The demise of Stargate Universe is NOT the end of Stargate. Its just the end of certain careers.

Will

GateFans Noob
Well the more I think about it the more I hope they don't do an SGA movie. Why? Because it would be a "wrap up" movie, and the story doesn't need "wrapping up", it needs continuing. And given these writers' egos I can just picture them wrapping things up in such a way as to make someone else picking up the series impossible. It's been done before in other franchises.

As for Stargate being over for good, I agree with Overmind on this - all that will be over is the involvement of the current PTB. Stargate is still a successful concept with a loyal and hungry fanbase and there is plenty of opportunity for someone else to pick it up. And there is so much more they could do! We still have Pegasus infested by the wraith, we have the Milky Way safe (for now), the Ori forces are now friendly (and potentially allies against the wraith or other threats), there are a myriad of other possible badguys who were only touched upon once or twice in SG1 who could resurface (e.g. the Aschen), the evil Asgard and the obvious potential to bring back the good Asgard, we have Goa'uld who are attempting to rebuild (they may be revealed as false gods, but their parasitic nature means that they can get very powerful very quickly) and of course, there is infinite potential for completely new ideas. It doesn't have to be set in the present day either, they could set it a few decades in the future if they wanted to.

It's totally possible - look at what Star Trek achieved. 4 seasons of TOS, 7 seasons of TNG, 7 seasons of DS9, 7 seasons of Voyager, and 4 seasons of Enterprise. And the franchise is STILL being explored, albeit in a rebooted way.

And there is also the fact that there is a huge gulf in sci-fi TV shows at the moment - and with MGM in financial difficulties, I really wouldn't be surprised if another studio picked up the rights to the franchise for a song. Might take a few years for anything to happen, but I very much doubt this is the end of Stargate.

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob
It really pisses me off that Joseph Mallozzi is implying that "if" Stargate Universe fails, that it will be the end of Stargate. It will be the end of HIS Stargate, but the Stargate concept itself is evergreen and will outlive Mallozzi's career. Stargate was not created by TPTB, it was created by Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, and they have already expressed interest in writing two sequels. So, what is REALLY going on with these threads and ominous predictions about the future of the Stargate franchise? These are the FACTS:

1. The studio owns the rights to the Stargate franchise and the rights of the movies. Not Joseph Mallozzi or any of the current writers or producers. They have ZERO say about its future.
  2. The Stargate fanbase is still intact. We are still loyal fans of Stargate, and the reason SGU failed is because the writers stopped being fans of their own show and derailed the franchise.
  3. The studio can EASILY fire each and every writer, producer, special effects guy, cameramen, and sell off ALL the sets...and Stargate can still be rebooted years from now. Proof of this can be seen in the Trek franchise, in the V franchise and the Battlestar Galactica franchise.
  4. When this show is canceled, the writers and producers will no longer have their jobs connected with Stargate...unless they are called upon to write movies later. They are trying to save their jobs, not Stargate.
  1. Having said all that, I think it shows a huge lack of character and integrity to "threaten" fans that if this show fails (it has already failed miserably), that there will be no more Stargate. The reality is that there will be no more Stargate from these writers. In my opinion, this is the best thing that could have happened to the franchise...to extricate all of the weaknesses in the writing camp. Joe Mallozzi, Brad Wright...Im looking at you. :icon_cool:

When Stargate Universe has been canceled and its wrap-up movie finished, the current writers and producers should move on to something they like, as they are obviously no longer well-suited to write real science fiction for Stargate fans. If Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin write sequels to the 1994 movie as they revealed last year, that is an opportunity to wipe Stargate Universe from canon completely, and that would be a wise decision.

