Star Trek Online: Now Free-to-play

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Looks a bit cheesy why do they get the movements of the characters wrong? They look like puppets you would think with the technology we have at our disposal they would make the game look a bit less cheesy than this.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
For me, gameplay is far more important than appearance

Looks a bit cheesy why do they get the movements of the characters wrong? They look like puppets you would think with the technology we have at our disposal they would make the game look a bit less cheesy than this.
Well, if they get the gameplay right, i can forgive that.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed Overmind. I can think of quite a few PC/Console games that look pretty but the actual gameplay stinks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agreed Overmind. I can think of quite a few PC/Console games that look pretty but the actual gameplay stinks.

Unless it has good gameplay, I am not interested in the game no matter how good it looks. The original Starcraft looked great when it came out, but it's static matte textures started to look dated pretty fast. But the gameplay made it a MEGA success, just like Quake and Duke Nukem and the original Grand Theft Auto which was a 2D scroller. The pinnacle of gameplay for Grand Theft Auto stopped with Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. After that, Grand Theft Auto 4 became a platform for social networking, lame advertising and overdone gameplay. But the graphics are stunning. I played it for about a total of 6 hours. But San Andreas I still play to this day.

This game looks interesting, and if you can actually interact with all of that, including consoles on ships, weapons and planets, Im going for it! I am going to get it RIGHT NOW and check it out. :)

EDIT:

Somebody should have mentioned this, but the program is 3,726MB (3.7GB). Something that large is big enough to be a virtual machine. :)

Tropicana

Council Member
I have been playing for a couple of hours, I actually kinda like it. The space battles are my favourite tho. The character/away missions pisses me off cos they are boring but there has to be a downer.

Last night, I joined a massive space battle for the first time - Fed v Klingons and I had loads of fun with fellow STOers so it can't be all that bad. :)

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Unless it has good gameplay, I am not interested in the game no matter how good it looks. The original Starcraft looked great when it came out, but it's static matte textures started to look dated pretty fast. But the gameplay made it a MEGA success, just like Quake and Duke Nukem and the original Grand Theft Auto which was a 2D scroller. The pinnacle of gameplay for Grand Theft Auto stopped with Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. After that, Grand Theft Auto 4 became a platform for social networking, lame advertising and overdone gameplay. But the graphics are stunning. I played it for about a total of 6 hours. But San Andreas I still play to this day.

This game looks interesting, and if you can actually interact with all of that, including consoles on ships, weapons and planets, Im going for it! I am going to get it RIGHT NOW and check it out. :)

EDIT:

Somebody should have mentioned this, but the program is 3,726MB (3.7GB). Something that large is big enough to be a virtual machine. :)
i agree tho i have only played GTA4 for maybe 5 mins since i dont have a machine or a console that could play it.

however GTA 5 could hold promise if the world is as open as GTASA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
indeed it really does the question is if it will play as good as GTASA and if the world will be as big and open..

I had the new one (GTA4) and took it back. I got stuck in a gutter trying to run but the gutter was only about 8 inches high. The physics on the cars is WAY overdone and just driving them is draining. The new one LOOK amazing, but will the gameplay match the world its in? I have spent countless hours perched on buildings overlooking a freeway and blasted passing cars with rockets until getting a 6 star wanted level, then shooting down helicopters and blowing up SWAT cars and FBI agents. LOL!