Testing OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am pleasantly surprised at how Yosemite managed to breathe new life into this thing, making it feel modern, new and very responsive. This is so not like the PC world. Every new iteration of Windows obliterates outdated hardware.

Agreed. I think this is Mac's version of code cleanup, like Microsoft has done with Windows 8 and Windows 10. I distinctly remember my Mac being half as fast with Mountain Lion, and it was still noticeably slower than Yosemite even with the SSD. Everything seems to run blazingly fast in Yosemite. And I think Adobe wrote it's After Effects for Mac because it runs much faster on it than on my PC (same version). My PC still has spinning SATAs though...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Agreed. I think this is Mac's version of code cleanup, like Microsoft has done with Windows 8 and Windows 10. I distinctly remember my Mac being half as fast with Mountain Lion, and it was still noticeably slower than Yosemite even with the SSD. Everything seems to run blazingly fast in Yosemite. And I think Adobe wrote it's After Effects for Mac because it runs much faster on it than on my PC (same version). My PC still has spinning SATAs though...

Try running Windows 8 on 8 year old hardware. Yosemite took this 8 year old iMac and revitalized it. :D

Bluce Ree

My wife has defected to Apple. Just about all our friends and her family is on the iPhone 6. She couldn't resist the form factor and the look & feel of the all-metal casing.

I have to admit, it's a nice looking device. I just can't stand the closed ecosystem. I'm still loving my LG G3 although I wish the android manufacturers would take a hint from Apple's designers.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My wife has defected to Apple. Just about all our friends and her family is on the iPhone 6. She couldn't resist the form factor and the look & feel of the all-metal casing.

I have to admit, it's a nice looking device. I just can't stand the closed ecosystem. I'm still loving my LG G3 although I wish the android manufacturers would take a hint from Apple's designers.

I do appreciate the Apple design. I love the way the keys feel, the way it looks, the touches which make it look like the computing equivalent of a Porsche. But outside of the visual coolness and superiority in running Adobe software, Im still very firmly a Linux lover with PC training. I only want to see Windows in my networks with a few iPads and iPhones. :)

Im waiting for the LG G4 or G5. My LG G2 is superior to the Samsung Galaxy S4 that it replaced. The G3 is awesome! But it has the same camera as my G2 even though your screen is bigger and the hardware is more advanced.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think you mean "Apple in your networks"?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think you mean "Apple in your networks"?

Nope, Windows. I dont like to see Apple computers on a Windows network as one of the regular machines on the network. They are a freakin nightmare. Even iPads are a problem. Apple devices are cool, but they are not team players.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ah. Got it. I misunderstood your sentence and thought you had called iPads and iPhones Windows devices.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ah. Got it. I misunderstood your sentence and thought you had called iPads and iPhones Windows devices.

I compared the design to a Porsche. But would you use a Porsche (car, not SUV) to haul the family groceries, or would you use the minivan? Windows is the minivan.

Apple does not design it's devices to be integrated into business networks. They do not offer a server platform which can be made HIPAA compliant, and they have nothing remotely comparable to Active Directory.

Bluce Ree

I do appreciate the Apple design. I love the way the keys feel, the way it looks, the touches which make it look like the computing equivalent of a Porsche. But outside of the visual coolness and superiority in running Adobe software, Im still very firmly a Linux lover with PC training. I only want to see Windows in my networks with a few iPads and iPhones. :)

I know you like Windows on the back-end because of the easy-to-use GUI tools and Active Directory stuff. I prefer Windows on the desktop and will never allow a Windows server to touch my network under any circumstance. Linux fully drives my entire carrier-class infrastructure. :D

That being said, I've been in a Linux desktop environment for so long I've forgotten what Windows desktop even feels like. I've Mac-ified my Mint desktop, including adding Helvetica Lt system fonts, and it looks and feels like a Mac.

desktop.jpg

Im waiting for the LG G4 or G5. My LG G2 is superior to the Samsung Galaxy S4 that it replaced. The G3 is awesome! But it has the same camera as my G2 even though your screen is bigger and the hardware is more advanced.

Grab a G4 or a G3 off Craigslist. You will not be disappointed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I actually saw someonme on a highway towing a trailer with a Prius....it was pretty funny as the car was clearly struggling and it was doing about 20 on a highway. Needless to say the police arrived eventually.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I compared the design to a Porsche. But would you use a Porsche (car, not SUV) to haul the family groceries, or would you use the minivan? Windows is the minivan.

Apple does not design it's devices to be integrated into business networks. They do not offer a server platform which can be made HIPAA compliant, and they have nothing remotely comparable to Active Directory.

Bluce Ree

My wife now has an iPhone 6, an iPad Air 2, an iMac I revitalized for her and now she's on a mission to get a MacBook Pro. :(

I keep hoping she misses the way Android was customizable to her taste, even going so far as to show off my latest Android look, feel and toys but she just whips out that iPhone and paper-thin iPad Air, showing it off saying "I like my Apple". :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Is that the Cairo dock? I used to have my Ubuntu machines set up with Mac4Lin which changed all the controls and the layout to Mac style. Now, I have it Windows-fied. I have to use Windows servers (virtually) so that I could implement shadow copy on my network machines. Also, the business network is Windows.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My wife now has an iPhone 6, an iPad Air 2, an iMac I revitalized for her and now she's on a mission to get a MacBook Pro. :(

I keep hoping she misses the way Android was customizable to her taste, even going so far as to show off my latest Android look, feel and toys but she just whips out that iPhone and paper-thin iPad Air, showing it off saying "I like my Apple". :icon_lol:

Sounds like my brother. He loves his slim Macbook Air. Im still never going to own an iPhone. But I have considered getting an iPad. Until my trusty (but old) Acer Iconia A500 gives up the ghost, I will happily use all my apps and watch Netflix and read and write email on it. There still isnt an iPad with a regular USB port or mini HDMI, and I have that on the Iconia which means I can attach an external hard drive or stick in a thumb drive.

Bluce Ree

Is that the Cairo dock? I used to have my Ubuntu machines set up with Mac4Lin which changed all the controls and the layout to Mac style. Now, I have it Windows-fied. I have to use Windows servers (virtually) so that I could implement shadow copy on my network machines. Also, the business network is Windows.

I pulled the Ubuntu Mac4Lin stuff and applied it to the Cinnamon desktop. It Mac-ified everything, including desktop behavior. After reviving that old Mac for my wife, I developed a liking for the Mac desktop. I won't use OSX for various technical reasons (low-level geeky shit most people don't even care about or understand), among which includes stupidities like using "\r" instead of "\n" or "\r\n" like the rest of the world does as an EOL (end of line) marker, which completely screws up all text and command files I send up to my servers.

Bluce Ree

Sounds like my brother. He loves his slim Macbook Air. Im still never going to own an iPhone. But I have considered getting an iPad. Until my trusty (but old) Acer Iconia A500 gives up the ghost, I will happily use all my apps and watch Netflix and read and write email on it. There still isnt an iPad with a regular USB port or mini HDMI, and I have that on the Iconia which means I can attach an external hard drive or stick in a thumb drive.

I dislike that about Apple. The entire thing is constructed around getting the user to buy Apple-specific accessories and locking the user down into an all-Apple ecosystem. Their answer to the missing extended storage is iCloud. Appleites are convinced that iCloud is the answer to the total lack of a mini-SD slot. Oh, and to broadcast or connect to external devices, just buy that Apple broadcasting thing (the name eludes me right now) that turns your TV into a giant iTunes store where users happily throw money down the toilet for shit that's mostly otherwise free on Android.