About the sequels: http://blog.moviefone.com/2009/10/15/devlin-and-emmerich-are-both-interested-in-stargate-sequels/
You wrote a great post.
You're quoted once again joeM's blackmail when sgu can't save itself coz its own qualities.It's really annoying.
Just my opinion SG franchise was over when TPTB cancelled SGA to put in its place this poor mixed copy of BSG and SG.When you made copy you have the duty to do the best not this bleaked copy where TPTB injected some elements coming from best previous successful series hoping to attrack viewers of all these show. FAILURE coz lack of talent even copying it.
You're right MGM have the Rights of SG franchise so the studios can fire all these people to replace them by new ones with new fresh ideas. I always thought TPTB would have to change writers on SGA to improve the show that already had good rates but IMO it was more due to the Cast with a big C rather than cancelling it to replace it by new one changing all codes.
It was a big mistake. Fans have given their chance but they wasted it with their rants toward them.
You spoke of wrap-up movie I don't think so.There will be, once again, rushed end with finale ep coz cancellation like they did with SGA but no movie coz once again audience is not enough out there to sell it.

I think Stargate is over for the forseeable future. Sure maybe 5 or 10 years down the line it will get a reboot with a movie or new series, but to be honest I don't really care. For me the Stargate that I loved for the past 15 years is over and won't be back. There may be some new formatted Stargate that some will love and others will hate. I think there are plenty of stories to tell within the Stargate premise and with some decent characters, good writers and producers, it could be a success again.

I'm not all that bothered about continuity or things having to follow on exactly as before. Things change and evolve so I'd have no problem with different gates, new technology or whatever once it's handled well.

I can't see how doing a sequel to the 1994 movie could be a good idea. What about everything that has happened since then. Which characters would they use. If they are going to do a movie in the future I think the SGA cast are still young enough for their story to be picked up, or if not then I'd prefer them to go either back to the time of the ancients or further into the future..I think they've done enough of present day earth kind of scenarios.
ITA I don't care anymore of the movies especially with such producers. I could follow the franchise if MGM change the producers.
but I don't think the previous ones (Devlin) will be a good idea coz there was more action than character development and could they use the previous characters which we are familar with?
Regarding a potential movie you're right SGA cast are young enough to play again their characters

You are right, it IS over. But what is over, is the involvement of the writers of Stargate that are currently in place. This franchise in its current incarnation is over. But why the sad face? It WILL be revived later by somebody, and the reason I know this is because of its demonstrated ability to spin off long-running, well-loved serialized programs as well as full length movies. Its just that somebody DIFFERENT will be doing the writing. That usually means a change in style, in tone, but still staying true to the core premise of the show which is established by the movie(s).

There is awesome fan fiction out there to draw from. Emmerich and Devlin are still alive and wanting to do sequels. Amanda Tapping is a Producer (hint hint). Joe Flanigan wants to direct (hint hint). There are so many hopeful avenues for a reboot...no way is this the end of Stargate. It will only go into stasis for a few years.
Once again I agree. In addition MGM could use abilities of some in SG reboots. As you said JoeF DHewlett know the franchise their characters the legacy of the franchise and even the spirit. They tried to bring some ideas in SGA since the 2nd season but writers are stayed deaf. What are the people who know better the show and the characters and how they would be able to evolve: Actors. They want to direct and can write some scripts. I remember too JoeF met some people who wanted to fund the movie so could be interested in being producer too.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

It really pisses me off that Joseph Mallozzi is implying that "if" Stargate Universe fails, that it will be the end of Stargate. It will be the end of HIS Stargate, but the Stargate concept itself is evergreen and will outlive Mallozzi's career. Stargate was not created by TPTB, it was created by Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, and they have already expressed interest in writing two sequels. So, what is REALLY going on with these threads and ominous predictions about the future of the Stargate franchise? These are the FACTS:

