The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim - Anime Movie

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
IF, a streamer wanted to and IF the Tolkien family allowed it a entire series could be made- or several, each a one season shot, based on all the stories of Tolkien that are NOT LOTRs or HOBBIT and still not touch what the AMAZON show will be using as source material

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not even sure what Amazon is using now that they no longer have a Tolkien estate person of staff.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Not even sure what Amazon is using now that they no longer have a Tolkien estate person of staff.
not sure if Tolkien family has any say over new line cinema rights though

as for the amz show,, trailer looks good to me

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did a little hunting - it seems Amazon lost their license to everything outside of the material in the Peter Jackson films.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I did a littler hunting - it seems Amazon lost their license to everything outside of the material in the Peter Jackson films.
well, the new show is outside of the realm of source material on the jackson films as well. must exclude that

i read where the contracts, or however they are labeled. allows AMZ to make any show/movie that is set in the second age of middle earth

first age and third age are not included

related- i would love to see the Tolkien family allow someone, anyone to write a book/books on after the third age

even if its "now"

a couple of things that come close to what i am talking about is that NF movie BRIGHT, though it was not quite in synch, and then SWORD OF SHANNARA. THE second being the best option

never read shannara books, but it seems that kind of scenario would fit the Tolkien world best with the Elves and other races like Orcs and Dwarves outliving the "Age of man" and reasserting after our collapse. Tolkien's "world" is our world- in his notes he said something to effect of his "picturing Minas Tirith at the same location as FLorence Italy.

using that, some hardcore fans have superimposed real world maps over middle earth ones and fixed places

anyhow-- all stories.....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And right now a LOT of Tolkien fans are unhappy with the trailer because they say it is rewriting the lore. Examples include Galadriel being out of character so to speak. I am not well versed in the lore so I cannot say either way.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And right now a LOT of Tolkien fans are unhappy with the trailer because they say it is rewriting the lore. Examples include Galadriel being out of character so to speak. I am not well versed in the lore so I cannot say either way.
here's the thing

i have talked about this already but

there is not much "lore" to go on for the time period of the setting of the show- The Second Age

some mentions in LOTR's appendices, but most, if anything, are in some short stories published by his son in the "history of middle earth" books

things that were never finished or never meant for public release; they were working notes of Tolkien's. the only thing that is really published in the last book in the Silmarillion which is not part of the Silmarillion story, called the downfall of Numenor

it has no references to Galadriel- to stay with your point

but, when ppl inthe fandom, for example tried to make a big deal out of a casting call looking for actors comfortable doing nude scenes, etc-- THAT KIND OF IS!

See, briefly, the Numenoreans, the "blessed men" of the island nation who founded gondor and arnor, of who Aragorn is descended- went to war against basically all of middle earth subjugating the lesser men on its coasts (HERE'S WHERE ANY BLACK ACTORS EASILY FIT IN if they are playing men) from the far south to the north-where gondor was founded

these men, fleeing numenor, swore allegiance to Sauron who at this time had his "fair form" and was seen by them as a teacher- he showed them how to advance their cultures. agriculture, make better weapons, etc. they worshipped him

a numenorean king, the last one, was too proud and could not tolerate this, he captured sauron and brought him to numenor. sauron had the one ring, and with it andhis abilities he went from prisoner to chief advisor-- kind of like a twisted joseph and pharaoh story. he told the king that he needed to renounce the worship of the Gods- the Ainur, and worship only Morgoth

at the temple of morgoth all manner of evil was done-- human sacrifices, orgies-- orgies and sacrifices

anyhow, he convinced him to attack the land of the gods and this destroyed numenor and is when sauron lost his corporeal form

in other notes and the LOTRs appendices, on this timeframe, on galadriel tolkien wrote that she and her husband travelled greatly "battling evil when needed" thats it

so,, THIS IS WHERE the galadriel in armour comes in

the source material literally leaves A HUGE AMOUNT OF CREATIVE SPACE for the show runners without them NOT BEING true to Tolkiens ideas for the Second Age

but most "Critics" have Peter JACKSON ONTHEIR BRAINS

what so many DO NOT SAY about the Jackson movies, though great (not HOBBIT) is that the image we have of Orcs is NOT really the way Tolkien described all of them

Orcs are corrupted Elves and Men.. mostly elves. so they would look more like a sick and twisted.. very pale from living underground.. elves

he also stated that "orcs bred in the manner of the elves and men" meaning natural reproduction

logic than dictates that if the orcs were born as pure elves, looking as pure elves, then too were any orc children. meaning that as they grew older, they got their orcish look by battle, torture, self mutilation based on self hatred (on knowing they would never enter the halls of Mandos) and long centuries- millenia even living underground, so pale- hair loss etc

he also never said Elves had pointed ears, he only ever said that Hobbits had them, no other race. so orcs should not have pointed ears either

elves are meant to be the first iteration of man, though immortal. the main difference from the second, were that they were taller- up to 7 ft tall, long hair, beardless, far sighted and naturally stronger then men (kind of like vulcans)

jackson screwed that up too

anyhow-- YOU DID NOT ASK ME ALL of that :)