Stargate Atlantis, most likely never to return.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
slide.jpg

Stargate Atlantis will most likely never return, but I think we will see a return of Stargate in some form or another. I will update the thread.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sad but true. As we discussed in other threads it was overall a well written piece of entertainment Sci Fi. Did it have its "groaner" moments - yes. But overall it worked.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Not sure if I'd want SGA to return personally. The last season was so mediocre that it left a bad taste in my mouth, and the show never could live up the standards set by SG-1. Except for maybe in the first season, before it all got out of control when contact was reestablished with Earth. If I had to pick one SG show to return, it'd definitely be SG-1. Though come to think of it, that show really wasn't the same either once Earth got so damn powerful with all those ships and stuff....

Maybe there should just be a reboot instead... (if done right!)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not sure if I'd want SGA to return personally. The last season was so mediocre that it left a bad taste in my mouth, and the show never could live up the standards set by SG-1. Except for maybe in the first season, before it all got out of control when contact was reestablished with Earth. If I had to pick one SG show to return, it'd definitely be SG-1. Though come to think of it, that show really wasn't the same either once Earth got so damn powerful with all those ships and stuff....

Maybe there should just be a reboot instead... (if done right!)

Yeah, SG-1 was my show too. It could have literally gone forever, just changing the General in charge, rotating the Team once and a while, but keeping the basics straight. I was disappointed when the ships came along, and that happened right after ST Enterprise was cancelled. All that new Trek Tech took away from the last seasons for me, but was not horrible. Atlantis was also cool, but did it really have legs with its premise? McKeller ruined that.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Yeah, SG-1 was my show too. It could have literally gone forever, just changing the General in charge, rotating the Team once and a while, but keeping the basics straight. I was disappointed when the ships came along, and that happened right after ST Enterprise was cancelled. All that new Trek Tech took away from the last seasons for me, but was not horrible. Atlantis was also cool, but did it really have legs with its premise? McKeller ruined that.

Agreed. Though one thing I did like about the later seasons was that there was larger focus on the season arc compared to the previous seasons (at least in season 9). Just look at season 7, where the season premiere seemed to establish some kind of major search for the lost city which would carry on through the season, but then it was barely mentioned until the season finale. Or in season 8, when the replicator invasion of the milky way and the downfall of the Goa'uld just started in the first part of Reckoning, and then came to an end in the following ep, with very little build up prior to that. Season 9 just had more focus on the story arc compared to those seasons, and even though the Ori were pretty dull villains, I liked that. That gradual build up from episodic storytelling in the first part of the season to quite heavy serialization towards the back end was part of the reason why I loved Btvs and Angel so much, and it would've been nice to see more of that in the SG shows.

The ships were a major mistake, I agree, but I wouldn't have minded it so much if they had at least held back a bit on the space based stuff. Maybe instead of having lots of uber powerful Asgard enhanced ships there could've just been a couple of ships not much more powerful than the Prometheus we saw in S6.

IMO, McKeller wasn't the sole reason for Atlantis' fall from grace. It all started in season 2 when contact was reestablished with Earth and the Daedalus started to make regular trips to Atlantis. If they had kept the city cut off for at least two or three more seasons it would've added a greater sense of danger and suspense to it all. But of course, far less focus on McKay wouldn't have hurt either. That and better writers. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agreed. Though one thing I did like about the later seasons was that there was larger focus on the season arc compared to the previous seasons (at least in season 9). Just look at season 7, where the season premiere seemed to establish some kind of major search for the lost city which would carry on through the season, but then it was barely mentioned until the season finale. Or in season 8, when the replicator invasion of the milky way and the downfall of the Goa'uld just started in the first part of Reckoning, and then came to an end in the following ep, with very little build up prior to that. Season 9 just had more focus on the story arc compared to those seasons, and even though the Ori were pretty dull villains, I liked that. That gradual build up from episodic storytelling in the first part of the season to quite heavy serialization towards the back end was part of the reason why I loved Btvs and Angel so much, and it would've been nice to see more of that in the SG shows.

The ships were a major mistake, I agree, but I wouldn't have minded it so much if they had at least held back a bit on the space based stuff. Maybe instead of having lots of uber powerful Asgard enhanced ships there could've just been a couple of ships not much more powerful than the Prometheus we saw in S6.

