The foldable phone/tablet is a working reality

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I came across this article along with proof that the tech works here:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...artphone-tablet-pricing-features-release-date

Video here:

It looks like it would be cool, but I am concerned with several things I noticed in the video:

1. How will foldable devices deal with the classic "book binder" thing that happens when you start using hardcover books? For books, the binding becomes looser and the book becomes easier and easier to to open and close. But the place that folds becomes bent-in with use.
  2. WHY? Who really needs a foldable tablet/phone? It will be thick, the screen will be vulnerable to scratches, elements, etc. What sort of cover do you put on such a phone? How about cameras? How will you put it in your car phone clip? How do sensors deal with the folded form?
  3. Other than plastic for the body, what options would be available for a phone like this? Moving parts mean vulnerabilities.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The article I read previously mentioned the phone had been tested/rated for folding and unfolding it 200000 times I believe. Interestingly, Samsung got beaten to the punch by a startup company from California, but apparently their phone is only releasing in China for now. Samsung's marketing department appears to have shifted up a gear ever since that news came out. :)

As for folds appearing on the display over time, I think that's the number one thing anyone would think of, so my bet is that they've taken that on as a prime consideration from the start and have managed to develop materials and technology which can avoid such a thing occurring for at least the average lifespan of a mobile device. You know tech develops fast in this market so the lifespan of a phone might not actually be considered to be more than a year or two. Seriously, if you just bought a brand new model flagship phone and you compare it to one from two years ago, there'll be a significant difference in various aspects.

Why. Well it looks pretty neat to be honest. I'm all for practicality, but I can appreciate a flashy bit of gear. I do use my phone to watch Netflix sometimes when I go to bed and a foldout model which offers double the screen area might actually be pretty swell in that regard. I don't use my phone for work stuff, but I can also see editing a document would be more convenient than on a regular phone. It's sort of like a tablet which you can put in your pocket instead of in a bag or something. This tech will probably take off like a rocket and before you know it this will be the market standard. There will surely still be "regular" phones as well for the part of the market which is not interested in this stuff, but that'll probably be a minority within a few years. Unless some other type of high tech gear arrives which could make the entire concept of phones as we know them irrelevant, which is bound to happen sooner or later.

No idea as to point number three. Textiles? Carbon fibre composites?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The application and purpose for a foldable phone...? This is a gimmick and it doesn't wow me one bit. If it was a flip phone but instead these idiots went from tablet/phone hybrid when they should have done it what motorola did with the razor but still, these phones are now a fashion item and the technology doesn't solve problems now. 2000 dollars for this piece of crap.

Same here (bolded). I do not need or want a foldable phone. I do not need to carry something around that turns into a tablet. I don't need a tablet with me everywhere I go, any more than I carry my laptop around with me (I don't). I agree it's a gimmick, and it makes no sense to me to have one of these.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I think "making friends" is probably something which is generally for the young people. Nowadays, I make new acquaintances, but none of them really become "friends" anymore. They are like friends, but then they're gone because they move to another country or whatever and you never see or hear from them again. It's not sad to me. It's just how it is. Actually I've never been one to quickly make friends. I have about a handful of people whom I ever called friends, if even. But those that are there will probably be there forever.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How will foldable devices deal with the classic "book binder" thing that happens when you start using hardcover books

planned obsolescence/wear out. they want you to buy another of course

WHY? Who really needs a foldable tablet/phone?

yay!!!!! 100% money maker with no real practical life improving application other then cool factor

can you imagine just how many 'likes' or retweets the first person to buy (or rather put on credit) one of these in a circle of friends is going to get?! they will be a social media god for at least 24hrs

i give it 5 out 5 raspberry 'so what awards'
:sour::sour::sour::sour::sour:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
*hums* La la la...."I have gadgets and gizmo's a plenty,
I've got whoozits and whatzits galore...
You want thingamabobs?
I got twenty! "
I love gadgets! :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the only thing i see this as being truly useful for would be for police, emergency services, military and some technicians/repair ppl who need to have access online or to data ALL WHILE keeping their hands free to use

it could be worn and used wrapped around the forearm,yes?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the only thing i see this as being truly useful for would be for police, emergency services, military and some technicians/repair ppl who need to have access online or to data ALL WHILE keeping their hands free to use

it could be worn and used wrapped around the forearm,yes?

Something I would definitely consider is an actual tablet that unfolds into a much larger monitor sized tablet. Start with a 12" tablet and make it unfold into a 22" tablet/AllInOne? I'm on board with something like that. With casting capability, you could take a device like that camping or to the beach or to a park, and have a nice setup with a larger screen than most regular large screen laptops which seem to have maxed out at 17". Pair it to a mouse and keyboard, and you have the equivalent of a desktop computer. I already have a 10" Fire HD tablet and a phone with a 5.5" screen. Why would I want this folding phone?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
With casting capability, you could take a device like that camping or to the beach

nah

isn't the point of going out into nature partially to get away from tech?

hey wait are you one of the Cali "Glampers" ? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
nah

isn't the point of going out into nature partially to get away from tech?

hey wait are you one of the Cali "Glampers" ? :)

Nah, but beach night parties or meteor shower events would be a good place to bring one of those. Also I see a use for something like that for amateur photographers or video makers who want a larger screen than laptops provide, while taking up less space. Such a device could have two 4000mAh batteries giving it almost a week of power without charging.