The Matrix Resurrections...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well courtesy of my HBO Max I watched this last night. These are my thoughts so far:

1) Acting was all over the place. Probably the best performances were Carrie Anne Moss and Neil Patrick Harris. Keanu Reeves was in full "Picking up a paycheck" mode.

2) It isn't woke.

3) The writing is TERRIBLE. The story (such as it is) is way too self referential to the point where it makes the movie feel like a bad parody. It is also incoherent nonsense. I kind of expected writing issues due to trying to start new adventures in a storyline that was conclusively wrapped up in the third Matrix movie, but this was next level bad.

4) The tone of the movie is both inconsistent and WAY off. For all their warts the second and third Matrix films at least managed to stay tonally compatible with the first film. This thing is all over the place and (as stated above) feels more like a parody fan film than an actual narrative piece.

5) Excessive use of scenes from past films. This is a real problem not only because it makes this film lack any identity of its own but it makes it feel like "Video Clip the Movie".

Some things are best left concluded when they finish - and it seems that includes the Matrix. I suspect fans of the films will in essence act like this thing is a bad dream or alt reality thing...

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I like candy, and that movie has a lot of candy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well courtesy of my HBO Max I watched this last night. These are my thoughts so far:

1) Acting was all over the place. Probably the best performances were Carrie Anne Moss and Neil Patrick Harris. Keanu Reeves was in full "Picking up a paycheck" mode.

2) It isn't woke.

3) The writing is TERRIBLE. The story (such as it is) is way too self referential to the point where it makes the movie feel like a bad parody. It is also incoherent nonsense. I kind of expected writing issues due to trying to start new adventures in a storyline that was conclusively wrapped up in the third Matrix movie, but this was next level bad.

4) The tone of the movie is both inconsistent and WAY off. For all their warts the second and third Matrix films at least managed to stay tonally compatible with the first film. This thing is all over the place and (as stated above) feels more like a parody fan film than an actual narrative piece.

5) Excessive use of scenes from past films. This is a real problem not only because it makes this film lack any identity of its own but it makes it feel like "Video Clip the Movie".

Some things are best left concluded when they finish - and it seems that includes the Matrix. I suspect fans of the films will in essence act like this thing is a bad dream or alt reality thing...
You are spot on with your assessment of the film. I also watched it on HBO Max the moment it became available. I had high hopes for the movie based on the trailer, but I also had reservations when I did not see Lawrence Fishburn or Hugo Weaving, but we would be getting Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss.

The movie was too "meta" for me. Turning the previous movies into what they did in the movie (no spoiler) was cheap and somehow diminished them. There were many holes in the plot, and the twists in the end with Neo and Trinity seemed too forced. Was this a real Matrix movie? Kinda. I give it a 4 out of 10.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
The fact that itsn't woke intrigues me from watching it. Can I post an illegal way to see the movie here or is that not allowed?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The fact that itsn't woke intrigues me from watching it. Can I post an illegal way to see the movie here or is that not allowed?
No, its never allowed, sorry!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Why would you want to anyway?

Have you ever seen one of those filler episodes of a TV series where they need to occupy time so they have tons of flashbacks to earlier episodes? That is essentially what the Matrix Resurrections is. That plus a totally incompetent, overly meta and overly self referential script.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why would you want to anyway?

Have you ever seen one of those filler episodes of a TV series where they need to occupy time so they have tons of flashbacks to earlier episodes? That is essentially what the Matrix Resurrections is. That plus a totally incompetent, overly meta and overly self referential script.
That was a good way to put it! It really never should have been made. Not THIS movie. But since it has Keanu as Neo and Carrie Anne Moss as Trinity, it can't be dismissed. I believe the movie was intended to kick off more movies, but it has apparently bombed at the box office, and I am not sure how anyone profits from watching it on HBO Max without commercials. That was how I watched it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That was a good way to put it! It really never should have been made. Not THIS movie. But since it has Keanu as Neo and Carrie Anne Moss as Trinity, it can't be dismissed. I believe the movie was intended to kick off more movies, but it has apparently bombed at the box office, and I am not sure how anyone profits from watching it on HBO Max without commercials. That was how I watched it.
Same here. Not paying to watch this stuff.

HBO Max really was worthwhile this year (especially as I get it free as part of my Verizon Unlimited Plan).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i watched one review-- not an "angry" one :) but a disappointed one

the woman had a vid out before the film was released and she had deep apprehensions as to the "why" of it being made

her review she said, made her feel sadly vindicated

her take though-- and i really have no dog in this show, i have watched the originals, and thats about it, watched them for entertainment

her take was that this movie was a bit of choosing the red pill was wrong and the blue one should have been chosen instead

she said this wasn't specifically stated, but it was the tone she got- the perception. that all the flashbacks were regret

IDK,, just putting it out there, one of the many reviews I watch

it IS winter in NC PA so, not a whole lot else to do when I am not "herding cats" in my FB group :)

SciphonicStranger

I have HBO Max too and I've watched this film 3 times so far. I liked it and I missed some things earlier. It was fun to watch for me.

I spent a bit of time looking at reviews and they seem to be split. A lot of people probably are just happy that another movie has been produced. If it has bombed completely then we are probably done with Matrix movies for now and someone might try again in 10 years with another take and a new cast.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I haven't watched it yet despite having access to HBO Max. I want to re-watch the first three movies first and then this one right after. Trouble has been finding an appropriate time to watch the three original movies.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Managed to watch all four movies in a row yesterday. It wasn't easy. The first one is the best by far. For the new one, I got the impression that it was made on a lower budget. The actors weren't that great. The story wasn't great either. I had to fight to keep myself awake, but it was quite late.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, the original one is by far the best. I felt like #2 was kinda pretentious and #3 more of a video game than a film. This recent one is incoherent nonsense.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Managed to watch all four movies in a row yesterday. It wasn't easy. The first one is the best by far. For the new one, I got the impression that it was made on a lower budget. The actors weren't that great. The story wasn't great either. I had to fight to keep myself awake, but it was quite late.
I mean look at this shot, this is so badly done like it's even worse than a bollywood movie. It looks so fake.

Last edited:

SciphonicStranger

I mean look at this shot, this is so badly done like it's even worse than a bollywood movie. It looks so fake.

jumping-neo.gif

Is this thread open for spoilers yet?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you really want to spoil it...nothing really worth spoiling IMHO.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I've seen it. You can always use a spoiler tag.

SciphonicStranger