IMO, McKeller wasn't the sole reason for Atlantis' fall from grace. It all started in season 2 when contact was reestablished with Earth and the Daedalus started to make regular trips to Atlantis. If they had kept the city cut off for at least two or three more seasons it would've added a greater sense of danger and suspense to it all. But of course, far less focus on McKay wouldn't have hurt either. That and better writers. ;)

There was the "taming" of Todd and the Wraith in general. There was the Michael arc which I did not really like all that well. But McKellar ruined it completely. Also, it would have been uncool with Teyla's baby in the show. SG-1 stayed cool from beginning to end, even with Jack off SG-1 and adding in Vala and Cameron. They could even have rotated off Tealc or Sam in a pinch, with the right actors/actresses.:anim_53:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
There was the "taming" of Todd and the Wraith in general. There was the Michael arc which I did not really like all that well. But McKellar ruined it completely. Also, it would have been uncool with Teyla's baby in the show. SG-1 stayed cool from beginning to end, even with Jack off SG-1 and adding in Vala and Cameron. They could even have rotated off Tealc or Sam in a pinch, with the right actors/actresses.:anim_53:

Yep, I'm in full agreement with with all your points. SG-1 definitely had something which SGA lacked, and it could definitely have continued on to this day with some good actors filling the void left by the eventual departure of all of the original cast.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, I'm in full agreement with with all your points. SG-1 definitely had something which SGA lacked, and it could definitely have continued on to this day with some good actors filling the void left by the eventual departure of all of the original cast.

The only one I would really think is irreplaceable is Daniel...but even he could be rotated off with another guy like him. Perhaps a lost "son" or relative? If a series comes back, it will likely follow the lines of SG-1 or just be a new crew altogether with Jack and Daniel being the central characters like in the movie.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
The only one I would really think is irreplaceable is Daniel...but even he could be rotated off with another guy like him. Perhaps a lost "son" or relative? If a series comes back, it will likely follow the lines of SG-1 or just be a new crew altogether with Jack and Daniel being the central characters like in the movie.

Well Daniel could probably be replaced by a similar character as well. After all, Season 6 wasn't bad even though Jonas filled Daniel's position.

I think that if it comes back it'll be some kind of reboot of the original movie, with just Jack and Daniel being the main characters. Maybe Sam could be in there too, in case the guys who reboot it are fans of the show, but it's more likely that none of the original characters from the show will be in it all.

Tropicana

Council Member
If Atlantis was cut off from contact, I too think the show's direction would have gone with a different direction. While I was glad the marines were coming through the Atlantis gate suiting up the city with rail guns. I did find, perhaps it was too soon.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
There was the "taming" of Todd and the Wraith in general. There was the Michael arc which I did not really like all that well. But McKellar ruined it completely. Also, it would have been uncool with Teyla's baby in the show.

Yes, the Michael story arc was tedious I thought. And I have to ask does adding a baby to a show such as this ever accomplish anything? Me thinks not.

SG-1 stayed cool from beginning to end, even with Jack off SG-1 and adding in Vala and Cameron. They could even have rotated off Tealc or Sam in a pinch, with the right actors/actresses.:anim_53:

You said "jack off" tee hee! :sam56:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
How about a SG show where the SGC goes to all the worlds Earth TPTB feels were harmed or coerced into Earths'sphere of influence -or to world's freed from the Go'auld, that must have been quite upsetting to the people there and on their planet's economy. Hey, freedom ain't all that it is cracked up to be.

The could call it a galactic apologizing tour-saying sorry for being so successful and for upsetting thousands of years of predictability.

Sound familiar?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
How about a SG show where the SGC goes to all the worlds Earth TPTB feels were harmed or coerced into Earths'sphere of influence -or to world's freed from the Go'auld, that must have been quite upsetting to the people there and on their planet's economy. Hey, freedom ain't all that it is cracked up to be.

The could call it a galactic apologizing tour-saying sorry for being so successful and for upsetting thousands of years of predictability.

Sound familiar?

Well they did the episodes where Teal'c went on trial for crimes committed while a Goa'uld and same for Vala. So they've got that angle covered, but you're right, they didn't do much when it came to the perspective of having the apple cart upended for all the renaissance fair goers on every planet they stopped visited.

I guess it's like the Star Wars thing where no one really thinks about all the contractors and general laborers who worked on the various Death Stars that were then either killed or put out of work by the action of the rebels. :icon_neutral:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I guess it's like the Star Wars thing where no one really thinks about all the contractors and general laborers who worked on the various Death Stars that were then either killed or put out of work by the action of the rebels. :icon_neutral:

This point was "corrected" by Lucas in the prequels.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well they did the episodes where Teal'c went on trial for crimes committed while a Goa'uld and same for Vala. So they've got that angle covered, but you're right, they didn't do much when it came to the perspective of having the apple cart upended for all the renaissance fair goers on every planet they stopped visited.

I was referring to a little more 'down to earth' type of issue, but didn't want to come out with it directly..but yeah your right they did have a bit here and there of the "apology" thing.
--- merged: Nov 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM ---
This point was "corrected" by Lucas in the prequels.

or this one on the goofy side:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I was referring to a little more 'down to earth' type of issue, but didn't want to come out with it directly..but yeah your right they did have a bit here and there of the "apology" thing.

LOL! Yeah, I got the political reference. :anim_59:

It is an interesting point to think about though, how humans jumping thru the stargates would affect the people/creatures on the other side. But since the Goa'uld were using them for some very draconian reasons long before humans I don't think the Taree have much to apologize for. :winking0052: