Star Wars spin-off movie

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
All new! R3D3, C4PO, Yada, Lou Cloudrunner (and Princess Lena) and Chumbekka!

That's what I'm afraid of, that they will create "new" characters that are simply different versions of the same ones we already know. Fingers crossed that the writers lean more towards originality on this one.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That's what I'm afraid of, that they will create "new" characters that are simply different versions of the same ones we already know. Fingers crossed that the writers lean more towards originality on this one.

its a huge galaxy-no need to re create any current characters, just into new ones and expand the stories of the current ones

i mean, how could there possibly be just one rebel fleet and just one small group (Han,Luke, Leia,etc) of 'heroes'?

REBELS goes with this premise

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
if anything, lets hope that this new re-emergence of new SW movies will do like the first SW movies did-re-invigorate a love for sci fi in the general public which gave us more quality sci fi back in the 70's and 80's (yeah, 'they' said that Star Trek was going to re boot in the 70's prior to SW's 4, but how far would it have gotten without SW's?)

hope for,this time, less crappy stuff like KRULL

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No. no no...

The new characters will be....

Lone Star!

Princess Vespa!

Barf!

Dot Matrix!

and....

Dark Helmet!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I am jaded because all Hollywood has been for the past decade is reboots, remakes, re-imaginings...nothing original in quite some time from anyone.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am jaded because all Hollywood has been for the past decade is reboots, remakes, re-imaginings...nothing original in quite some time from anyone.

I can picture it now -- droids with precocious personalities, because SW has never done that before. :rolleye0014:

BTW, why do (maintenance) droids even have personalities? It seems highly impractical to engineer them with personal traits and emotions. They're machines designed to carry out specific tasks. :daniel_new004:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
It is likely that the original BSG was set in the same universe as Star Wars but cannot be considered a spinoff because none of the characters crossed over.

Yeah ... no. The only connection between the two are critics' comparisons.

Bluce Ree

I can picture it now -- droids with precocious personalities, because SW has never done that before. :rolleye0014:

BTW, why do (maintenance) droids even have personalities? It seems highly impractical to engineer them with personal traits and emotions. They're machines designed to carry out specific tasks. :daniel_new004:

And when they can't fix the thing they're tasked to fix, how would they know to start kicking it, hitting it with tools and swearing at it?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
roflbot.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah ... no. The only connection between the two are critics comparisons.

Oh, totally yes...but viscerally, they were related (intentionally). When it came out, it was immediately seen as emulating the Star Wars feel and look, without being related to it overtly or even covertly.

Bluce Ree

Oh, totally yes...but viscerally, they were related (intentionally). When it came out, it was immediately seen as emulating the Star Wars feel and look, without being related to it overtly or even covertly.

What I mean is, they were not in the same universe. One was in George Lucas's mind and the other in Glenn Larson's mind.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What I mean is, they were not in the same universe. One was in George Lucas's mind and the other in Glenn Larson's mind.

They were in no way actually related. What I am saying is that it was envisioned (by Glenn Larson) as a serialized form of a Star Wars saga. Obviously, he could not overtly connect anything to Star Wars characters, the universe or story because he was ripping them off, but it was his original intention to emulate Star Wars (as he has done with many other original cinematic creations). How much do you know about this aspect of Glenn Larson's M.O.? :)

Excerpt:

Despite his success, much criticism has been aimed at Larson for his perceived general lack of originality arising from the fact that many of his television series are seen as small screen "knock-offs" of feature films. The noted sci-fi writer Harlan Ellison once referred to him as "Glen Larceny" for the notorious similarities between Larson's shows and cinema blockbusters,[4][5] for example, Alias Smith and Jones was taken from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; McCloud from Coogan's Bluff; Battlestar Galactica from Star Wars; B. J. and the Bear from Every Which Way but Loose; Automan from Tron and The Fall Guy from Hooper.

When it came out, audiences internalized it as being "like a Star Wars TV series", and it felt exactly like that because of the glow of the Star Wars effect.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Because G Lucas' was/is apparently absent

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
They were in no way actually related. What I am saying is that it was envisioned (by Glenn Larson) as a serialized form of a Star Wars saga. Obviously, he could not overtly connect anything to Star Wars characters, the universe or story because he was ripping them off, but it was his original intention to emulate Star Wars (as he has done with many other original cinematic creations). How much do you know about this aspect of Glenn Larson's M.O.?
When it came out, audiences internalized it as being "like a Star Wars TV series", and it felt exactly like that because of the glow of the Star Wars effect.

The original Battlestar Galactica also benefited from people's interest in ancient astronaut theories from Erich von Däniken's best-selling 1968 book Chariots of the Gods? and its sequels. The people in the fleet were traveling to the 13th colony named Earth, which would make Earth's current hominid inhabitants the descendants of ancient astronauts. Glen Larceny also stole names and concepts from the LDS church, of which he was a member.

If you ever listen to Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM radio program, then you will notice that a lot of the callers about UFO topics are LDS members.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

the problem with ancient a,iens and other shows like it is that, yes, they do bring up a lot of interesting things about previously unknown or little known anthropological and historical issues

BUT

then they go and do the whammy of "it was the aliens that did it!"

thereby throwing all credibility or seriousness over looking at these issues

take the Gobelke-Tepe find

a, by all appearances, neolithic temple complex with very fine detailed stone work and carvings. done at a time when, we are told, man was barely out of the cave.

it is clearly an old,old place and was clearly done by humans on their own (probably because of their high success rate in agriculture and their security factor gave rise to the "leisure time" in which to create such extravagances)-but "Mr Hair" and his fellow kooks just throw it all into the trash pile by equating all of these old human creations with aliens

i put these kind of things in the "lost civilizations" thread