1. The studio owns the rights to the Stargate franchise and the rights of the movies. Not Joseph Mallozzi or any of the current writers or producers. They have ZERO say about its future.
  2. The Stargate fanbase is still intact. We are still loyal fans of Stargate, and the reason SGU failed is because the writers stopped being fans of their own show and derailed the franchise.
  3. The studio can EASILY fire each and every writer, producer, special effects guy, cameramen, and sell off ALL the sets...and Stargate can still be rebooted years from now. Proof of this can be seen in the Trek franchise, in the V franchise and the Battlestar Galactica franchise.
  4. When this show is canceled, the writers and producers will no longer have their jobs connected with Stargate...unless they are called upon to write movies later. They are trying to save their jobs, not Stargate.
Having said all that, I think it shows a huge lack of character and integrity to "threaten" fans that if this show fails (it has already failed miserably), that there will be no more Stargate. The reality is that there will be no more Stargate from these writers. In my opinion, this is the best thing that could have happened to the franchise...to extricate all of the weaknesses in the writing camp. Joe Mallozzi, Brad Wright...Im looking at you. :icon_cool:

When Stargate Universe has been canceled and its wrap-up movie finished, the current writers and producers should move on to something they like, as they are obviously no longer well-suited to write real science fiction for Stargate fans. If Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin write sequels to the 1994 movie as they revealed last year, that is an opportunity to wipe Stargate Universe from canon completely, and that would be a wise decision.

About the sequels: http://blog.moviefone.com/2009/10/15/devlin-and-emmerich-are-both-interested-in-stargate-sequels/

Yep, totally agree. If Stargate has an interval of several years it will be a good thing but at that time, if I heard word that any of the current PTB were in any way connected to a new show's production/directing/writing etc, I would avoid it like herpies (as I suspect many others in the fanbase would too). The current PTB are a liability to the franchise & MGM & I reckon the execs realise that or will once SGU is shit canned.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
When I said I felt it was over, I guess I meant the whole thing. But that's okay with me. But who knows, they've brought back worse!

Fizz

GateFans Noob
Stargate is MGM's 2nd most successful franchise behind Bond, which is not small potatoes despite being the definition of "cult success". I'm sure at some point, whoever the new owners are or whether they sell the rights, it will be explored in the future, most likely as a remake or reboot at this point.

As for sequels to the movie, well I would watch (not that I think they will happen) but despite the crap that SGU delivered, it still wouldn't feel like Stargate to me without Carter and Teal'c, so picking up 10 years after the movie with Daniel still on Abydos or something would feel wrong.

Okay, so yeah, the SGA gate has it's own custom style, but the basic design is the same. The differences, when you come right down to it, are pretty trivial. I like the SG-1 gate and the original from the movie, but I'm always going to love the SGA gate. There's just something about it to me... Still, both work out just fine

For me too, I love the Atlantis gate, is so very pretty and blue. The difference between those two has never bugged me. I do like the fact that the SGC had to "McGyver" computers to be DHDs and it was a big issue but Pegasus gates are awesome and work as slightly better upgrades. SGU gates make no sense what so ever. Spinning really? After millions of years complicated engineering "stuff" works perfectly on every planet? Right.

Then there's the no DHD stuff. Yeah right they invented nifty portable devices before massive DHDs. That makes as much sense as if cell phones, or phones in general, had started off as bluetooth ear pieces and progressed to bricks the size of mountains.

Nani

GateFans Noob

Having said all that, I think it shows a huge lack of character and integrity to "threaten" fans that if this show fails (it has already failed miserably), that there will be no more Stargate. The reality is that there will be no more Stargate from these writers. In my opinion, this is the best thing that could have happened to the franchise...to extricate all of the weaknesses in the writing camp. Joe Mallozzi, Brad Wright...Im looking at you. :icon_cool:

Excellent point. The smart ones moved on. The ones with limited talent are still around, cause new opportunities are hard to find if one can't make them for oneself. May I remind you guys that JoMo started his career writing for The Berenstain Bears children's cartoon. (And I must say, it's always been one of my least favourite cartoons.)

I was a Stargate fan since the original movie & would love to see the original creators take control over that 'verse again & see where they'd like it.