Star Trek: Phase II? Ever heard of them?

Tropicana

Council Member
I was on the look out for some gay themed films/comedy to get when I stumble onto this.

"Blood and Fire" is an episode written by David Gerrold for possible use on Star Trek: The Next Generation. The script was commissioned and written, but never actually filmed because certain studio executives had a negative reaction to its positive depiction of an openly gay couple.

With Gerrold's permission, Carlos Pedraza rewrote Blood and Fire for the fan series Star Trek: New Voyages. Gerrold did a final draft polish (possibly to expand the gay relationship to something more than a hint) and also directed the episode.
http://www.startrekphase2.de/en/4x04_blood_and_fire_part_1.html

Interesting... I do like the trailer tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZvjWzXCHis

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep, there is a thread about it here somewhere.

I was on the look out for some gay themed films/comedy to get when I stumble onto this.

http://www.startrekphase2.de/en/4x04_blood_and_fire_part_1.html

Interesting... I do like the trailer tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZvjWzXCHis

It used to be called Star Trek The New Adventures. That fan Trek series is VERY well done. They have even had George Takei, Walter Koenig, the actress that played Tasha Yar, the actress that played Yeoman Rand and many others on that show. The stories are engaging and the effects are not bad. Worth a look-see if you havent seen them!

Tropicana

Council Member
I'm currently downloading the "Blood and Fire" episode which is free from their website and see what it is like. If the 2 parter episode is as interesting as their trailer, it should be entertaining stuff. :)

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

It used to be called Star Trek The New Adventures. That fan Trek series is VERY well done. They have even had George Takei, Walter Koenig, the actress that played Tasha Yar, the actress that played Yeoman Rand and many others on that show. The stories are engaging and the effects are not bad. Worth a look-see if you havent seen them!

I actually saw a fan-made thing on youtube last week which had Nichelle Nicholls & a couple of others (can't remember who) but it also had Ethan Phillips (Neelix) as a freighter captain at the start. The SFX were pretty piss poor but the premise looked sound.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
That goes to show ya, you don't need to spend billions to deliver a good story.

That is so true. I mean one of the best movies of 2010 was in my opinion a Swedish drama with a budget of at most 2 million dollars and they still managed to go on location in africa, shoot a pretty impressive action sequence, and get the Danny Glover to play an main character.

As for Phase II, I haven't seen it but I've been planning to. One ST fanseries I have seen is Hidden Frontier which I thought was pretty great. The effects were awful and you could clearly see that it was all greenscreened, and it was low quality so it wouldn't get pirated and sold as dvds, but they still managed to do some great and interesting stories. I also watched the spin-off Star Trek Odyssey's first episodes, but I've lost track since then.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I remember that!

I actually saw a fan-made thing on youtube last week which had Nichelle Nicholls & a couple of others (can't remember who) but it also had Ethan Phillips (Neelix) as a freighter captain at the start. The SFX were pretty piss poor but the premise looked sound.

I saw that too...you should give ST Phase II a look-see. They actually tried to make it a decent quality thing. Sure, there is a lot of greenscreen and some of the CGI is a bit grin-inducing, but overall it comes off good. It is actually done BETTER than the original when it comes to tech. :)

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I saw that too...you should give ST Phase II a look-see. They actually tried to make it a decent quality thing. Sure, there is a lot of greenscreen and some of the CGI is a bit grin-inducing, but overall it comes off good. It is actually done BETTER than the original when it comes to tech. :)

Yeah but I'm sure that you can agree......... there is nothing which beats authenticity! Stark Trek TOS was just awesome in every way........ minus the awesome special effects I guess :/

Tropicana

Council Member
After watching the episode "Blood And Fire", it certainly brought back my fondness for TOS. It was very well done, they didn't have network funding for their productions and I gotta say, I was impressed. Sure, there were a few bits that made me remember it was a fan made episode, but 90% of the time - not an issue.

Some effects like the phaser and the rifles beams were top notch. I love the conservative timeless approach when it came to the sound effects like the Transporter and the consoles. Plus, the visual effects like the ship travelling through space, the ship to ship combat etc, were all superbly done.

Overall, very well made and definitely a keeper, I enjoyed it very much. :)