The Galaxy S II (Epic 4G Touch) gets Jelly Bean!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was in the Sprint store yesterday, shopping for my next phone and taking a look at that new Galaxy S4, and I realized that I really love my Galaxy SII and am fine with keeping it. But I really wanted Jelly Bean and I wanted it to fully support everything on my phone and also to use AllShare. The sales guy happened to have my exact phone as his personal phone but I noticed he was running Jelly Bean. WTH? Sprint has an OTA update to Jelly Bean, but Samsung has a stock Jelly Bean ROM for the Galaxy SII which is even cleaner:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00052384&fm_seq=60310

This is like a new phone! I love AllShare which allows you to stream media to your TVs or laptops easily. The speed is greatly improved and battery life which is already good, becomes great. :)

For you Galaxy S II and III owners here, the Galaxy S IV is a great phone but not enough of an advance to dump your already awesome phone for it. It is the OS version that makes the phone more than it's hardware. I think the hardware wars will reach a peak because people do not use their phones to compute as much. Will there EVER be any app or game made which will require a quad core processor on your phone? Maybe, but I dont need it.

Long live Jelly Bean (until the next version :))!

Jelly_Bean.png

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I don't bother waiting for manufacturer updates. JB 4.2.2 based ROMs have been around for ages on XDA for the Galaxy series. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't bother waiting for manufacturer updates. JB 4.2.2 based ROMs have been around for ages on XDA for the Galaxy series. :D

I go to XDA for the rooted ROMS I have been using and this one has been rooted from what I see. :) Hello hotspot!

Bluce Ree

I go to XDA for the rooted ROMS I have been using and this one has been rooted from what I see. :) Hello hotspot!

Oh, you stick with the ROMs based on stock sources. Yeah, if I did that for my SIII I'd still be on 4.1.2. Samsung is nearly a year behind right now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, you stick with the ROMs based on stock sources. Yeah, if I did that for my SIII I'd still be on 4.1.2. Samsung is nearly a year behind right now.

Im on 4.1.2...I like to stick with the rooted stock roms because the custom ROMs have been messing with my battery life. I have an app which monitors battery usage and this time around Im sticking with the stock roots until I change phones again. :)

Bluce Ree

Im on 4.1.2...I like to stick with the rooted stock roms because the custom ROMs have been messing with my battery life. I have an app which monitors battery usage and this time around Im sticking with the stock roots until I change phones again. :)

In my Nexus 4 thread, I detail out how I managed to overcome its battery drain and overheating issue. The Nexus stock ROM was a major drain but the custom ROM coupled with a replacement kernel did the trick.

The stock ROM on my S3 was also a drain. I'm using a custom ROM and my battery outlasts all of my friends' S3s. :D