewart, is a fact, maybe it will suck. But it wont be because its a female lead. The whole concept of Pof Apes has never been shown correctly on screen

we never see a "planet" of apes, we only ever see a city or neighborhood of apes. i want to see a whole planet, dammit!

thats one underlying potential suck-ness

another is the profit mongering of disney and what they have the characters - male or female- DO AND SAY in the movie

ex: if they have a scantily clad Stewart running through a corn field, then stopping when she sees a young gorilla boy and girl arguing over gender roles, and she stops to give them a lesson on that.. then that will suck

if she doesn't, and she goes about kicking ape ass and blowing shit up-- along with her newfound, uber masculine boy, Nova, then it will be ok

either way-- DISNEY will do whatever they think it takes to turn every franchise they purchased from FOX into a money maker. how they do it, who knows, one can only hope that the mistakes of the new SW's trilogy and things like LOKI and BLACK WIDOW make them go more in the way of THE MANDALORIAN.. hey.. maybe Dave Filoni or FAVREAU is an APES fan?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Lm-ihOpo8

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You did hear him say at least three times this was a walk on rumor and to take it with a truckload of salt right?

Also, if that rumor is true the film will be crap. Making Stewart not just the lead but having her be in a lesbian relationship with Nova? Having the humans be able to speak? Changing Taylor into a rude and crude misogynist then killing him early? Having the film end with Stewart and the humans (which can talk) planning the retaking of Earth? Basically this rumored film would deep six all the themes of the original.

Remember Doomcock is not a whiner like Gary has become. He has things he likes and things he doesn't. His listeners cross the political spectrum and part of that is because he stays strictly non-political. He was also the one who called out others in the Fandom Menace for making "Without Respect We Reject" into a license for whining. This is why ultimately he split from them as his tone is a lot more balanced.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You did hear him say at least three times this was a walk on rumor and to take it with a truckload of salt right?

Also, if that rumor is true the film will be crap. Making Stewart not just the lead but having her be in a lesbian relationship with Nova? Having the humans be able to speak? Changing Taylor into a rude and crude misogynist then killing him early? Having the film end with Stewart and the humans (which can talk) planning the retaking of Earth? Basically this rumored film would deep six all the themes of the original.

Remember Doomcock is not a whiner like Gary has become. He has things he likes and things he doesn't. His listeners cross the political spectrum and part of that is because he stays strictly non-political. He was also the one who called out others in the Fandom Menace for making "Without Respect We Reject" into a license for whining. This is why ultimately he split from them as his tone is a lot more balanced.
he always says "take this with a grain of salt" at least in the few vids i have watched.. its a great barrier and disclaimer --like wearing a mask :)

lesbians? so what? they do exist

speaking humans.. ok.. there is nothing in our current status or evolution to suggest we would lose out ability to speak. our current status and science supports the ability to keep speaking- like in the time machine- rather that in the orig P o f the Apes

the original was allegory for what what going on in society and culture of that time-- as was TOS of ST. it is no big leap to see a modern re-telling mimic this technique and set their film based on the tone of our current society- whether we agree with what is going on her not

--------------------
but as i said, DISNEY will do what DISENY does, as any successful company is expected to do= make themselves and their shareholders money

all we can hope for is that they maybe have learned from their mistakes in SW's new trilogy and some recent marvel shows and movies and repeat their success from stuff like Mandalorian... surely there are others who are as capable as Filoni and Favreau..maybe even "Ape" fans?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
He said "truckload" here and not grain. The whole tone was this was an unproven rumor with less chance of being true than normal; and that people should take it with a LOT of salt. The mask is part of the schtick - Doomcock is much less a pop culture insider channel than it is a comedy entertainment one. He uses pop culture as the basis for a lot of his comic material but the tone is always semi-comical and generally upbeat.